Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

LONG OVERDUE PROBLEM

City
Pensacola
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta SE
Hello everyone!

Well, I would like to post my first question that has been a problem for far too long on my 2015 Ford Fiesta.
About a year after I bought it used, the voice activation, Bluetooth, Aux jack, quite working. Now this is a combination of problems that happened at the same time, so I imagine there is something in common with all the problems. Now, beside taking it to the dealer of which said will be over a hundred dollars just to hook it up, not including any replacement things that might get added on, I did some basic things at home to save money.

1) I disconnected the car battery for over an hour, hooked it back up and still don't work.
2) I went to so many general web sites to look how to due a "manual of master reset" of which I couldn't find on my head unit menu.
Another question. Would it be just worth to replace the whole head unit with an aftermarket DIN unit and call it a day?

Well let me know what you guys think. Thank you. Mike G

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Hello Mike. Were you able to determine what software update level you are at currently? That information should be available through the hmi menu.
It could be a situation where the final updates weren't done.

OP
mgriffith1979
City
Pensacola
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #3
No I don't know what software I currently have. What is the "HMI menu? Is this my heads up menu?

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The AUX jack and USB is a "cord" that runs along the side of the shifter mount under the trim and kick panel goes to the loom that heads off to the Radio - wonder if that got loose?

Voice Activation uses the overhead console - but then too - has a harness running to it, in that, that also looms back to the Radio Head unit in the dash.

So have you had problems with the Radio - or tuning it?

Radio receiving ok?

All the CD controls work?

OP
mgriffith1979
City
Pensacola
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #5
Handy Andy,
I do have a empty battery icon that wont go away although my phone isn't linked to the console. The radio works perfect along with tuning. The CD player acts goofy, it will says there is a CD in there when there isn't, and vice versa.
The aux jack don't work either when I plug in my phone.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
How long has it been since you replaced the battery? A lot of these electronic bugaboos come from a tired battery. It'll start the car, but the systems need correct and consistent voltage to work right.

If the battery is new-ish, I'd check for corrosion on the grounds and terminals, then go from there.

City
So Cal
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta S 1998 Ford ZX2
Handy Andy,
I do have a empty battery icon that wont go away although my phone isn't linked to the console. The radio works perfect along with tuning. The CD player acts goofy, it will says there is a CD in there when there isn't, and vice versa.
I had the same issue with the phone battery icon staying on despite the phone not being linked. My Bluetooth and aux stopped working as well. I had it fixed under warranty. The dealer stated they replaced the APIM

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
There is a "Battery" icon in mine as well...

So, this occurs when you first reseat (Reset the "disconnect the battery cable" procedure) the battery in the engine compartment. - and after SYNC needs to do a reset or reload of itself...

1638193642293.png

There is a SEPARATE battery for the PATS and Anti-theft system - the SYNC unit does not use this in the USA - so it shows no battery - the thing is a lot like a car alarm sounder (look up MK7 Battery Sounder) it's an anti-theft alarm
I believe it's this device it "looks" for and shows its icon "battery level" - This was described to me when I was first looking at buying one of these cars and they asked if I wanted to have Pushbutton start or key - I asked for key but also asked why - so they showed off some of the ways these vehicles are more secured

Whatever that means...

So, the "icon" may simply be that it's looking for and has not found that device...

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Handy Andy,
Hmmm...Well that CD Goofy part is a strong clue...

Since there is no CD yet it sometimes thinks there is - means something has happened inside the console - could be from one of the repairs, onto someone trying to get at something in the console and yanking on wires while doing it.

It could also be something the happened during a hot spell and the dash "distorted" it's plastic and with the weight of the equipment in it - the deformation "set" and may have dislodged the rear panel connectors - or at least placed a lot of torque on them from that heat / thaw cycle

You can see a little idea of what I'm getting at here...
https://www.fordfiesta.org/threads/in-search-of-stock-radio.8381/post-21630

That is similar to your radio, but it's only a guide not sure if it can lead you down that right rabbit hole or not, but it's worth it to know your car inside and out - it will take a day to do this disassembly and reassembly but it does give you some insight into how the thing is put together.

OP
mgriffith1979
City
Pensacola
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #10
How long has it been since you replaced the battery? A lot of these electronic bugaboos come from a tired battery. It'll start the car, but the systems need correct and consistent voltage to work right.

If the battery is new-ish, I'd check for corrosion on the grounds and terminals, then go from there.
I have a new battery a year old and corrosion free terminals, I check those alot.

OP
mgriffith1979
City
Pensacola
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #11
Hmmm...Well that CD Goofy part is a strong clue...

Since there is no CD yet it sometimes thinks there is - means something has happened inside the console - could be from one of the repairs, onto someone trying to get at something in the console and yanking on wires while doing it.

It could also be something the happened during a hot spell and the dash "distorted" it's plastic and with the weight of the equipment in it - the deformation "set" and may have dislodged the rear panel connectors - or at least placed a lot of torque on them from that heat / thaw cycle

You can see a little idea of what I'm getting at here...
https://www.fordfiesta.org/threads/in-search-of-stock-radio.8381/post-21630

That is similar to your radio, but it's only a guide not sure if it can lead you down that right rabbit hole or not, but it's worth it to know your car inside and out - it will take a day to do this disassembly and reassembly but it does give you some insight into how the thing is put together.
Well thanks Handy Andy, those illistrartions look great and will check that when I have a nice day out. Always check the simple stuff. I will let you guys know what comes of my inspection.

Micheal

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
No I don't know what software I currently have. What is the "HMI menu? Is this my heads up menu?
Its the menu for the sync feature. Accessed through the keypad and sync screen. Your owners manual can direct you on how to see what software upgrade level it is at.