Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

1.6 performance

City
Jena
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 fiesta
Hey guys I'm new to the fiesta world. I bought a 2016 used car for gas mileage and work commute so I dont use my truck so much. Of course as all guys do I started looking into performance. Mine is the N/A 1.6 with a manual trans. I have a couple of questions. Of course more power is good, but I'll focus a lot on handling. With the 1.6 is the N/A and the ST turbo engine basically the same engines besides being configured for a turbo? Also can the N/A reasonably make 200-250 hp with upgrades other than turbo? I got this car super cheap and it's fun to drive the little thing so I figured I would play with it.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Hello and welcome to the forum. You made a good choice of the manual transmission Fiesta. It will give you a comfortable and economical ride.
As far as increasing the power goes, you are limited to a cold air intake and a low restriction filter, such as is popular on Mustangs and pick-ups.
The ECM is locked up on the basic Fiesta. The ST version is more mod friendly. But the ST version is not really an inexpensive car to modify. An ST owner has many more choices for upgrades and those decisions can escalate the costs far beyond what most people are expecting a small, four cylinder hatchback to be.
The handling of the basic Fiesta is much easier to upgrade. Many owners of the basic Fiesta have found that Koni or Bilstein offer much improved shocks and struts. There is also a noticable improvement to be found with lighter wheels not larger than 16 inch diameter.
Going further, some people are changing the springs to a slightly lower type when they replace the shocks/struts. There are a few other things that make adjustments to the ride/handling balance easier to adjust, like adjustable end links and poly sway bar bushings. You have to think about what you want to achieve and weigh the costs of a change . Many owners choose to do upgrades when certain components are almost ready for replacement. It helps to justify the slight extra cost for better shocks and struts if the originals are used up anyways. Good luck with your new ride!

OP
N

City
Jena
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 fiesta
Thread Starter #3
And there is no way around the computer on this car?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I am unaware of any kind of chip, piggyback ecu's or magic wand that will change the engine calibration of a Basic, non turbocharged fiesta.

City
Saint peters
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta s hatchback
The 1.6l N/A engines is what ford calls the 1.6l Ti-VCT duratec. Twin independent vairable camshaft timing. ST engine is 1.6l ecoboost. This engine is not the same and ECUs would not be compatible.

Pumaspeed UK has some performance for the duratec. But again euro versions have diffrent ECUs which mean the Tuners they offer are not compatible....bummer.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Many of the early buyers of the basic Fiesta, me included, had high hopes for the release of a couple of engine control reflashes so we could use premium fuel, upgrade the cams, injectors and intake to get us something closer to the performance of a decent 2 liter engine. Without the extra complexity of the turbo set-up. Most of us back in 2009, saw the various aftermarket parts for the Euro Fiesta and ordered our cars in expectation of being able to do some upgrades.
I remember reading that the early "handraisers" selected the manual transmission by almost 50 percent! Which is way above the normal take rate.
I adjusted my plan to work on the suspension more than the engine. I have had a lot of fun with my basic Fiesta in autocross, but it has been a process of little improvements and work arounds.

City
Saint peters
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta s hatchback
Many of the early buyers of the basic Fiesta, me included, had high hopes for the release of a couple of engine control reflashes so we could use premium fuel, upgrade the cams, injectors and intake to get us something closer to the performance of a decent 2 liter engine. Without the extra complexity of the turbo set-up. Most of us back in 2009, saw the various aftermarket parts for the Euro Fiesta and ordered our cars in expectation of being able to do some upgrades.
I remember reading that the early "handraisers" selected the manual transmission by almost 50 percent! Which is way above the normal take rate.
I adjusted my plan to work on the suspension more than the engine. I have had a lot of fun with my basic Fiesta in autocross, but it has been a process of little improvements and work arounds.[/QUOTEim

Still gonna do exhaust and intake. Got handling. Its still a very fun car in the corners for sure.

PA#J

City
Dover
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 fiesta SE sedan
Hey guys I'm new to the fiesta world. I bought a 2016 used car for gas mileage and work commute so I dont use my truck so much. Of course as all guys do I started looking into performance. Mine is the N/A 1.6 with a manual trans. I have a couple of questions. Of course more power is good, but I'll focus a lot on handling. With the 1.6 is the N/A and the ST turbo engine basically the same engines besides being configured for a turbo? Also can the N/A reasonably make 200-250 hp with upgrades other than turbo? I got this car super cheap and it's fun to drive the little thing so I figured I would play with it.
I just got mine too...having a blast in it on the back roads of Pennsylvania

PA#J

City
Dover
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 fiesta SE sedan
I'm running a k&n intake. It made a big difference on acceleration,mid range and sound. I'm thinking about opening the exhaust a little bit..has anyone done both the mods? Just wondering if it's even worth putting the $$ into it. Is the small hp gain worth it if I'm already having fun in it?

PA#J

City
Dover
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 fiesta SE sedan

PA#J

City
Dover
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 fiesta SE sedan
I'm running the k&n intake..it livens it up gives it a deep sound

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The intake noise is where the perception of power improvements comes from. When you look at where the filter is located, it’s being “bathed” in heated air that has been pushed through the coolers.
When you are driving along, as speed increases the airflow through the radiator and condenser creates a positive pressure inside the engine compartment. The location of the open element filter is very close to the underside of the hood insulation panel.
It looks “cool”. But it sucks a steady stream of pre heated air. That anyone would call this design a cold air intake system is almost a kind of ironic joke.
If the intake tube were to have an insulation wrap and extended into the cavity between the bumper cover and the splash shield for the left front wheel, then you would have a cold air intake system. There is room for you to do that tweek.
It’s really astonishing how fast the Fiesta gets to maximum temperature! In 2012 I ended up making a ducted and vented hood panel to help bleed off the heat.
Even that extreme measure didn’t work until I wired a jumper switch to the high speed cooling fan circuit.
The fiesta is a bit under capacity in the cooling area. It’s a bigger issue with the ST version.
If a engine mapping reflash had been available, I realized that I would probably have to plumb in an air to oil heat exchanger. The extra oil capacity and cooler might have been a good improvement. That tiny oil to water brick cooler built into the oil filter boss is not very effective alone.
I’m not criticizing you guy’s for wanting more power! I am in your club. I’m just sharing what I have learned from the things I did with the Fiesta shortly after it was released for sale in America.

84F6ED7C-1631-423C-8328-D9BA9C9AF70E.jpeg

Last edited:
City
Durham
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta Titanium
Long story short, you can tune your N/A fiesta same as any car and get reliable power and performance with some very simple upgrades. Stick to the basic stuff like wheels, tires, air intake, struts, and comfortably. After that just “enjoy the ride” and love your car.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Less junk in the trunk leaves more for the power you do have with the motor - available for acceleration and handling.

Keep tires within a size of 24" and widths of about 7 ~ 8" tread width you won't lose too much to road friction caused by tire scrub. So that means 205 to around 185 with 45 - 65 sidewall%

About rim sizes? Well, that depends on the road conditions in your area - lots of potholes, you'll need a sidewall of 60 or thereabouts - while smooth roads you can get by with 50 easily for tire sidewall size; simple maintenance and cost - versus the more exotic tire rims and sizes that can get torn up by rough roads.

I get by with 15" 185 70 - but that got put away for the older stock 16" alloy (which I feel are too wide and not enough sidewall) which are on 195/50 16 series Optimo...per keeping the wife happy until the warranty is over on the powertrain.

If you are going to run "wide stance" - I don't, but that's due to handling on rough roads I deal with - be sure to remember your offset - no offset (rim centered to axis- tire sticks out) will place more effort on your front suspension than you may want. Most Fiesta owners stick with the 35mm to 47mm stock OEM rims of Positive offset - meaning the tire folds back into the wheel well and the tire rolls on the centerline and turning axis. Reasons for that are the crown of the roads and the ruts arriving to the stoplights caused by the trucks and heavy stuff pressing down so the Fiestas own suspension geometry tends to follow those ruts they leave behind. Wide tires make this effort more noticeable and fatiguing for typical commutes.

Manual? Good job, most 5-speed hold up well - but you don't know what the previous owner - treated it

The Hydraulics in the clutch system makes it less likely to fail but not a guarantee - no need to change the fluid but that's because most of the iB5 trannys they used don't have a drain plug - just a check plug. thats it...

PA#J

City
Dover
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 fiesta SE sedan
I have the K&N intake and aFe POWER Takeda stainless cat-back. Sounds good but not much power to be gained. They both claim 3-5hp, but I'm sure the PCM corrects any gains.
I'm actually saving up to get the Takeda...how does it sound with the intake?