Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Key is not rotating in the ignition switch

Janjua

City
Fargo
State
ND
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Feista
In ford Feista 2011, the car key is not rotating in the ignition switch. It was working fine. I tried every thing like trying rotating the key while moving the steering wheel on both sides one by one but nothing helped.

Is because of switch cylinder? Or ignition fuse can also cause this problem?

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Beats me. I'm not sure of how it works.

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
As the key wears, the tumbler also wears. Try wiggling the key in and out while turning. Dont apply a hard twisting to the key as this could cause things to bind up inside. If you have the key code, a locksmith could cut a new key (non chip blank) to get the tumbler to turn and you would keep your old key for the security microchip and keyless locking.
It is possible the switch has failed, which would require replacement. There is a bit of a procedure to do a re&re, I believe the key needs to turn tho to attempt changing the lock out.
Without being there, its hard to diagnose. You might need to find a mechanic.
It is possible some shavings have clogged up the key and the tumblers are sticking. Try blowing compressed air or a light liquid lubricant into the lock and perhaps this will free up the tumblers.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Is because of switch cylinder? Or ignition fuse can also cause this problem?
I side with @SyntheticAtmosphere - the cylinder itself, those tumblers - I've seen lint from the pockets as well as just plain dirt, sand and sugar from candy on the fingers - get in there and really mess things up. What adds to this mess is moisture and rainy weather or cold snow where ice forms and "glues" the tumbler in place.

Time for WD-40, some compressed CO2 - a lighter to help heat the key up and placed into the cylinder to heat the goo to free the mechanism and some patience to try and not burn you, the car or blow both of you up - trying to get the tumbler freed up so you can get it working again.

Firstly - the WD-40 a very short quick shot to get the fluid in there - don't try to saturate it too much you'll only make a bigger mess, then wipe the key clean with a rag sprayed with WD 40 to clean off any lint and sugar or other debris and heat the key with a 2 second shot of heat from a lighter - the metal side ok? Any excessive heat will kill the electronics in the key - so keep the WD-40 to the metal and the switch side dry from oil - and insert the heated key working the mechanism in and out as well as the turning - not forcibly - and then another shot of WD-40 followed by some CO2 to push the oil further into the cylinder to loosen those tumblers. Repeat this - if you can't get it to work - then the tumbler and the key are not working together anymore - the key and or tumblers are too worn - time for a new set of tumbler and key-set combo.

Ignition fuse would only prevent the car from starting - you would still be able to turn the key.