Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Oil weight question

OP
G
City
Baytown
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #41
. He would drive the car for around fifty miles or a couple of days and then drain it. .
That is in progress right now. I am going to put about 200 miles on it, then change to the 10W-30 with just over a pint of MMO for the next 5000 miles. Its 90+ degrees every day now here. I will let you guys know if anything blows up. :)

OP
G
City
Baytown
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #42
The MMO add & drain accumulated 210 miles, so I changed oil and the 10w-30 is in. After two days of driving I see zero issues. In fact unless its my imagination, the engine seems a tiny bit quieter. The engine temp gauge still shows four bars, and I will monitor MPG's in the coming weeks and months. At this point I do not expect to add MMO for the summer. I will reevaluate it next change, which will likely be in the late fall. All is looking good.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
I added 8 oz of MMO to a 3/4 quarter tank but have yet to drive it....will this afternoon. Also added 8 oz to oil.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Nobody should count on the temperature gauge display to provide anything more than "gentle reassurance". I would like to see how a high quality aftermarket water temperature gauge would compare to the water temperature output on my enhanced scan tool.

City
Philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Fiesta SE
Nobody should count on the temperature gauge display to provide anything more than "gentle reassurance". I would like to see how a high quality aftermarket water temperature gauge would compare to the water temperature output on my enhanced scan tool.
I'd like to somehow have that "gauge" display numerical data instead of the generalized bars vaguely relating to temperature.

Phil Forrest

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I'd like to somehow have that "gauge" display numerical data instead of the generalized bars vaguely relating to temperature.

Phil Forrest
Most of the generic scan tools,at least the "enhanced" ones, have live data and outputs. These tools are worth their weight in gold as far as I am concerned.
This image is the all the liquid additives i use.
The Lucas fuel system cleaner is awesome for soaking the gunk off of fuel injector tips. A mechanic friend of mine rigged up a plastic container that allows him to hang injectors "tip down" in the chemical and just soak.
The Marvel mystery oil is very versatile as a lubricant or decarbonizer. The Seafoam and Sta-Bil both seam to keep fuel from going bad equally well. My storage time span is around five and a half months. I cant speak to the efficacy of these chemicals for very long term storage. 20220510_191517.jpg

Last edited:

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic

Phil Forrest
I use an OBD2 broadcaster. Not all the time, otherwise I stare at it too much. But every once in a while to monitor stuff or on a long trip. Cheap and works fantastic.

DoubleD

City
Place
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta SE
Pretty cool, I'm in texas too and happened upon this thread. Gonna switch over next change

Kreatonus

City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Subaru Forester
I was looking for an online shop of smart scale, but somehow Google brought me here. Lol

City
canada
State
HI
Country
Canada
What I Drive
fordfiesta
LMAO. This forum discusses weight, but it’s about something else. I know where you can buy smart scales for the body: https://ww.vont.com/product/smartscale-bathroom-scale-weightscale/ . I would be happy if I helped you. Be sure that if you look for an online store to buy bath mats and Google will take you to this forum where we will discuss car mats, we will still help you. xD. I often can not find on the Internet what I need. I think it’s high time to change the algorithm, making it more accurate.

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
www.Bob is the oil guy.com is a good site for much more in depth discussion about lubricant properties. We talk about it more anecdotally in directly fiesta related context. For example " if you change to X oil it might result in Y fuel economy".

OP
G
City
Baytown
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #54
I am about 3500 miles into my 5000 mile oil change interval. So the next change is going to time out nicely, when I drain the 10w-30 and replace with a 50/50 mix of 10w-30 and 5-20 just in time for our cooler temps. The next change should be in the spring, so I will then return to straight 10w-30.

I cannot see any problems with running 10w-30 at all. The Fiesta seems to love it during our 100 degree summer. I have not noticed any MPG reduction either. I would assume a tiny but measurable MPG loss has occurred but its so small its within the typical variations tank to tank. I have never reset the MPG computer, and it has not changed.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Wow!

Good to know, then (IMHO) I'm not sure why the thinner oil is so "forced" upon people and the makers - for in some overheating cases the thinner oil works against the benefit a thicker viscosity oil is for. Engine damage is one example. In your situation a thicker oil provides protection you may need during such hot weather.

In the rub of this, I'm reminded of the vapor points of various cooking oils - so Olive oil having one of the lowest and it goes up from there.

Why cooking oil?

Volatility of oils in general - the thinner oils "evaporate" leaving a residue - which can help protect in the moment - but does little in lubricity and continued wear surface - it just sloughs off to another location even plugging up ports to drain the lubricant - slowing - even stopping the systems effectiveness. (Oil Filter is a good example)

OP
G
City
Baytown
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #56
Yes to clarify if I lived in Fargo, ND instead of scorching hot Texas, I would not be doing this. I think climate does matter, even if owner manuals have one size (oil viscosity) fits all. I always thought 10w-30 works good across the southern tier of the USA, 5w-30 across the middle tier, and 5w-20 is best for the norther tier. Just an opinion.

OP
G
City
Baytown
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #57
Update: The first 5000 miles of 10w-30 is now complete. I drained it and refilled with a mix of 3qt. of QS 10w-30 and 1.5 qt of M1 0w-20 at exactly 50,000 miles. This will be the "winter" oil change. l use "winter" loosely, since it rarely gets below 40 where I live. When and if it does occur, its only for a day or two. or maybe just overnight.

The 10w-30 performed excellently as far as I could tell. My MPG's are virtually identical to when I ran dealership 5w-20. I am averaging 38.0 mpg mixed. This "winter" mix I installed will last until the spring, when I will resume using straight 10w-30. I am highly. highly confident 10w-30 is perfectly safe to use, at least in warmer areas. Of course I would not suggest it in a Minnesota winter.

This 50,000 miles also marks 5 years of ownership, almost to the day. The Fiesta has been an EXCELLENT vehicle. Zero mechanical issues. One small trim issue where the trim around the windshield lost a piece on the drivers side. I am going to keep this Fiesta for how ever long it runs.