Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

TB Performance torsion bar on base Fiesta

City
seattle
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta SE HB
does anyone have any experience with the TB performance torsion bar on their base fiesta? They claim it helps reduce understeer and bodyroll. Sounds like a good deal it is a good deal as its only 100 bucks but i thought i would get a second opinion first!

Thanks! Toby

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Not to kill the party, but if you look at how the Fiestas' rear suspension is designed, there is little left to chance when it comes to body roll.

There are two types of "Kits" I see in the Aftermarket - at least that they still sell. I won't go into "Brands" just the type of anti-roll and anti sway bar.

One kit bolts to the cross member - that lower unit that holds the base of the springs and simply follows the bolt holes and the "brace" is simply an added piece of metal that follows that curve and by their claim, makes that bar stiffer - which in some ways would work.

Another type is the Bar - looks like a big square edge U-bar - that bolts to the shock mount on that cross member - two on each side - and depending on the kit, also bolts to the rear trunk-by the fuel tank - and can apply a bushing or two to the undercarriage - that helps control sway to a degree by letting both sides of the cross member accept the load shift with less stress on the member.

Again, recommend that you do research first before settling on some deal or sale - because that usually means they either didn't like it, didn't sell well, or the item didn't really do all that much except put a part of a different color of paint on the car and made it look sportier.

There are other factors that play here. The "wishbone" the Fiesta's rear suspension uses, the only failing parts are the bushings that mate the wishbone to the two tie-on points at the frame/body - that flex point is where the stiffness and wobble show up when the bushings are worn - and these kits can add a level of stress that can affect the bushings and their expected lifetime.

There are other kits - which I have not seen advertised since the Fiesta's last production year in the US - 2019. Which make more sense if you want to "stiffen the ride" or perhaps transfer some of the torque bend that the engine carriage does to the front wheels - over to more of the rest of the car. Those were helpful in larger shift and drive engagement where you needed the stiffer frame on the vehicle to handle the otherwise "cushy" feel the motor mounts did in absorbing the rattle and roar of the extra power you added as you throttled it thru the gears and the course.

There are also cross member braces for Fiesta front strut tower mounts - which I liked and used - they're installed in similar fashion - as when I drove a Toyota Scion xA before I got the Fiesta.

I guess what I saying here, is don't settle for one type - look around - not just for one style or type of kit, but other kits that may offer you better or at least an assurance of stronger reinforcement of the undercarriage. That may be what you need more of than to settle for one kind of stiffener - when other stiffeners - if combined right - can give your ride a much better feel if only to go take the kids to school or run out and pick up the groceries.