Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Passenger Side Break Light Wont Turn On

jeisma

City
Vancouver
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2012 Fiesta
Hi,

Replaced the bulbs, didn't work. So I thought might be the fuse (probably not the issue because the other driver side bulb turns on), still won't work.

If I turn on the headlights, both rear bulbs turns on (so the bulb is not the problem?). Hitting the breaks though won't make the passenger side bulb brighter.

Any idea what the problem could be?

TIA!

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Sounds like you might have a bad socket or broken wire. Start at the socket and probe for 12V with brakes depressed using a test light or multi-meter. Then work inward, there is a connector inside the car behind the taillight and trunk trim, etc.

Here is a diagram of the lighting system, (colours might have changed, but the routing should be similar.)

Good Luck

OP
J

jeisma

City
Vancouver
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2012 Fiesta
Thread Starter #3
Apparently, not as simple as bulb or fuse change. :-(

I'll try to work this out over the weekend.

Thanks!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
You'll need to figure out what made that bulb blow.

If it's age, then replacement should have done the job.

Since the bulb is not working - can you spare a pic to show us the situation with that Brake lamp and it's lens?

Why?

The thing "daisy chains" a ground wire - it loops from one socket to another - and terminates at the Turn or Backup light.

So if both other bulbs do work, the problem may not be "Brake light" itself - but in the harness further in the car - towards the DRIVERS side - which is where that comes into play.

So the passenger side harness, if you had something in the trunk that mashed the harness - it would or should - blow a fuse.

But the other problem is where the main breakout harness for the rear lights - is at.

1679010534601.png

So since I run a trailer - I'm already aware of several issues that you'll have to look for. Nothing big, but if you have not found the Drivers side Pigtail I'm talking about - it's behind the Drivers Side Brake light and tucked in to a cubby behind in the felt and that harness is fastened and folded and tucked behind the felt - again if something big banged into it - it can crack the connector and make it loose - so try to locate it and unfold it carefully from the side panel and felt. You can pinch the tab, and pull it apart - but if it has not been touched in a while - like forever, this section is delicate and it's worse with age in breaking due to the "drying out" the plastic will become brittle and hard to separate - so use a tester.
1679010869940.png

Preferably one with a auto bulb (Filament type) so you can put a load on the wire to verify it's continuity.

Backprobe - look for the terminals BEHIND the plastic - and have someone press the brake pedal to help you deciper and locate the wires - so this for both sides passenger and Driver side - to ensure the BRAKE light wire is powered all the way to the socket.

• Lights work using 12V and are positive in respect to the Car Frame (negative) and it's ok to use the Clip side to Ground to a known good ground (screw or bolt head)

Then you just might have to replace the socket - which is a different beast in itself - which is why I mentioned the "Daisy Chain" the Bulbs' Ground wire does...