Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Winter Tires, Lets hear what you think

L

lessard.dcj

Winter is coming. for some sooner than others. lets hear your thoughts on bang for buck rubber or best rubber, cost not a factor.

MKVIIST

Staff Team
State
AZ
Country
United States
I've always had good luck with Blizzaks. I wonder if 15" wheels will have any issues with the brake clearance.

OP
R

rodmoe

Thread Starter #3
well the spare tire is a full size 185/60/15 on a steel wheel so it should fit as long as the offset 47.5mm,bore 63.3mm and backspacing 149.5mm are right

OP
L

lessard.dcj

Thread Starter #4
i tend to look for cheapest winters possible as i spent my whole life not having them in northern ontario without an issue, so i figured any winter tire must be better than an all season for the snow.

OP
R

rodmoe

Thread Starter #5
I will be reusing my Hakkapeliitta r's that I had on my last car and really loved them in the snow slush and ice.. they did well on the lake too (frozen of course)

Last edited:

MKVIIST

Staff Team
State
AZ
Country
United States
well the spare tire is a full size 185/60/15 on a steel wheel so it should fit as long as the offset 47.5mm,bore 63.3mm and backspacing 149.5mm are right
Very good thank you sir. :)

OP
L

lessard.dcj

Thread Starter #8
so if im looking for rims that stick out a bit further, to give the car a wider stance what would you suggest

OP
L

lessard.dcj

Thread Starter #10
umm ok so blizzaks or Hakkapeliitta are the options i guess

OP
M

MJ1246

Thread Starter #11
I've done a lot of research and questioning the guys at the Tire shops, I've been led to the Michelin Alpin PA3 after all of my time spent.

OP
R

rodmoe

Thread Starter #12
so if im looking for rims that stick out a bit further, to give the car a wider stance what would you suggest
that I guess would depend on the offset of the rim or the width of the tire going with a 16 or 15 inch winter rim will give you lots more fitment options as the 17 is limited in usable sizes that will safely fit.. Once the car is out and after the SEMA show in Las Vegas NV USA this Nov. I think you will see more options as to what you are looking for. In winter tires mort any snow tire will do better than a summer tire or all season and if you want to get racey there are options there too As mentioned the Alpine and a few from other makers too. check places like Tire Rack for info and ratings as well as your local tire dealers and any other Internet source... don't mean to be vague but buying tires is up to you what you can afford and what you are willing to put up with in a tire I have had most brands and they all hold air and go round and round... ;) For my truck I keep going back to the same brand just cuz I like them so where as my cars I tend to try different flavors to see if the tire matches the hype ...

OP
R

rweidman

Thread Starter #14
I vote for Blizzaks. Wasn't much my '11 SES couldn't handle that it could drive over without getting hung up. I plan on using my 185/60/15 on alloys from tire Rack. Arrives mounted and balanced and ready to put on. Rolling diameter is very close to stock 17s.

OP
L

lessard.dcj

Thread Starter #15
question is do i keep stalk wheels for summer or use them for winter and buy new summer wheels, and go with Blizzak or PA3 for winters.

OP
R

rweidman

Thread Starter #16
Winter Tires Mounted and Balanced

For the cost of dedicated winter tires on separate rims you save yourself the hassle of getting them off of the stock rims and winter tires mounted on the 17s. Most tire people agree that a narrower and higher profile winter tire gives much better traction and control than low profile wide tires, hence a 185/60/15 tire mounted on dedicated winter rims. The tire rack gives you great deals and mounts and balances them FREE. I just hope my 15" alloy rims will clear the calipers. I think they will since the spare is a steel rim 15".

OP
L

lessard.dcj

Thread Starter #17
i know tire rack is good but im in Canada, we dont have Tire Rack here.

OP
A

alexanderfreenote

Thread Starter #18
i know tire rack is good but im in Canada, we dont have Tire Rack here.
No but we do have 1010tires.com, their prices are great and I think they are based out of BC. I'll probably buy my rubber from them, just not sure if I should go with 15's or 17's.

OP
F

Froctor

Thread Starter #20
I'm gonna bring this one back.

I am also shopping for winter tires. I'm going with 15' steel rims and 185/60r15 tires

I was recommended Gt Radial Ice Pro and Pirelli Winter Carving Edge.

I had Pirelli's on my Corolla previously and I liked them. But the GT Radials are about 30$ cheaper per tires. Anyone heard about them?