Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Overheating issue

Kevinh

City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 ford fiesta
Good morning! Yesterday my 2011 Fiesta overheated on me. I looked at it, and the cooling fan isnt working. I jumped out the coolant temp sensor and it came on, so the relay and fuse and fan are working. I replaced the sensor and it still doesnt come on. It does turn on with the a/c on max. Does anyone have any other suggestions before i take it to a shop? Please and thank you

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
There are two relays for the fan.

One, the AC the other is the Radiator Cooling Fan - one is controlled by the AC so to hear it click on that is a good sign that the system is functioning for it uses the "same ground wire" only thru two different relays.

So, this just means you may have to replace the Cooling Fan Relay - which HAS A DIFFERENT SIZE LUG in its pinout...

Below is for POST 2012 Fiestas'
The one with the New Nose Job with the new Chromed Grille fascia
The older 2011 and earlier Fiestas have a sloping front grille nose with same color as the body paint job.​

1639004243416.png
To find the AC Fan Relay - just turn on the AC and the relay for the fan that runs thru the AC Circuit will engage and you should find it relatively quickly and note the pinout PIN sizes are different - so you know.

• The Above is from a 2018 Fiesta - 2011 Has a Fuse Box in same area only as a different shape

Grab your owner's manual - locate the FUSES section and follow along...

See the "schematic" on the relay body? There are two sets of contacts a low-power switching side that are AMBER ARROW, and the SWITCHED LOAD side - the fan uses the SWITCHED LOAD side - and needs about 20 amps - so if the AC Fan works - the Relay for the Cooling fan would just need to have the SWITCHED LOAD Side briefly shorted to hear the fan click on - if it comes on - the relay is bad - if it doesn't the Fuse to it is blown.

If you have a continuity checker or Voltage tracer tool, the relay and blown fuse should be easy to spot.

To add more
1707069253955.png
See the F16 Fuse?
That is for powering your A/C Relay and for the A/C COMPRESSOR
the Cooling FAN will not kick on in A/C if the F16 Fuse is blown!
(It powers the system to engage the Cooling Fan Relay)

Last edited: