Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Welcome newcomers, please introduce yourself!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
You're in the right place. Fiesta - S SE SES A AXE SVT (ST even) XC ABC NBC CBS - or whatever you style of trim you prefer - you are in the right place!

Welcome!

Shubbs

City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan
Hey there im new to the group. I have a 2012 fiesta sedan........tuxedo black. She's not perfect but she's been good to me up until now. Having ac issues :( PLEASE HELP its 101F here in houston this week.......... i miss my AC ;(

OP
MKVIIST

MKVIIST

Staff Team
State
AZ
Country
United States
Thread Starter #364
Hi everyone - I just got my new to me car. Its a white Fiesta a little 2 door and I am so happy with it. I have named all my prev cars and my new one is called Marshmallow, most friends hate it but i think its great
Welcome!

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Hi everyone - I just got my new to me car. Its a white Fiesta a little 2 door and I am so happy with it. I have named all my prev cars and my new one is called Marshmallow, most friends hate it but i think its great
Welcome!!

RoyalCylon

City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta SE 2015
Hello hello everyone. I have a Ford Fiest SE 2015 and I love love it. It's been problem free until recently. I hope someone can provide insight.

On three occasions when starting the vehicle and shifting into Reverse, I receive a ‘Transmission failure. Service Immediately. OK’ error message. I clear the error, i.e., push "ok" button and the vehicle will no longer reverse that is move backwards. I turn off the vehicle, restart it but the error message reappears, when I put the gear selector into Reverse. However, the vehicle will drive forward when I put the gear shifter into Drive.

On all three occasions, I have been able to get my vehicle to be able move in reverse after I do the following. Put the vehicle into Neutral, push it back 2-3 yards. Start the vehicle, put the gear shifter into Reverse and it moves backwards. I put the gear shifter into Drive, and it moves forward. No error messages.

I have driven the car several hundred miles in-between receiving and “fixing” the ‘Transmission failure.’ warnings with no issues. It drives and shifts brilliantly. Another troubleshooting step: Checked for error codes but my reader will not link.

Note, I did have Ford investigate and fix the “clutch shudder” recall in 2019.

Have you ever heard of a situation like this? I do not want to take it to Ford Dealership, without having more information.

Regards

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Have you had to jump start your fiesta recently? Maybe left something turned on and ran the battery flat dead? It sounds like a power supply issue. Maybe the battery has an internal short or you need to check the condition of the grounds from the powertrain control. If the transmission has the current updates i would be looking at the areas i mentioned.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Odd issue, - but if the shifter is working - placing the vehicle in Neutral to coast it backwards so it can find reverse gear...

That sounds like a TCM (Transmission Control Module) near imminent failure.

IT can't make the solenoid do it - you have to place the gearbox in free-wheeling mode (Neutral) means that TCM may have a power problem as it can't get enough energy into the solenoids to make it shift into reverse - you can manually do that to "line up" that gearbox to do it so the parking pawl to Reverse can occur.

So this can be two things, too much torque on the Parking pawl - from being left on an incline and now the stress of weight of the rolling load onto the pawl is enough to prevent the transmission from shifting out of park - but you're able to put in in neutral - the issue may be with more of the shifter assembly PHYSICAL alignment to its ELECTRICAL alignment - because the mechanical of the shifter still affects the transmissions gear selection and the solenoids then follow the selector to know what gear range of Reverse or Drive / Low or Park / Neutral to use.

Definitely needs a look see - Dealer? well, that may be the only option.

City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta SE 2015
Have you had to jump start your fiesta recently? Maybe left something turned on and ran the battery flat dead? It sounds like a power supply issue. Maybe the battery has an internal short or you need to check the condition of the grounds from the powertrain control. If the transmission has the current updates i would be looking at the areas i mentioned.
Thank you for your response. I haven't had to jump start my Fiesta this year. I did put in a new battery earlier (February) this year. A common occurrence in Phoenix. Everything "electrical" seems fine...radio is staticky though. I always make certain to turn off everything I can e.g., radio, lights, AC...etc.

City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta SE 2015
Odd issue, - but if the shifter is working - placing the vehicle in Neutral to coast it backwards so it can find reverse gear...

That sounds like a TCM (Transmission Control Module) near imminent failure.

IT can't make the solenoid do it - you have to place the gearbox in free-wheeling mode (Neutral) means that TCM may have a power problem as it can't get enough energy into the solenoids to make it shift into reverse - you can manually do that to "line up" that gearbox to do it so the parking pawl to Reverse can occur.

So this can be two things, too much torque on the Parking pawl - from being left on an incline and now the stress of weight of the rolling load onto the pawl is enough to prevent the transmission from shifting out of park - but you're able to put in in neutral - the issue may be with more of the shifter assembly PHYSICAL alignment to its ELECTRICAL alignment - because the mechanical of the shifter still affects the transmissions gear selection and the solenoids then follow the selector to know what gear range of Reverse or Drive / Low or Park / Neutral to use.

Definitely needs a look see - Dealer? well, that may be the only option.
Thank you for your response. I am not automotive savvy, so I'll go the Ford Dealer. I am concerned it'll be a game of "whack-a-mole" with them costing BIG $$$ until it gets resolved.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
When this transmission failure Service immediately message comes up...

I wonder if the dealership can help you in re-align the shift lever to the TCM shift "expected"

As in there may be a sensor in the transmission shift lever in the car, that tells the TCM to "go here".

Ok, if it's a dirty switch or the TCM is not getting enough voltage to send the transmission the correct shift location - then this failure occurs, it can be from poor battery grounding, a sensor wire - or the grounds between the engine and frame grounds are not equal, so the TCM sees a floating voltage - which changes - that upsets the TCM - it thinks it should be here, but the shift lever to control - due to its low voltage, poor connection issue - tells it something else - the system waits a moment but if it can't settle down, this shift failure causes that service message.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Welcome!

Be sure to look around and feel free to use the "Search" function to help you find information...

Can be quite helpful, might direct you to threads about subjects with information you never knew you needed!

Jaan Doh

City
Manchester
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
1982 Ford fiesta popular plus 1.1
Hiya all,

Im Jaan and I recently purchased a 1982 fiesta 1.1 popular plus.
I'm excited to get my car ready for driving lol.

I have some questions regarding running gear and wondered whether to post it in informal discussions or the technical forum...

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Handy Andy General Automotive Discussions 10