Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Engine hesitation - wet spark plug

City
Washington
State
DC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Fiesta ST
I had almost 50,000 miles on the original spark plugs and I was having an engine hesitation under hard acceleration like it was misfiring but no engine code. I decided it was time to replace the spark plugs and I noticed one of the spark plugs was wet. Is there an underlying problem? The misfiring/hesitation problem went away with the new spark plugs.
image_67220481.JPG

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
They look similar to me. Did you measure the gap?

OP
B
City
Washington
State
DC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Fiesta ST
Thread Starter #3
They look similar to me. Did you measure the gap?
No. They were originals straight from the factory. The 2nd spark plug from the top is wetter and is darker in appearance. Not sure if oil or gas. Probably from gas if it was not firing.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I would be looking at the plug wire to that particular plug. Wires and coil packs have a higher failure rate than spark plugs.
Also, did you notice if the hesitation was present when you drive the car from a cold start?

OP
B
City
Washington
State
DC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Fiesta ST
Thread Starter #5
It didn't matter if the car was cold or warm. It was warm when it hesitated especially under load and over 3000 rpm. The new spark plugs fixed in my case.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
You got lucky!

Lots of times those that think it's just from "Bad Gas" don't realize it until it's too late

If the plugs were from the respective cylinders - Plug 2 and 4 - check their porcelain inside electrode insulator.

#2 was definitely clean - and 4 looks like it was next in line to go. It is "cleaner" that the other two in this set.

By the tarnish on the threads - it was also the cooler (Coolest :cool:) of all those plugs - so I'm curious to know where this plug was - outside towards Belt or the opposite side towards transmission?

So to look at failure - how did the plugs porcelain outer shell look?