Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

MyKey delete

City
Victoria
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE hatch
Accidently set this up the other week, now I want it gone. We have two sets of keys, only one of which is capable of starting the car. The other can lock/unlock and turn on accessory mode, but does not crank. "KEY NOT DETECTED". Worked fine until the battery died. Upon replacing it it ceased normal function. This is the admin key, however it does not give me the option to remove the MyKey limitations on the one that actually starts the vehicle. How do I deal with this? And why doesn't the admin key work properly in the first place?

Kinda getting ticked off with this car lately lol

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The my key features should be explained in the owner manual. That's not a common Fiesta option. I have only been aware of that one on Focus and Fusion. I would take the opportunity to replace the battery in both key fobs before you perform a reprogramming on the vehicle! Use a quality coin battery like Duracell or Eveready energizer.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
When I got my Fiesta, it came with two "Admin" keys.

So if the display shows that more than one key is Admin - then that other key has to be present in order to allow changes to any keys or to introduce any key into the system.

To find that out go to MENU > Vehicle > My Key and review the keys it's thinks it should have. If it shows two Admin keys but only one in your hand, then you will have to see a dealership to restore a proper Admin key so you can release or change that third one.

To the best on my knowledge the Fiestas require 2 Admin keys for any changes to key hierarchy and functions allowed can be performed.

In a 2015 in the OM it starts on or about page 50

Further Advice:
  • When you buy a car used.
    • Best to locate ALL the keys for the vehicle - I know it's expected; during the sale to find you may need to let the seller be acknowledged that the previous owner has "issues". The previous owner may not have surrendered all the keys to the vehicle when ownership and possession was changed.
    • So, if this is a "Take it or leave it" type of sale - it might be better to simply purchase the car and let the Title Taxes Insurance - plates ; everything you need to make that car yours (If you still want it) to clear and protect you - then take the step and simply bite the bullet and take the car into a dealership for a new issued key to replace any set that was left or lost by the previous owner. Get your car secured by the best and efficient means possible to ease you, your vehicle and and underwriters mind - it may be expensive, but this may be the only way to protect you - even when dealerships and or public sales - clear the title and you finance it. There may be scruples over the vehicle you cannot control- but you can control who has access to it.
    • I'm not a lawyer so take this advice with a grain of salt - even if ALL the car keys are present - even then you should also think about securing a spare key for if ever there is an instance where you need to recover the vehicle due to a prank, theft, carelessness or OUIL-condition causing the vehicle to be impounded - you may never get the set of original keys you bought the car back due to forfeitures. So the spare set you have in a safe zone - may be the only method you can use to get your vehicle back and also show proof of ownership.

Last edited:
OP
Plain Jane
City
Victoria
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE hatch
Thread Starter #4
The my key features should be explained in the owner manual. That's not a common Fiesta option. I have only been aware of that one on Focus and Fusion. I would take the opportunity to replace the battery in both key fobs before you perform a reprogramming on the vehicle! Use a quality coin battery like Duracell or Eveready energizer.
We don't have the owner's manual unfortunately. I used an engergizer 2032 lithium battery. Did the key relearn procedure a dozen or so times (cycling key 8 times + press central unlock botton). Gave us the "all clear" chime but never got the car to recognize the key and crank the vehicle

OP
Plain Jane
City
Victoria
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE hatch
Thread Starter #5
When I got my Fiesta, it came with two "Admin" keys.

So if the display shows that more than one key is Admin - then that other key has to be present in order to allow changes to any keys or to introduce any key into the system.

To find that out go to MENU > Vehicle > My Key and review the keys it's thinks it should have. If it shows two Admin keys but only one in your hand, then you will have to see a dealership to restore a proper Admin key so you can release or change that third one.

To the best on my knowledge the Fiestas require 2 Admin keys for any changes to key hierarchy and functions allowed can be performed.

In a 2015 in the OM it starts on or about page 50

Further Advice:
  • When you buy a car used.
    • Best to locate ALL the keys for the vehicle - I know it's expected; during the sale to find you may need to let the seller be acknowledged that the previous owner has "issues". The previous owner may not have surrendered all the keys to the vehicle when ownership and possession was changed.
    • So, if this is a "Take it or leave it" type of sale - it might be better to simply purchase the car and let the Title Taxes Insurance - plates ; everything you need to make that car yours (If you still want it) to clear and protect you - then take the step and simply bite the bullet and take the car into a dealership for a new issued key to replace any set that was left or lost by the previous owner. Get your car secured by the best and efficient means possible to ease you, your vehicle and and underwriters mind - it may be expensive, but this may be the only way to protect you - even when dealerships and or public sales - clear the title and you finance it. There may be scruples over the vehicle you cannot control- but you can control who has access to it.
    • I'm not a lawyer so take this advice with a grain of salt - even if ALL the car keys are present - even then you should also think about securing a spare key for if ever there is an instance where you need to recover the vehicle due to a prank, theft, carelessness or OUIL-condition causing the vehicle to be impounded - you may never get the set of original keys you bought the car back due to forfeitures. So the spare set you have in a safe zone - may be the only method you can use to get your vehicle back and also show proof of ownership.
In car menu says 1 admin key and 1 MyKey, along with the total milage driven on the restricted key. When starting the vehicle it will say speed limited to 130kph (80mph) and to please drive safely. Fuel light comes on at a quarter tank and volume will lower at high speed. The admin key cannot start the car after I replaced the battery

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Wow, try another battery for verification?

Then the condition of the Supervisor key is failing - which may mean two new keys - for the battery it had - may have been good, but the chip in the fob failed - replacing the battery and still no action - then the Fob is possibly toast.