Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Found extra part during timing belt change need help identifying it

City
havertown
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta se
Forum,

I was putting everything back together after replacing the following parts on my 2011 Fiesta SE. I replaced my timing belt, radiator, all hoses, water pump, and alternator. I found this part under the car. I need help identifying where this part goes. Please help. Not sure if it is important.

Attachments

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The photos are kind of small - hard to see details.

Ok, looks like some type of cover or protector of a threaded end or open hole that protected something during shipment.

The initial thought was this came from a pull ring off of a Sea Foam can - that top that keeps it sealed until you use it.

However, there is a flange or grommet. It looks, what appears to be some type of insert to protect and keep out dirt - hence the protector for shipping - I would call it safe if you have not encountered any problems for this type of plastic is low-density and if it was inside an engine - it'd get chewed up pretty good and possibly partially digested by the oil.

So, it possibly came from the box you got the kit in, it more than likely a thread protector

Ecmech58

City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Expedition
Well, I have done the timing on about 6 of the 1.6 fiesta engines and I never saw this anywhere. I think the other answer is right. A protective cover that was laying around

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I might have found out what that part is - or at least know of another similar part.

IF it doesn't act as a plug for an inlet - it's a wiper arm bushing - might have been a spare or fallen out - if you took apart the cowl of the windshield and took off the wipers for this project - then it might just be a simple bushing for one of the wiper arm pivots.