Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

BCM Replacement for Sync 3 Upgrade Question

City
Crystal Lake
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Fiesta SES Hatchback
Hi gang!
I'd like to upgrade my 2011 Ford Fiesta SES from Sync 1 to Sync 3, but my car doesn't send the right signals to the Sync 3 module to turn the screen on. I've heard that getting a used BCM (body control module) from a 2015 Fiesta will then send the right signals to turn on the screen and allow me to make the upgrade. However, I'm concerned that replacing the BCM will make my relatively low mileage (47k miles on my odometer) get changed by whatever is in the used 2015 bcm. I have a few questions:
  1. Does the BCM in the Fiesta hold the miles and, if I replace it with a 2015 Fiesta BCM, will it override my real mileage with whatever is stored in the BCM?
  2. If it does do that, is there a way to avoid this from happening?
  3. Would you all advise against making this move and, instead, getting an Android headunit upgrade?
Thanks, in advance, for your feedback and support!

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
This is uncharted territory. A dealership tech might have to edit the module to make it functional. But, they also would be installing a new BCM, not a used one, these items are not really generic in the sense that they will function in a wide variety of vehicle configurations. Because of the multitude of variations. It’s a very difficult question to answer. Because of the cost and complexity of the Sync 3 system.

OP
A
City
Crystal Lake
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Fiesta SES Hatchback
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I did find an inexpensive ($25) BCM from a 2015 Fiesta (hatchback and 1.6 AT like mine) that only had 10k miles on it. I’m switching from. BCM with a part number of AE8T-15K600-AD to one with a part number of AV1T-15K600-LK. I might experiment by saving my BCM’s config for safety. Then put in the 2015 BCM and see if I can get things going with FORScan. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I figure that I can always revert back to my BCM if all goes awry. Does this sound like an unsafe experiment?

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
You always should save the “as built” configuration when you are messing around with forscan. It is your only pathway out of bad decisions in your changes

Mercurios2011

Premium Account
City
interlachen
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 fiesta se 5spd
The only issue I see is being the fact that odometer reading is digital and not analog ,sometimes interchanging modules may not be as simple as plug and play ,even tho they probably connect the same way
and have the same pin numbers ,it may come down to software recalibration due mainly to service intervals per mileage on the vehicle . Other than that I don't see why it would not be doable ,Like you both said, saved the original file/software