Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

In search of stock radio

ChelsieD

City
Rock Falls
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta
Hello everyone I'm new to the Forum, I am looking to purchase a stock radio for my 2015 Ford Fiesta. The speakers started to make a loud crumble sound and high pitch noise and the radio won't turn on so I assume it's the radio box itself. I haven't popped the doors off to check the speakers yet but plan on doing that if the radio isn't what needs to be replaced. TIA

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
So you know, when you buy that radio - it is a "blank face" only the slot for the CD is there.

All the buttons, and that interface - is the keypad console...works thru your SYNC unit to get your sound, tuning modes and phone / BT gets sent to received from the unit as a general "amplifier" much like in a Stereo system - with the "head unit" being the Blank face for the tuning, CD, and General Audio amplification and listening - but all the OTHER stuff - USB , BT as well as Phone - all thru the SYNC unit tied to it - thru it's own interface FROM the keypad.

You're going to have several issues, a lot of this type of equipment is discontinued.

OP
C

ChelsieD

City
Rock Falls
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #3
So you know, when you buy that radio - it is a "blank face" only the slot for the CD is there.

All the buttons, and that interface - is the keypad console...works thru your SYNC unit to get your sound, tuning modes and phone / BT gets sent to received from the unit as a general "amplifier" much like in a Stereo system - with the "head unit" being the Blank face for the tuning, CD, and General Audio amplification and listening - but all the OTHER stuff - USB , BT as well as Phone - all thru the SYNC unit tied to it - thru it's own interface FROM the keypad.

You're going to have several issues, a lot of this type of equipment is discontinued.
***Thanks for clearing that up for me, so you don't think it's the radio box itself but the sync unit? I don't know much about cars I literally YouTube how to videos. I'm not sure what to do next if I put the radio back in.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Here's a pic of the "Head unit" the amplifier, tuner and CD Player...

1636492467919.png
This is the REVISED part - old OEM part was suffixed AB
This is the "Head unit"
1636585464734.png
Side View...
1636585286890.png
You can try to find that code above too...

1636492383239.png
Some connectors due to years this chassis was produced - may be different (SYNC /SYNCII and SYNC 3 e&c)
Size, type and number of pins are NOT guaranteed to exist throughout the production years.
Hope this helps...

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The only way to know if it is the Sync unit - is to remove it.

Locate Passenger side Glove Box, look under it you'll see something like this...
1636582559901.png
To gain access - you just need to untuck the FELT kick panel - it's got tabs that go into slots towards the front firewall.
Just "pucker pop" the FELT to pull the tabs away from their slots and then you can swing it down and away, then up towards the glovebox door.

It is under the glovebox and the "splash cover" FELT cover kick panel - tucked in underneath it - to reveal this...

1636583221507.png
You'll see Recessed Hex Head screws - 4 of them - in black - two on each side of this rectangle box.

If the unit was ever hit, struck or kicked from the passenger - this "box" can get damaged - there is a lot of SMD (Surface Mount Devices) on a board that houses this as a Logic unit that controls nearly everything on the car or at least has it's fingers in it.

Disconnect Battery Ground wait one minute...then proceed...

You can also see round head Hex SOCKET head - it has 4 of them - you can remove the box, by removing the 4 black recessed screws - the USB Port connector is a "pinch" type so you'll need to locate it's tab and press pinch it to pull it out to remove. The other MAIN HARNESS Connector is a grey "flip to the side" tab release to loosen the harness - the box screws can be removed to help you obtain a better grip and it's easier to get the connectors undone - install is the reverse.

IF you are having problems with the SYNC II unit - or the Radio seems to want to "hang up" and not power up - there may be a condition that itself needs to be cleared before you can even power the radio to even work.

Each vehicle's "SYNC" unit has a unique Serial ID that ID's itself to the vehicles VIN and all the modules it connects to thru the USB and SERIAL IO on the Main wiring harness - it communicates this to the vehicle and can even receive "signal" from the radio antenna and execute a reflector "ID" Ping from itself Its' part of the Passive an Anti-Theft system in these things.

IF it sees something wrong - or itself needs to "refresh" the ID to the system - it can take several minutes for the condition to complete and clear so you can operate the radio. The Radio itself needs SYNC to operate it's controls - so if it's hung up on something, SYNC can't "see" the other pieces of hardware demanding attention.

So if you're having issues with the Radio - it may not be the radio - or if it is, it's not connecting to SYNC - so both the SYNC and the Radio connectors needs to be popped off - then put back on - reseated to hopefully clear the condition.

IT is not out of the question that if some damage has happened to the SYNC unit - the unit itself will have to be replaced and the DEALER it have to "re-train" the new SYNC and it's ID to the other Modules.

Attachments

OP
C

ChelsieD

City
Rock Falls
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #6
Thank you so much for your help and photos. I'm going to work on it this weekend so fingers crossed this will get it fixed and I can have my tunes back 😊