Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Engine light related to gas cap?

bigfoot

City
Peoria
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Fiesta SEL
We just purchased a 2011 SEL, and the engine light has just come on. While checking around the car, I see a locking gas cap on the capless filler. Unfortunately, the seller forgot to discuss this with us, or give us a key. They are nice people, are we are working through. But I just want to ask - is this a normal thing, to put a locking cap on the filler? Is it known to trigger the engine light?

OP
B

bigfoot

City
Peoria
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Fiesta SEL
Thread Starter #2
It looks like this is a thing. It appears to me a Ford part, even. Sure wish I had the key.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
This pointless item is an aftermarket part. I think it may have been offered through the Ford accessories program as well. If a key cannot be obtained from the owner, you should first contact a locksmith nearby you that you can bring the car to them once you have explained the problem. The lock/plug is probably a five tumbler design and should be easily "picked" by a pro locksmith.
Please discard this stupid part once it is removed!
The easyfill capless filler neck is a double flapper door design with a baffle that provides plenty of anti siphon (aka- Theft) capability! You don't need that stupid plug.
The check engine light is probably a separate issue. Many retail auto parts stores will plug a generic OBD scan tool into the OBD port and retrieve the trouble code that has been stored. The stored code might have no connection to the Evaporative emission control system that involves the fuel filler tube and vapor cannister and purge valve area. please post back the result of your situation.

OP
B

bigfoot

City
Peoria
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Fiesta SEL
Thread Starter #4
Thank you for this excellent reply. We are going to the auto store today. I will post back.

OP
B

bigfoot

City
Peoria
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Fiesta SEL
Thread Starter #5
The code is P0420 [Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold]. Replacement is recommended. What a shame, just days after purchase. Seller assures me that there was no code before, and I am inclined to believe him. AutoZone gave me a list of available converters, the cheapest/best warranty being Dorman part number 674-927. It's an integrated exhaust manifold/converter, and I imagine the labor costs are significant. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

ghostRST

City
keller
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
fiesta
Hey i just bought a 2011 ses and the same thing happened to me with the check engine, this However happened after i changed the air filter, my brother took the car to his job and they cleaned the maf sensor and cleared the code, it has gone away and hasn't come back, im inclined to think there is more to this issue as it's giving me really bad fuel mileage! But so far that fixed the light, will keep you posted if i have an update on this code.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

MKVIIST

Staff Team
State
AZ
Country
United States
Hey i just bought a 2011 ses and the same thing happened to me with the check engine, this However happened after i changed the air filter, my brother took the car to his job and they cleaned the maf sensor and cleared the code, it has gone away and hasn't come back, im inclined to think there is more to this issue as it's giving me really bad fuel mileage! But so far that fixed the light, will keep you posted if i have an update on this code.

Thanks for the share(y)

ghostRST

City
keller
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
fiesta
So update, I've looked over and it does not seem likely that that locking mechanism is at fault, this according to other owners of ford vehicles that have put that cap on, my check engine light came back so now im inclined to think it is my cat that is at fault, for that im trying out some o2 spacers before i dish out 600 bucks for a new exhaust manifold and cat also found out that cleaning up the fuel filler area and puting some wd40 on it and massaging the cap open and closed is a good way to maintain that capless gas filler, thats all i got for now