Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2013 ford fiesta ignition problem

scott5511

City
oklahoma city
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 ford fiesta
i have a 2013 ford fiesta, 5 speed. when i turn the key to the on position everything is fine. when i turn the key to the run position everything is fine. but when i turn to start position the car will not stop cranking, even when i let my hand go. i have to literally turn the key back to on or off position for the car to stop cranking. if i try and start the car i can actually get out of the car and the car will still be cranking until i manually turn it back. this happened while i was driving down the interstate at 75mph. the car just died. thank you to anyone who replies

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
That "crank" once the thing is in Neutral, (or park) that crank signal comes from the "START" pulse - if you lose grip of the key - the thing continues to crank until it thinks it's started - it (or should) last only 10 to 15 seconds, but when you're in a panic and it won't turn off - it seems like forever. That timer function is so the fuel pump and the oil pressure can get up to a point where it can run and not overheat the starter.

So if it's one of those get out of the car and back in - yes there is a problem with the crank signal not clearing and since the engine is not running or senses it's not - it should set a CHECK ENGINE light and trouble codes.

OP
S

scott5511

City
oklahoma city
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 ford fiesta
Thread Starter #3