City
Brighton
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta Zetec 2004
Hi car keeps cutting out because its overheating. Looks like a water pipe has become detached on left hand side of engine. However I can't work out where to reattach the pipe.
Have uploaded few pictures
1583587314175.jpeg

1583587244318.jpeg 1583587244318.jpeg

Handy Andy

City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Whoa!

When you see a "white powder" coating - that is your coolant dried-up.

The broken hose looks to be a "Burp" (as I call it) hose that goes to the rear valve cover by the exhaust manifold.

1583775640869.png

Don't try to drive too much on this engine - it looks to be pretty dry...

That hose is a means to keep coolant from the back - rear side of the motor from "boiling" and causing an air-pocket to form which can cause the heads to warp as well as other damage. That hose "burps" and allows coolant to circulate from that section of the motor back into the system and any air pockets to flow thru that line into the coolant recovery tank - ABOVE the shot of your yellow cap tank (Power Steering) in your photos. The "tank" is your high-spot for air bubbles in the system to purge into and coolant stays in the engine allowing for it to do it's job - circulating fluid and dissipating heat the engine makes into the cooling system.

The bubbles can form back there from a "slowing" of coolant back there - dead spot - so with all the circulating fluid, that area can stagnate and not be able to get enough turbulence to force the bubbles to break up and retun into the system to be bled off by other means back to that recovery tank. So it looks like they needed to install a line that "burps" the area back there to make sure fluid is kept in there and not an- otherwise insulating- air pocket possibly causing damage.

You can just fix it with some more hose but to do the job right requires you to use a semi-rigid line FORD used. That rigid pre-formed line is so the line won't kink or otherwise collapse if the pressures in the system towards the rear bank - fall - like in high-altitude and colder/sudden change to cold weather. It can create a vacuum trapping the air pocket back there and unable to force the displacement. Coolant has weight so the vacuum formed may pinch the line closed and keep the system from removing that air pocket.

Get that thing fixed there is a "nozzle" on the tank that goes to...
1583776053115.png
So to see that hose "cut off" like that makes me wonder if there was some intentional stuff going on.

Either way, you need to replace that line ASAP!

Last edited:
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I also realize that its a 2004 Ztec motor and what I've got is a Duratec motor - which are different but in 2004 they had used a "Tap" to a line that recirculated the radiator coolant to the front radiator - not the recovery tank - instead they "tapped" off the radiator BACK to the Recovery tank - which in a Duratec line of the Fiesta, they capped off the Radiator one - so what did they go? Well, they then took the overflow recovery overflow line and used that as their Purge line - you can see that in the research I did...

Examples...
Although not exact...
1583968314417.png

So in the various model years, they tried to keep costs of re-tooling down - after all it was supposed to be the Loss-leader economy version ...

But to me this routing made more sense when I saw this...

1583968782840.png
Note Power Steering And Radiator Coolant recovery tank
CAP COLORS are NEARLY the SAME - Sunny Yellow
- so you had to pay CLOSE attention to where to fill, and what to use
when it came to checking and replenishing
or topping off your fluid levels...
Even For The Experienced Techs!

One thing I'm concerned about though...
1583970901078.png
Ok, so where would that line go?

It is my belief that the Overflow hose, the one that trucks down in the photo - may need to be there, but the PURGE line needed to go to the Radiator.

How?

See the graphic below for ideas. I had to take a trip to a junk yard but all I could find was too smashed up to help. So I'm only offering - so IF YOU ARE NOT SURE CONSULT A DEALERSHIP TO HELP PROVIDE ASSISTANCE OR DIECTIONS ON HOW TO REPLACE THIS HOSE.

Ok, to keep it short, there were purge lines and extra "outlets" or "vents" for this - it also depended on where your vehicle was designed to be operated in a region for what purpose (passenger or Taxi - Self - Employed - business stuff) and - what country you reside in. So in one part of the world - you kept all hoses together and no Drain or overflow hose was available per that country or principalities dictated. So that meant you either replaced that hose to the tank - as you see tucking down in the above photo and the Purge Line went straight to it. Else the other method was to re route the purge line to the Radiator because it has a provision for the "burping" you needed - see below...

But then ...they provided an Air pocket relief system for the Radiator...
1583969835714.png
So you were provided at least a couple of places in which to purge air pockets that can form in engines that shared this chassis.​

So as I did this project I came away with a better understanding of Fords' ability to adapt an engine to a chassis and a sadness or Loss as to see such an effort now closed off and they - Ford - has moved on to better and bigger things. - Fun to see the Evolution of this chassis. Just sorry to see it go.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Great Lakes Fiesta Owners 0