Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

"Unsupported Device" with MyFord Sync

thnxino

City
Hutchinson
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta Sedan
Hello all,
I have a 2015 Ford Fiesta SE. I have been using a 64 gig USB drive loaded with music to play through sync. I decided to upgrade to a compact 128 gig drive. Now, it was originally formated under the exFat system and loaded my music to it. When I plugged that into the USB port it was initializing and then came up as "Unsupported Device." I ended up formatting my original 64 gig USB drive also as exFat and put music back on it only to get the same result. Upon further investigation, I read that the USB needed to be formatted to Fat32. I downloaded a program to do that since Windows 10 does not support Fat32 anymore. I formated both drives as fat32 and put music on them. I tried the 128 gig first and still got the unsupported device error. I put the 64 gig in and it took a little bit but was able to read it. My Sync is not the touch screen. It is the basic one that shows titles, temp, direction. I could not find anywhere that stated there was a size cap that Sync could not read. In fact, I was reading that people had 250 gig hard drives in their vehicles. I am just wondering if there is a way to get my 128 gig USB drive to work in my car. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you very much.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
I can't help you, but I'll give you a bump. Maybe someone else knows about this.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
I have the SYNC basic, and I have never gotten my USB to be recognized, no matter what file format it is, size, fuses not blown, tried three very different USBs all with different formats, etc.....just does not work. Gave up and now just use my phone for music and Bluetooth into the SYNC.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Wow, had a similar problem - and with similar results.

(Hope this isn't a Zombie Thread...)

After doing my research, this SYNC (sadly) Is more compatible with file formats along the lines of MS-DOS and Win 3.1 (If you remember those days) of the older 16Bit addressing and CD ROM technology like Universal Data Format (UDF).

So the best devices to use are the 32GB or less.

As you found out the exFAT, as well as FAT32, they are not compatible with each other. On top of this is the front boot loader the support chip that is inside the USB unit, the one the port "sees" and installs the driver for, tells the system "I use this..." The SYNC system isn't smart enough to know the differences and tries to use a default addressing scheme called UDF, which Apple used to support.

This is how old that stuff is...SIGH...even I still remember those days...

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I wish I could be helpful regarding this feature. I don't mess with the audio or music files. I look at the original Sync in my 2011 as an outdated piece of equipment. I really want to gut it all and go with something that is both an upgrade and has rear camera with Bluetooth.

City
STL
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE
I don't remember how large the USB stick I use is, but I used it to update my Sync 3 which required to be formatted in exfat. I use nothing but FLAC files I create from CDs I own. I think the manual states 256GB max, but there's also a file number limitation I can't remember. I haven't had an issue with playing music this way, but I have a 2019 with the most recent version of sync 3.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Yes, there is a File Limitation with the earlier SYNC modules, in the SYNC 2 - you're limited to 255 files (items) per directory entry in the "tree"

So if you "dump" a lot of files into one or two directories - the SYNC may not be able to load and sort it all out for play - wrong file sizes or file list too big.

Need to keep the File names shorter too, can't handle long names and with the SYNC I have, the file info works - but you need to put in your data (Track info) using the Properties Menu in Widows for it to recognize the "Tag" data.

Not a big deal but some aftermarket "burners" that make up playlists - can "stop Sync" in it's tracks from incorrectly placed header info done by the "Playmaker" software.

I leave the Playlist out of the USB stick and let SYNC see the files and work accordingly. The SYNC will see the "properties" embedded in the file and show it as track info - they playlist may try to override that information as part of it's own "mask" umbrella of Tags and Genera in the tracks

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Yes, there is a File Limitation with the earlier SYNC modules.....that information as part of it's own "mask" umbrella of Tags and Genera in the tracks
Hence the reason I use my phone thru Bluetooth. Make sure your phone is paired to SYNC, open your music program (I use Amazon Music), press the Talk button on the left side of the steering wheel 1611766710845.png , when prompted say "Bluetooth Audio." SYNC should find your phone, if not it will look for it. Play your music.....controlling volume is a combination of having your phone cranked up and using the car to vary it. Funny side note...when the voice says Bluetooth Audio on my car, it has a lisp.

City
STL
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE
Sorry, but Bluetooth sounds like garbage. I'm not quite an audiophile but I outgrew the 128kbps MP3 sound a long time ago, and that's what Bluetooth sounds like to me.

kappclark

City
West Townshend
State
VT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta
I don't remember how large the USB stick I use is, but I used it to update my Sync 3 which required to be formatted in exfat. I use nothing but FLAC files I create from CDs I own. I think the manual states 256GB max, but there's also a file number limitation I can't remember. I haven't had an issue with playing music this way, but I have a 2019 with the most recent version of sync 3.
PLEASE tell me how you accomplished the update !!

I have 2013 Fiesta with Sync 1 -- looks like I need sync3 in order to play flacs ... have tried the usb method ... unit says initializing for abt 45 seconds, then fails... Is it possible to get the radio up to sync3 so I can play flacs ?? 320 MP3 files play well, but do not want to convert a bunch of flacs to mp3 ..hope you can help ..

Regards, Bill Clark, Windham, VT

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Audio-Video, Sync & Electronics 1