Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

P01450 fuel pressure sensor tank side

City
Winnie
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 fiesta 1.6L SE
Having issues after filling up gas tank, engine doesn't want to start but will crank.
Whenever engine tries to turn on while cranking- it stalls out unless I push gas petal down.
It seems after filling up, the correct adjustment of pressure isn't happening, resulting in stalling.
Again, once I push the gas petal it will start after a few attempts.
What route should I be going with this issue

1.6L SE 2017 model

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Sounds like a flooding problem...

May be an EVAP issue - check that valve located by throttle body, make sure its connector is seated. It will "click-click-click" whine while the engine warms up to pull fumes and vapors from the tank.

Also check fuses too...

Not sure if your Fiesta will have a RESET switch for the Fuel pump but it seems the pump works, just the EVAP Purge line is acting like it's plugged.

IF you've overfilled the tank, the hose can get plugged, stalling out the motor.

May need to replace the EVAP filter system if you cant dry it out.

Else you can try to drain fuel from the Tank to lower the "wet fuel" level to allow for some vapors to start purging the filter media in the EVAP canister.

Might have to drive a few hundred miles to allow for the vapors to help purge the canister while driving.

Try to do this close to home and carry a gas can with you with fuel so you can make it home - you have to drive the vehicle to dry out that canister. So that means low-fuel warn light will be lit - this helps the system see an empty tank and do a EVAP system reset once the tank gets refilled past 1/2 way.

A quick check would be to place the vehicle ignition on, don't start the car, wait 20-30 seconds and look for a flashing ENGINE Icon.

IF it doesn't flash, the EVAP System then, is NOT the problem.

But to be sure, once the EVAP reset with low-fuel light and refill tank - is done, do a full reset of Emissions by pulling the NEGATIVE battery cable off for at least 10 minutes to help the system relearn.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Having issues after filling up gas tank, engine doesn't want to start but will crank.
Whenever engine tries to turn on while cranking- it stalls out unless I push gas petal down.
It seems after filling up, the correct adjustment of pressure isn't happening, resulting in stalling.
Again, once I push the gas petal it will start after a few attempts.
What route should I be going with this issue

1.6L SE 2017 model
I have seen this discussed in the ST forum. See https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/evap-purge-valve.26485/#post-440753. One person was just waiting a couple of minutes with the nozzle in the filler and that seemed to equalize the issue for him.

I had a stumble, occasionally. I stopped topping up and it stopped happening. When the pump clicks off that's it for me. Seems have stopped the issue.

OP
F
City
Winnie
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 fiesta 1.6L SE
Thread Starter #4
I have seen this discussed in the ST forum. See https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/evap-purge-valve.26485/#post-440753. One person was just waiting a couple of minutes with the nozzle in the filler and that seemed to equalize the issue for him.

I had a stumble, occasionally. I stopped topping up and it stopped happening. When the pump clicks off that's it for me. Seems have stopped the issue.

Just tried the non top off/ waiting a few minutes before removing nozzle from gas cap----no luck.
I'll be checking my fuses next.
Then off to the next step, evap purge line

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
While you are still checking this thread.

Wanted to pass along a "They said - He Said" moment dealing with EVAP stuff.

The canister is located, in near the bottom well of the Spare tire - if anyone had taken a floor jack to lift up the back of the vehicle, or if you ran over a piece of metal or debris and heard it hit the bottom of your car, the EVAP canister is also under there. It's not guarded - so it can get whacked when you roll over something when you don't not quite have the ground clearance, it can crack that unit.

The other problem lies in fuel vapor pressure and when you have a fuel that is getting too close to warm - boiling temperatures - Gas has a volatility as well as a low boiling point - can cause stalling from the tank pressure building faster than it can safely vent.

Ran into those problems on other vehicles I've owned and warranty doesn't cover due to road hazards or poor fuel grades found at some cheap unbranded gas stations.

Ford's Evap System: Operation & Testing | MOTOR
https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/fords-evap-system-operation-testing/

But there is an article dealing with Fiestas and their Gas tanks and fuel pressure issues - it's at the bottom of the article, but the reason I even mention this is because of the FUEL PRESSURE Valve that is mentioned, is the SAME as those mentioned in the earlier articles and is even in my vehicle - a 2018 Fiesta SE 1.6L NA.

1625606591189.png
Yours may be similar...
IF the Valve seems ok, you'll have to check the line to the back and see if it get's kinked or crushed, and or cut - losing ability to maintain vacuum pressure to even provide the ability to perform on-board EVAP testing.

Adding more....

Wanted to show you ANOTHER valve that also pulls from that Gas tank - it actually is used by the ECM during Warm up.

1625619533405.png
This valve head to the Manifold, but uses a special type of twist on connector.

It's red in color.
1625623670792.png
IF that hose that runs to the Manifold is off, your Idle will be VERY rough even while warmed up.

That control valve is a lot like a "choke" on carbureted systems. It uses a pinhole valve diaphragm that uses a metered pulse length of time from the ECM to control the Idle Mixture while the engine starts and stabilizes - this valve "clicks" at a given rate until the engine can run lean enough without it and then operates in unison with the EVAP system as a bypass while the EVAP purge works, then closes off, it can also be used in high vacuum moments (shifts and similar actions) during deceleration to help with pressures and mixtures.

The only reason I'm mentioning it, is if you have a vacuum leak, this may be the area that causes the condition.,

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Just checked my fuses, they look good.
Next piece I'm gonna check is the purge solenoid- from what I'm learning here is that it could be stuck open- flooding me out untill I burn all that excessive fuel out
OR you have a Canister that somehow got too wet from fuel and is unable to give the system "metered" levels to runs it's self -diagnostic...The Filter is too wet from the fuel to allow air thru

Apparently they are aware of this - at least from earlier models...
1625624665383.png

Another approach to this is thru this article
P144a - Maintenance/Repairs - Car Talk Community
https://community.cartalk.com/t/p144a/79485/4

May mean some dissassembly of the EVAP system to pour out the old fule plugging up the media filter so it can pull air and vapors thru again.

OP
F
City
Winnie
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 fiesta 1.6L SE
Thread Starter #7
Do you think I could use hose clamps on the EVAP purge solenoid instead of the shrink wrap?

Answering my own question here,
If I were to use clamps I do believe the plastic would snap or crack due to the pressure of the clamp