Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Engine cooling fan not coming on

Swanepga

City
Pretoria
State
Non-US
Country
South Africa
What I Drive
Ford fiesta
I have a 2005 ford fiesta 1.6 duratec.... The engine cooling fan does not come on.... Replaced temperature switch.... Checked relay and fuses all ok...... What can be wrong

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Were you able to short the terminals of the relay to make the Fan turn on?

Fan uses a 15 or 20 amp fuse - if the original fuse was ok, was the relay tested?

It's a 2005 - 2022 - 17 years - better check the wiring.

mart53

City
Burnham on Sea
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta Ghia
Have a 1.4 Fiesta with a similar problem. Could you tell me how you sorted it- assuming you did!! Martyn

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The best way to confirm the cooling fan is not functional is to jumper the relay to confirm if it works or not.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The Relay from the fuse box, sends a wire to the PCM to complete a circuit that GROUNDS (sends power thru) the COIL side of the relay - the coil energizes and the contacts it has inside the Relay, then complete ANOTHER circuit by letting the Circuit GROUND thru it and the fan - so the circuit is completed and the FAN runs - for as long as the Relay is energized by the PCM telling the Relays' coil to do so.

Here's the Problem....
1684675927976.png

There are at LEAST 3 variants of the "Cooling Fan" circuit used in Fiesta or ANY Ford model - so the PCM uses AT LEAST 4 different points to turn on and off the coils to those relays that control those Fans - and in some variants a DROPPING resistor is in series with one relay that powers the FAN to slow it down as a LOW-SPEED fan setting to make it efficient and quieter and only kicks into high speed FAN (full Speed) as demands are made to keep the system cool.

To help you - you'll need to find the RELAY the runs the fan, it will have a circuit imprinted on it (I hope) so you can review the Pin out and which pins control what - so you can find the FAN contacts - jumper them, and see if the FAN works - if that test passes - look on the RELAY for the Squiggle box and it's lines showing which pins are used - there would be two.

The TVS means a Transient Voltage Suppressor (Diode) - a key ingredient to keep the coil of the Relay from damaging the PCM if the relay is ever "overpowered" by a voltage spike - if the event were to occur, that can damage the PCM!

So this may mean a trip to the shop for a diagnosis. The PCM can be damaged and may need to be replaced.

This also goes back to properly functioning charging system, a loose battery cable or a bad jump start done years ago can leave behind damage that accrues into a failed PCM caused by poor voltage regulation. So keep after your battery and maintain good connections that you can get access to - as you can - to help reduce this and prolong the life of the car.