Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Preventing transmission issues?

City
seattle
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I have a 2016 SE hatch with the PowerShift automatic transmission that is not necessarily know for its long life.:( My car only has 26000 miles on the clock but does anyone know of a way of extending the life of the automatic in our cars?
thanks!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Keep the battery posts clean and tight, make sure the terminal block on the battery is also kept clean and free of corrosion.

Keep the battery (by driving the car don't just let it sit and idle) fully charged by driving it for at least 20 minutes per trip to keep the charging system working and the battery time to be fully re-charged after starting.

That means turn off power loads like Fan, Lights, Heater and Radio before you shut off the engine - so the battery can accept that top-off load of charge present at no-load, at least for a few moments before you turn off the key.

It may sound counterintuitive to keep a battery fully charged - but the TCM (Automatic) needs electrical power in order to shift and operate - the Electrical Power-Assist Steering (EPAS) - also uses electrical power - so there is no "pump" per-se in the Fiesta - just a method using electrical battery power - to mimic the automatics of older days - but uses solenoids and electrical motors to do this.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Yup.Strange as it may sound, maintaining clean ground connections protected with petroleum jelly or one of the many purpose made electrical terminal anti corrosion spray products are the best way to get an acceptable lifespan from the DPS6 box. It also doesn't hurt it one bit if you develop a driving style that doesn't send mixed messages to the controller!
The controller is observing and learning your driving style. It is going to try to anticipate what gear should be selected or if you are slowing down or about to apply brake. If you tend to drive in a "squirt and lft, squirt and lift" type of behavior, that makes the controller hesitant to make a call on which cog to grab next. Brake pedal riding or lots of light or indecisive pedal applications also serve to confuse the system. When you start your Fiesta drive it like you would a manual transmission car. Put it in gear and drive it like you are on a mission! I don't know how else to better describe it.