Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Passenger Side CV axle Replacement

City
North Pole
State
AK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ram 1500 2014 Fiesta SE
got a 2014 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6L non turbo with the Dual clutch transmission. Sorta sounds like a prop airplane accelerating when I drive it so I suspect that the carrier bearing on the right side(passenger) CV axle is bad. So I'm gonna replace it.

Anyone have tips or any info on this? Watched the Russian guys on youtube but they're doing it on an ST which I think is a manual. So not sure if its all the same procedures and whatnot.
Also read something about the axle being possibly damaged if its flexed beyond 18 degrees. Hopefully it didnt go beyond that when I picked it up out of the box to inspect it.... whoops.
Looked like I need to drop the transmission fluid during this procedure. So I imagine its a good time to change the fluid out and any associated filters if any. Is there a preferred fluid to put into this car? OR since I haven't had any DCT issues should I just pull the axle out, let whatever is gonna leak do its thing and then just top it back off? I know new fluids can sometimes cause issue.

OP
F
City
North Pole
State
AK
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #2
awfully quiet in here..

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The drive axles sometimes need to be pried out with a couple of flat ended pry bars. I would also have a couple of small pieces of steel plate under the pry bars fulcrum, so as to not be prying directly against the transmission case.
If you were able to get the opposite shaft removed, you might want to shine a flashlight into the opening and see if the end of the CV stub you want to remove is visible. You could then just take a decent sized drift and tap it loose from the other side. Sometimes the CV axles resist easy removal.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Anyone have tips or any info on this? Watched the Russian guys on youtube but they're doing it on an ST which I think is a manual. So not sure if its all the same procedures and whatnot. Also read something about the axle being possibly damaged if its flexed beyond 18 degrees. Hopefully it didnt go beyond that when I picked it up out of the box to inspect it.... whoops. Looked like I need to drop the transmission fluid during this procedure. So I imagine its a good time to change the fluid out and any associated filters if any. Is there a preferred fluid to put into this car? OR since I haven't had any DCT issues should I just pull the axle out, let whatever is gonna leak do its thing and then just top it back off? I know new fluids can sometimes cause issue.
Wouldn't worry about the 18-degree thing. That's just to keep the balls from coming out the outer cages. Use the standard Ford oil that your manual calls out. Best to use factory stuff....and I would change the oil out, since you are going to lose some oil, just for good measure.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
And definitely consider replacing the output shaft seals as part of the job! The seals are cheap. But they are the primary reason that the expensive synthetic gear oil stays in the case.

OP
F
City
North Pole
State
AK
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #6
still been putting this job off. I was thinking about ordering some Amsoil DCT fluid. Anybody know the output seal part number by chance?

OP
F
City
North Pole
State
AK
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
considering just letting the dealership or a shop deal with it. I have the axle but thats all.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Any real auto parts store can cross reference a Motorcraft part number BRS174. This is said to fit the DPS6 transmission. 16036369_0.jpg