Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

ac compressor clutch hub

City
north port
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
ford fiesta se 2013
Belt came off. Upon inspection found the clutch hub to my ac compressor is broken. It spins freely from the pulley and wobbles. I am guessing this is what caused problem with belt. The pulley itself spins when I turn it so it is not frozen. Question is can i just replace the hub and be ok? I own a 2013 ford fiesta se

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
You don't mention how many miles you have on the Fiesta. But, in any case i think that you might find that a new or remanufactured complete compressor and clutch assembly would be a more cost effective fix. Often times, the compressor is not far from the end when the clutches fail. Being electromagnetic, the clutch has a hard life when people leave the AC switch in the "on" mode when they shut down after a trip. Then, when later cranking the engine, the stress is placed on the clutch to turn with the pulley when they otherwise would be free spooling.
compressor-clutch.jpg

OP
R
City
north port
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
ford fiesta se 2013
Thread Starter #3
You don't mention how many miles you have on the Fiesta. But, in any case i think that you might find that a new or remanufactured complete compressor and clutch assembly would be a more cost effective fix. Often times, the compressor is not far from the end when the clutches fail. Being electromagnetic, the clutch has a hard life when people leave the AC switch in the "on" mode when they shut down after a trip. Then, when later cranking the engine, the stress is placed on the clutch to turn with the pulley when they otherwise would be free spooling.
View attachment 4298
89,000 miles. I've always been told not to turn the car off and on with ac going. Always followed the device. Not really concerned at this point if the ac works or not. I can get a clutch hub for 42 dollars. I really don't have the money for a compressor nor the appropriate equipment to evacuate the freeon .

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
That's ok. You understand the situation and can make the informed decision. At 89 k i would be very critical of the coolant reservoir. My 2011 spouted a tiny orange fountain of coolant when it developed a tiny crack in the top at that little circular indent that I was told is a release mark from the mold tooling. Every fiesta owner should be aware of this issue. The damage to the engine will be catastrophic if it bursts at highway speeds!

OP
R
City
north port
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
ford fiesta se 2013
Thread Starter #5
That's ok. You understand the situation and can make the informed decision. At 89 k i would be very critical of the coolant reservoir. My 2011 spouted a tiny orange fountain of coolant when it developed a tiny crack in the top at that little circular indent that I was told is a release mark from the mold tooling. Every fiesta owner should be aware of this issue. The damage to the engine will be catastrophic if it bursts at highway speeds!
Thanks for the heads up on the coolant reservoir. So then it's possible that if all I do is replace the clutch hub it should be ok?

OP
R
City
north port
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
ford fiesta se 2013
Thread Starter #6
One more question. I understand some fiesta come without ac. Is it possible I get a belt for one of those and bypass the compressor all together?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The AC "delete" doesn't really exist. It was a bracket and pulley that replaced the compressor. I will try to find the part number. That component was intended for the SCCA B Spec road racing series. The original belt size was retained. The dummy pulley& bracket just filled the void.
You live in Florida. I would want to have functional air-conditioning!
I would order an AC clutch kit, install it and just keep on rockin' it.

Last edited: