Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Waterproof Intake Cover. Needed or not?

City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Black 2011 Ford Fiesta SE
It started raining heavily the other day and I was terrified my engine would hydrolock because my intake is at the bottom of my engine bay and very close to where water splashes up. Would my engine hydrolock if I drive normally in rain or would it be a good idea to get a waterproof cover for the intake?

Attachments

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Well hydrolock is really a name for water in the intake. So yes you want to avoid that, for sure! Can water get in through the filter and make it uphill to the intake plenum? Maybe.

The thing is water will be reduced to smaller particles/drops by being passed thru the filter which makes it much more likely to be introduced into the plenum. A waterproof cover does not exist. Waterproof means airproof and you need air. Think about the stock intake. It has a deep bucket to allow water & heavy dirt to drop down before, or stopping it from, entering the filter.

Where the filter is on your setup suggests a dry day for sure. I would be worried about sucking up water. Can you run the old-style pipe that moves the filter up by the battery during wet times?

OP
durtybubble
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Black 2011 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #3
Well hydrolock is really a name for water in the intake. So yes you want to avoid that, for sure! Can water get in through the filter and make it uphill to the intake plenum? Maybe.

The thing is water will be reduced to smaller particles/drops by being passed thru the filter which makes it much more likely to be introduced into the plenum. A waterproof cover does not exist. Waterproof means airproof and you need air. Think about the stock intake. It has a deep bucket to allow water & heavy dirt to drop down before, or stopping it from, entering the filter.

Where the filter is on your setup suggests a dry day for sure. I would be worried about sucking up water. Can you run the old-style pipe that moves the filter up by the battery during wet times?
I did have an intake in that area before but it caused a misfire either due to poor connection or poor airflow at the top

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Is the rubber seal still attached to the front lower edge of your hood? Not having it would allow wind driven water to possibly make it into the engine compartment.