Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Welcome newcomers, please introduce yourself!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Welcome!

I see you've had quite a Resume of vehicles you've had driven and experiences with. - As you use the Fiesta - you may also wonder about the older days when the vehicles were less complicated - er - except for their Emissions.

You'll Find the Fiesta to be more of an "electronic" car than analog. It has a lot of Drive-By-Wire systems, Steering Traction Control and on top of the fact that they did a pretty good job of making SYNC work as well as it does with you and the vehicle.

Although I'd love the "Physical" as in Tactile feel of the switch "on and off" and the vibration of the road surface under the steering wheel - the advanced power systems that took away the old mechanical pumps to the electrical types which only demand electrical power - as needed - making the engine more available for power and it lets the electrical handle the handling.

This brings up the point I wanted to mention. You obviously enjoy cars - you take care of them, in the Fiesta - aside from the typical engine Maintenace needs, the electrical and Battery need your utmost attention to details for even service shops can miss key points of note unless they read their manuals, they keep online at their shops.

The Battery posts to terminal connections are critical.

The Battery ground cable? May look like a two-point type - but there are three - using two cables - one from battery and one from engine - but tie to FRAME ground.

The Positive post has two connections before it even gets to the distribution terminal still at the battery. (as well as the Alternator / Starter combo from the Solenoid relay)
1647002961814.png
These connection points one from the post, one to the terminal - add a level of resistance in the circuit that if kept clean, free of corrosion and kept tight - you'll never have issues, but they do need to be looked after - they are an Achillies heel of the electrical side of this thing.

City
Philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Fiesta SE
Thanks for the tips regarding the electrical system. I'll make sure to keep an eye on the battery terminals, and keep them clean. I'm supposing the same goes for the starter terminals and all the ground points. Is there anything I need to watch out for in jump-starting the car, if needed?

Phil Forrest

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I find that if your Fiesta is jump starting another car, your GROUND cable can be to the Engine Block and your POSITIVE back at the battery Positive post for best results in supplying current to jump the other vehicle. Just flip up that Red Terminal Post cover and clamp your positive cable there.

IF YOU need to be jump started, then the GROUND is still on the Engine Block - and the Positive Posts RED terminal cap Might need to be removed so you can obtain access and the least amount of resistance at that Terminal post bolt so you can get your cars' Starter the best shot at turning over your car's engine.

Once you get your vehicle safely home - you might want to disassemble that terminal and locate all the wires and fix up any and all corrosion issues to restore the original post connections.

I also recommend keeping a set of Jumper cable of 6AWG GA. size wire or larger, so you have a good chance of getting power (current) to hit the starter to turn over quick enough and also recharge that other vehicle battery.

Also - and not many do, slide up the insulating cover of where the cable meets the clamp - and if you are able to - SOLDER the connections on all four clamps where the wire crimp meets the clamp - you don't need corroded or highly resistive connections affecting your jump start process. A little solder helps, it can transfer the power load across more strands of wire at the crimp, to reduce the heat and prevent the cable from "popping" like a fuse at the crimp of that (any) clamp from too much current draw and reduces the chances of corrosion entering into your situation when you have not used those cables and they were stored for a long time in the spare tire wheel well. Or wherever you put them last.

Poor Little Ms. Cupcake...
1647021480707.png
When her Batteries died,
Right there - dies on the spot...
...Never Had a Chance!...​

Last edited:
City
Philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Fiesta SE
I only asked about jump starting because a lot of new vehicles have different connections for jump starting as opposed to using the battery terminals as in most older cars. Sounds like it's the same. Thanks for all the tips!

Phil Forrest

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
It's not an exaggeration to say that the Fiesta is very sensitive to battery condition and maintenance of the cables, connections and the grounds.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
"Problem"? Rough engagement or crunching? Or unusual noise? If it's still in warranty i would have to recommend that you just get it in to be looked at ASAP.
If it is still under warranty, our opinions about the problem are not the preferred path to getting it repaired. Please post up what they find.

City
Norwich
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta titanium 2019
"Problem"? Rough engagement or crunching? Or unusual noise? If it's still in warranty i would have to recommend that you just get it in to be looked at ASAP.
If it is still under warranty, our opinions about the problem are not the preferred path to getting it repaired. Please post up what they find.
It sometimes lurches from second to third gear. Mostly ok but it jumps or lurches on occasions. If its a dual mass flywheel I know the cost of those!!

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
It sometimes lurches from second to third gear. Mostly ok but it jumps or lurches on occasions. If its a dual mass flywheel I know the cost of those!!
I think that flywheel design varies dependant on the engine. You might be lucky and have the traditional flywheel and single disc clutch. In either case the warranty should cover this issue.
Good luck with the outcome and please post an update on how it turns out.

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Hello all. I’m new. I’m Thomas. I drive a 2011 fiesta ses hatchback
Welcome to the forum. If you look over the various topic threads, you will find some informative and useful things to increase the enjoyment of your Fiesta. Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Hello all. I’m new. I’m Thomas. I drive a 2011 fiesta ses hatchback
Welcome, Tommyg413! I have a 2015 SE (81k miles). Love it. Fun to drive. 38-42 mpg on the freeway. Check out my build (in the signature) and also I would check out the ST forum for lots of non-performance ideas. I especially like the What did you do to your Fiesta ST today ? thread. I ran through all of that thread when I got my car about 18 months ago; it has great ideas and fun. Great bunch of folks there as well as my Fiesta friends here. How about a picture or two?

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Welcome @Tommyg413 wishing you the best for your Fiesta, I hope you get to enjoy its performance as you ride/drive it thru the various mountain ranges like the Berkshires - or even regular traffic around Boston. No matter where you go - miles of smiles!

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Welcome to the forum. Several of us here have the ST version. The Suspension is substantially interchangeable. The ST has much more engine tuning possibilities compared to the "basic" fiesta which has almost no upgrade "ability" from a performance perspective.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
I just bought a '15 Fiesta ST! So fun!
Welcome, @Izzyfiesta! I have a 2015 SE (81k miles). Love it. Fun to drive. 38-42 mpg on the freeway. Check out my build (in the signature) and also I would check out the ST forum for lots of non-performance ideas. I especially like the What did you do to your Fiesta ST today ? thread. I ran through all of that thread when I got my car about 18 months ago; it has great ideas and fun. Great bunch of folks there as well as my Fiesta friends here. How about a picture or two?

Khobshe

City
Seattle
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta Titanium
Hi all I'm K, been lurking for a few weeks leading up to getting my Mk 7,5 Fiesta SE Hatch (5mt). Just got it a few days ago and loving it

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Hi all I'm K, been lurking for a few weeks leading up to getting my Mk 7,5 Fiesta SE Hatch (5mt). Just got it a few days ago and loving it
Welcome! It's a fun little car, economical and reliable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Handy Andy General Automotive Discussions 10