Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

What clutch reset tool?

City
Pearl City
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 ford fiesta
My code reader said fork a stuck engaged. So i tested fork with the spline tool and 1 sprung back but the other didnt spring back. I replaced forks with new one regardless of the issue and i didnt want to buy a clutch reset tool so i just bought a new clutch. Nothing went wrong. It went together easily. Car started right up and no noises. Now reverse is really jerky and forward is smooth.I was told i needed to reset (or relearn) whats the tool called or the model called that i can do this? I

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I think you mean you bought an Actuator - due to the bad or stuck fork to replace that actuator with a new one.

Manual clutch is a different system and is hydraulic - so it uses 3 pedals.

What you could do is "teach" the car, for the Automatic to relearn by

Press or turn key - to ON (IGN) but not start the engine - your dash lights lite up (IGN not ACC)

Press brake - and pull E-brake handle to keep car from rolling.

Put Transmission in Netural

Turn off car (OFF IGN and ACC to OFF)

Put Transmission lever in to PARK

Press or Turn Key to IGN again - so you dash lites up. This is telling the TCM something is up - it was neutral now park.

Press Brake and SEE if you can PRESS TO START and or Turn KEY TO START and let engine start and and warm up.

Release E-brake and drive - give it a drive test run in forward first, then try reverse action (due to new clutch media it might grab causing the "jerky motion" and action) drive to and stop and do this - in an empty parknig lot so you can help break in the new actuator. Just back up so the system can sense and have a moment to learn reverse.

OP
B
City
Pearl City
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 ford fiesta
Thread Starter #3
Hi. Thanks for the response. Not the actuator (the motor) thats on the outside. Its the fork on the inside,

Also this is automatic, the dct6 transmission.

i will give this reset method a try. I also thought the clutch was new making it extra grabby but forward is smooth and reverse isnt. So that made me think it wasnt the new clutch being grabby

Attachments

OP
B
City
Pearl City
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 ford fiesta
Thread Starter #4
That didnt work. I was able to see the screen that said transmission ready. There was a video i seen. He had a scan tool and made the clutch activate and some other things one item at a time and i think there was 4 or 5 items, that is how he reset/relearn the trans. I was trying to do it that way and get that tool. Do you know what tool i can use to do that?

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Since I drive a Manual, no, sorry.

But if you can find that vid, post the link to it here to help others if it can...

Now since it's dealing with a fork, the OEM one could have "gouged" the media that the actuator will burnish against. So there may be (but in your case does cause) some roughness to the shift and to make it smooth - it will have to wear, so in these cases there is more that may have to be done (not sure of the fork damage done which may require a rigorous disassembly) due to that type of damage the internal forks can do.

Have you looked into any sort of conversation with a dealer to see if the transmission can be inspected due to this?

IF the original condition was preserved (now it is not - you replaced a defective part) there may have been a warranty coverage for it especially if the mileage was low - see if a dealer can work alongside you for the issue of the damaged fork was an internal one as as a defect in the internals you don't always have access to - per being a "normal" user and owner.

I'm just not sure if a warranty covered repair condition qualifies - so that's is why I mention the talk to a dealer about this.