Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Timing belt change interval?

City
Baytown
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta
I understand my 2017 Fiesta with the 1.6L I-4 has an "interference" engine. What is the recommended interval to change both the timing belt and serpentine belt? What is the cost of doing so? Can this be done by an independent mechanic shop, or is it necessary to bring it to the dealership? Thanks all.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
According to the owner's manual, you should replace both every 150,000 miles. Any competent mechanic should be able to do it.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Cost of parts to do a timing belt replacement depends on if you choose O.E. parts or aftermarket. For this area, i prefer O.E. Ford parts. Because of the long maintenance interval of these components. I also would strongly recommend that you change the timing belt tensioner and the water pump! They are conveniently right there to be unbolted and replaced! This reduces the need to go back in later.
I dug out these images of the O.E. components. I installed them a little more than a year ago. I don't remember exactly what I paid. But it was not two hundred bucks. Maybe close. But I got it all. Including the tensioner bolt to retain the tensioner. Both made in Italy. The guy's recommend that we use red thread locker on that tensioner bolt! It absolutely must not come loose!
I thought that the timing belt was impressive. The cogs are coated with an extremely hard plastic coating for wear resistance. When you look at the aftermarket timing belt, does it have a coating like that? Betcha' it doesn't.
I couldn't find an image of the stretchy type serpentine belt. Probably forgot to back it up in the hard drive. 20210821_173341.jpg
20210821_173104.jpg 20210821_173144.jpg 20210821_180913.jpg

Last edited:
OP
G
City
Baytown
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #5
Thank you. I won't stress on it until I hit 100K. I will do a major service at that point and that should take me to 200K. Both belts, tensioner, water pump. I am pretty sure I will go back to the dealer to get the OE parts. Hopefully I am fully safe until then. I service the car well and we don't beat on it. In fact its probably 80% highway easy miles on it, so there less stress on the components.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I will add one more "must replace" item. The coolant reservoir! There is a couple of threads in the maintenance and troubleshooting section. It's a genuine time bomb. If you don't know how old that reservoir is. Get rid of it ASAP. There is no convenient time for it to fail.

OP
G
City
Baytown
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #7
The reservoir is original, I bought the car in the fall of 2017 after I lost my two vehicles in the epic Harvey hurricane flood. (We had over 4 FEET of rain in five days...)

You must truly be a Scotsman, I noticed the tartan cloth in your pics!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
SerpentineBelt.png

There's the number for the Serpentine - that pic is from a set of photos I took when I first got my vehicle.

Lost a lot of them but I resurrected this from an earlier post.

City
N/A
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta sport Ecoboost 1.0
I will add one more "must replace" item. The coolant reservoir! There is a couple of threads in the maintenance and troubleshooting section. It's a genuine time bomb. If you don't know how old that reservoir is. Get rid of it ASAP. There is no convenient time for it to fail.
I believe the coolant reservoir was only an issue pre 2014,there was a recall on them.No issue believe from 2014 onwards,🦘🦘🦘🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
No. I have already replaced the tank on my 2016 ST. It's not a reliable component past three years of age. When they fail, it will not be in a convenient place or time. At around $40 retail, it is way cheaper to just replace it every three years than having to call a tow truck even once!
I am certain that neglecting this single part will put almost as many Fiesta's in the junkyard as crashes. Because overheating the engine is several thousand dollars of damage.

OP
G
City
Baytown
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #11
I believe the coolant reservoir was only an issue pre 2014,there was a recall on them. No issue believe from 2014 onwards,🦘🦘🦘🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
If there was a recall, and it ended in 2014, there must have been a change. Thanks for that info.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
City
N/A
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta sport Ecoboost 1.0
Thank you. I won't stress on it until I hit 100K. I will do a major service at that point and that should take me to 200K. Both belts, tensioner, water pump. I am pretty sure I will go back to the dealer to get the OE parts. Hopefully I am fully safe until then. I service the car well and we don't beat on it. In fact its probably 80% highway easy miles on it, so there less stress on the components.
The kit itself is not that expensive,it’s the labour cost that hikes the price up,very big job.Mine has 88,000kms on it,all is good.Changing your oil is one of the big things with these Ecoboosts,I do mine every six months,oil is cheap,a blown motor is not.The secret is not to let all the contaminates build up on the belt & internally in the motor.Good luck.🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🦘🦘🦘🦘