Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Small leak from undercarriage

Michelvis

City
Lincoln City
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta
Hi
I have a 2019 fiesta with 61,000 miles
I have a small drip coming from my undercarriage
I’m not sure what it is but it is not oil
I will attach a picture. Also it looks like the flashing is bent?
Can anyone help? Drip is coming from area and I do see a very slight loss of coolant. I just had my oil changed a week ago and everything was fine then. I did not hit anything but did go over a steep exit from a parking lot right before I noticed the drip. It did not seem to catch or anything. I also have noticed a loss of MPG since my oil change. My average went from 35.1 to 33.8 as of today. Could this be related? Helllllp please. This is my first car in 25 years. I haven’t owned one since 1998 and back then I drove a 64 bug. I have no “new car” experience. Also I love rurally and mechanics are backed up

Attachments

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
It would help if you could give us more details on the liquid in question. Most common drip from around the firewall/floor pan is water from the air conditioning system and would be of no concern.
However if it is in fact coolant, there could be a leak from the hoses to the heating system or possibly the coolant tank (which is common on these cars).
Perhaps you could dab your finger in the puddle and check its consistency and or smell. Oil will be slippery and smell mineral like, coolant will be slippery and smell(taste) sweet. Water...obvious, lol.
The flashing is a heat shield. It can get massaged over the life of the car. However if it isnt ripped/torn or missing, generally the damage is just cosmetic and of little concern and I would only check to see if any piping or wiring pinched in the vicinity.

OP
M

Michelvis

City
Lincoln City
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #3
The drip was so tiny I couldn’t see any color but I got down under and felt and tasted as best I could. It was definitely wasn’t slippery at all and was not sweet. I’m going to keep an eye on it and I’ll take my car back to Valvoline and have the coolant topped off (there is such a tiny amount of space between max and minimum) I’m hoping it was the AC, I was using it a bit. Thank you for your reply! I’m terrified some awful thing will happen to my little car. Just overprotective I imagine

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
You can verify by turning the AC on Max and making the system work. After a few minutes condensation should start dripping on the ground. The more the system works, the bigger the puddle will be. It should drip from underneath about where the front passengers feet would be.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
You may not need them to "top off" the coolant...

Why? Some boiling will occur in hot weather as well as extending idling and slow traffic zones - that increases the heat inside the motor because there simply is not enough air blowing thru the radiator and into the engine compartment to help cool the motor in these slow motion situations - the boiling is normal - and air produced from it - is trapped in the coolant bottle up top.

Watch them when they unscrew that cap - you may hear a hiss and see deflation - as well as watch the coolant level change - even rise back closer to MAX level setting - this is normal. But also tells you to back off some throttle-heavy accelerations in those moments to reduce the trapping of this air in the coolant tank - too much air trapped - it can't get rid of it fast enough (21 PSI rated vent valve) the tank can burst from that added stress.