Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Manual Transmission?/Clutch? Problem

City
South Bend
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Fiesta
...2014 ford fiesta “manual transmission”...will not shift i.e. lever will not move into 1st from neutral or out of 1st to 2nd or out of reverse (usually from a stop)...even if you have you have held the clutch pedal down during the stop (if it is in 1st it does not bog the engine i.e. with the pedal down) or will not shift (usually from a stop) into 1st from neutral or out of 1st to 2nd or out of reverse when the clutch pedal is pushed down to shift...shifts normally if ignition is turned off briefly and then turned back on...does not seem to be related to hydraulic issues...

...Ford tech said “could not reproduce owner complaint” and would not allow me to demonstrate (Covid etc.)...stated could only be hydraulic related...replace master/slave @ $2k...occurs intermittently...worse in cold weather...pedal cannot be pumped up...only responds with ignition turned off/on...they say the clutch has no electronic connection...does the trans have any electronic controls...or...they threw up their hands and didn’t charge me for the “diagnosis”...surprise...

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Throwout bearing failure? Maybe some air in the line? I have not seen this one on a Fiesta. How does the fluid level look. When you push in the clutch pedal, is there any air bubbles in the reservoir?
Did the issue just suddenly appear or was it a slowly developing that you noticed occuring once or twice a week? I'm trying to get an idea of how it developed.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Hmmm...2014....Hill Assist issues?

Why Hill Assist?

Well, unless there is chewing gum on the backside of the clutch pedal - the MAIN reservoir handles both the Brakes and Clutch - if they put in DOT3 when it should be DOT5 fluid to "top it off" I could see this "binding issue" simple enough...Hill Assist uses the Brakes to help "hold" the vehicle that may cause the bind because of the poor viscosity problems that occur when you mix Brake Fluids of different DOT numbers. It can affect the Clutch slave cylinder, and the one under the Dash because it's BEFORE Hill Assist, but just AFTER the reservoir in level...(think the Gravity of the Situation)
So...​
  • This package is sold by weight, not by volume...Some Settling of Contents may have occurred during Shipping And Handling
It can be that IF the top off of wrong fluid did occur, this can cause the shifting of fluid within the chambers - the subsequent swelling of the seals and the binding of the clutch mater and Slave cylinder seals to prevent shifting...​
...But it's the Turn Off The Key and Back On Again - that makes me wonder if this is more of a logic condition - wiring issue.

Now the other options would be to take off the main front panel cover on the Transmission shifter housing and look for debris and dead road kills that got left behind, in-behind, the main protective panel for the Shifter assembly.

Another problem could be if you gently pry up and off the main climate housing cover to obtain access to the shifter assembly in the interior, there may be a Shifter problem underneath the vinyl black cover sleeve that may reveal a broken part or where the binding may have occurred.

Just some hints from Handy Andy...

Not Responsible for Articles left in Shoes once returned to the Counter after Bowling.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
There! That's one that i didn't think of. That might not even set off the warning light.

OP
Elwood P. Dowd
City
South Bend
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Fiesta
Thread Starter #5
...thanks for the input...my problem with hydraulic (btw...fluid topped, no bubbles, discoloration, not changed or added to during my tenure) or linkage, is the random intermittent nature of the failure...sometimes days apart...sometimes at every stop/shift...sometimes every other...etc...etc...etc...and the ignition on/off (which should throw a code...right?)...it did get worse over a couple of years...which points again to mechanical/hydraulic...I’m going to start tearing into it or farm-it out (it’s cold out there)...if anyone thinks of something, let me know...this is beyond my tiny brain...

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Hmmm, well has the system been bled?

The "freezing" can be from many things, dirt, contaminates or symptoms of something lodged in the lines - Bleeding out the system may or may not help in dislodging the obstruction.

I was also thinking too, is your clutch pedal return spring - behaving ok? I mean it returns to up position (right?) - so it's supposed to "pull" the rod off the bottom of the cylinder and pull that fluid it pushed into the other cylinder back into itself - any lost fluid or heated up expanded rate fluid - simply "burbles up" to the reservoir tank as well as any excess.

There are two lines to one of the cylinders as a means to burp the system and allow for this exchange of fluid to occur.

The clutch isn't a perfect sealed system, it needs fluid and exchanges it with the mater cylinder for the brakes.

So my thoughts on this is to "dislodge" may require a trip to the shop for them to pull the lines and blow them clear then bleed the system to restore the clutch.

Its' the "key off" to Key on - and how that seems to clear the condition - is what has me stumped.

Here's is another scenario, say you are applying the Brakes, the Master cylinder is pressurizing the Brake side of the system - which if you work with me here, means that as you apply the brakes, your stop the reservoir from acting idly by as a "lake" keeping fluid in the system - the vanes and pistons that supply fluid to the brakes from the Master cylinder are now closed off - no fluid can enter into the system.

IF you have problems with the Power Assist brakes or in that area, the "restarting" of the vehicle can affect the Vacuum chambers ability to reset and release the pressurized fluid back into the master cylinder. IF the Brake pedal does not return full up, there may be a binding issue in the master cylinder and hence the "freezing" it's not from dirt, it's from "starvation" of the system to free up fluid for the other cylinder system, your clutch - to work with. Fluid simply cannot be released in enough volume to restore clutch operation because of what I mentioned earlier - the Hill Assist. So - I wonder if a diagnostic may be needed to follow the fluids in the system to determine the true fault.

1612231584307.png

To help you, you will need to look for and possibly observe as you dive your head under the dash - locate the Brake Pedal, there are two switches on a lever towards the front Knee pad just below the steering wheel.

IF those two switches are NOT working right, I can see why you have this issue and then the switches themselves may need some simple adjustment to realign their aspect and let the brake system work separately from the Clutch - for one of the switches handles the Brake Light (rear brake light) the other is a "condition" light that also works but handles Hill Assist and the ability to even "start" the vehicle.

One last aspect to add to this, deals with a "Hydrostatic lock" condition. It's where a sealed system can't operate because both side of a moving piston contain the same pressure - under pressure - causing the fluid to stay static or "locked"..

To further Read...
Hydrolock - Wikipedia

The Clutch in order to work with the Brake Reservoir - has to be able to remove fluid from that reservoir and put it back again.

1612317602375.png

IF Hill Assist or another condition like vacuum seal of the Power Assist assembly of the Brakes, prevents the Clutch from releasing fluid back into the reservoir- the pedal becomes stiff and "stays" where you put it, if you put too much pressure on it, it will leak and blow a seal just to relieve pressure.

It can also be "reciprocal" as in the reverse can also be true, you can generate an air leak when the system needs to have pressure applied in a given direction in a sealed system - the pressure itself becomes the static event, because an air leak allowed the other side of the system to relieve pressure and so the means to return the pressure to make it equalized, is now gone, the piston remains stuck in that static position until the pressure on the side of the NON-Air leak can be released and the fluid in that side be allowed to return to normal balance.

As you can see, each Scenario discussed, from wrong DOT-type fluid onto the Debris in the Shifter Assembly at the Transmission housing, onto the Shift lever assembly in the Dash, onto Electrical failure to track the Hydraulics of the system properly generating lock conditions onto air leaking into the system preventing the fluid from finding equilibrium

Each one is more sinister than the previous, as well as more involved in tasking and time-consuming in labor $$$...

There are several avenues of thought we could take this, but you own the car and have the best idea as to what's been done to it - so in working thru your scenario of Clutch acting up - the typical Service station will be at odds wondering what could cause the condition.

I would be curious to know, that if you turn-off Traction control - as safe as you can be, conditions override this choice - but run your vehicle normally thru it's paces with Trac OFF - and see if the condition keeps re-occurring.

IF it doesn't - or you can't seem to recreate the problem - you have a potential air leak in your system or your Brake Booster side of your Master Cylinder Brake system - needs to be checked. You changed the conditions of the systems operation - less usage of a system in this system - if this clears up that problem, your problem was within that sub-system.

Last edited:
OP
Elwood P. Dowd
City
South Bend
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Fiesta
Thread Starter #7
...just checked in...you have given me many good suggestions that I will pursue...however at this point I cannot reproduce the problem...this after almost two weeks of it occurring at almost every stop...which could validate the blockage idea...i.e. something working it’s way through the system...or the air leak in your final paragraph...one thing I am going to check is traction control to see if it was inadvertently turned off...not sure where the switch may be...have to pull out the manual...in the mean time I need to reread your suggestions...there is a lot of information to unpack...thanks for your input... I’ll get back with any progress...,

sawyer

City
Los Angeles
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta
...just checked in...you have given me many good suggestions that I will pursue...however at this point I cannot reproduce the problem...this after almost two weeks of it occurring at almost every stop...which could validate the blockage idea...i.e. something working it’s way through the system...or the air leak in your final paragraph...one thing I am going to check is traction control to see if it was inadvertently turned off...not sure where the switch may be...have to pull out the manual...in the mean time I need to reread your suggestions...there is a lot of information to unpack...thanks for your input... I’ll get back with any progress...,
I am having the exact same problem. Any resolution to this?

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
I am having the exact same problem. Any resolution to this?
First, welcome new member!

Has the brake/clutch fluid ever been flushed and replaced? If you don't know, then probably never. If you're lucky, it's just some crud that formed in there over 7 years of use, and some clean fluid will do the trick.
Do the cheap and easy stuff first. If it isn't just cruddy fluid, it gets more complicated. As Handy Andy explained, this can get costly.
The Fiesta is a great little car, though. People put a lot of miles on them, and they keep going.

sawyer

City
Los Angeles
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta
First, welcome new member!

Has the brake/clutch fluid ever been flushed and replaced? If you don't know, then probably never. If you're lucky, it's just some crud that formed in there over 7 years of use, and some clean fluid will do the trick.
Do the cheap and easy stuff first. If it isn't just cruddy fluid, it gets more complicated. As Handy Andy explained, this can get costly.
The Fiesta is a great little car, though. People put a lot of miles on them, and they keep going.
Thanks. I will try this first.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
You might want to prepare yourself.

You'll need several things including FRESH brake fluid - mine uses DOT4

While I was trying to investigate, I took some pics of my Fiesta - SE 2018 ...engine compartment.

Found out some stuff that can make you wonder...but then maybe they can help you piece together a plan...

Ok, some orientation...
1622501133829.png

See that Clutch Piston Bleeder Screw Arrow?
Peer down there, you'll see something like this...

1622503699269.png
1622501953764.png
So you'll need to figure out what you have to take off parts and remove the battery and it's tray, push aside the ECM and remove the Air Box, it's hose - so you can have room to bleed down that clutch.

But there is a hose that offshoots from the MASTER Brake Cylinder, it's nylon and routes to the firewall...
1622502340829.png

So be ready...

Last edited:

sawyer

City
Los Angeles
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta
You might want to prepare yourself.

You'll need several things including FRESH brake fluid - mine uses DOT4

While I was trying to investigate, I took some pics of my Fiesta - SE 2018 ...engine compartment.

Found out some stuff that can make you wonder...but then maybe they can help you piece together a plan...

Ok, some orientation...

See that Clutch Piston Bleeder Screw Arrow?
Peer down there, you'll see something like this...

So you'll need to figure out what you have to take off parts and remove the battery and it's tray, push aside the ECM and remove the Air Box, it's hose - so you can have room to bleed down that clutch.

But there is a hose that offshoots from the MASTER Brake Cylinder, it's nylon and routes to the firewall...
View attachment 5327

So be ready...
Thank you for the detail. I am preparing to dive in.

City
Glendale
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Fiesta SE Sedan (5Spd)
Excellent breakdown and thorough breakdown. Wishing I had found this two months ago when my clutch went out and we tried just flushing the system ourselves. But wound up having to have the master cylinder and clutch replaced ($1400). I never flushed the brakes/clutch fluid in the nearly eight years I have had it 🤦‍♂️, it had sat for 5.5 years of that with infrequent usage (only about one fill up a month) up until recently as I had a work vehicle I was driving daily.

I’m still having some brake issues afterward, where the brakes aren’t releasing unless I double pump the brakes or shift in the reverse to “break loose“ the system. Definitely a problem when I am sitting on an incline up or down, even just stopping at a light, which is why I’m highly suspecting the Hill Start Assist system, but haven’t found much written up on repairing it. This issue started happening just before the clutch issue (it literally failed on me and I limped it home) and we have since replaced the suspected culprit driver side caliper that was damaged (smoked it) from driving with it locked up, and replaced both rear drum brakes completely.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Hey! While you're here...

I started to write up a separate word or two about others that may have parking brake problems but I'll keep it at the bottom of this post so others can at least see it.

To help with the "hill assist", turn off traction control - it may have triggered the hill assist - but by having wheel spin - even simple spin from takeoff at a light that turns green and your tires slip on the walk markings - mine gets triggered for it. Happens the most of Right turns since they're sharper and when the spin occurs - is where you're car is trying to change directions from one vector to another vector direction - that can make the wheel hop and spin and set the condition.

Not to sound dumb, but I also have triggered my rear wiper arm on causing a condition where it thinks it's raining and makes the skid controls more sensitive. - seem that will also make your headlights come on in the Daytime if you've set your headlights to auto

That's why I'd love to make the Traction control an OFF condition and you turn it on as needed - not the other way around - those right turns to avoid lane traffic and stay centered - the handling is not the problem - the sensors to prevent skids - is.

---You can stop here...

How's the Parking Brake - that has a "bellows" on it from the front of the rear wheel you can see it - and the cable pops out into the Drum Brake assembly.

There is the "arm" that it pulls and pivots against to multiply the force used to pull the brake shoe (separates them) so it applies that force to the drum.

If your brakes are "sticky" might want to take a moment or two and look to "pry" gently the shoes off their rests on the outer side of that drum. and see if their pivot points are seized to the holsters (by spring tension these holsters simply seat the shoe to keep them evenly spaced in the drum, but if they shift and cant return that seizing can easily drag brakes and keep them applied until they're smoked.

The Bellows simply protects the sleeve and the cable but in damp humid or otherwise constantly soggy conditions - the brakes and that cable never truly dry out increasing the chances of getting dirt in and causing drag on the cable which may not fully release the brake shoe from the side of the drum.

This can also be cause by worn hub bearings - a lot of miles can make the hub "sag" so the shoes will make contact and add their "grip" from the heat of the last thing you did, which was stop the car - lets the heat soak into the drum and if moisture is present - like a grassy knoll to park it while you drive another - will take that moisture and "stick it" to the brakes.

Wife's Nissan - had to "burnish" the brakes so she could drive the car after the latest "Pandemic lockdown" she let her car sit and it rusted the rotors and drums pretty bad - had to drive the car out and find a big parking lot where I could drive forward and back several times to re-round and grind out the rust off the brakes so she could go back to work.

City
Glendale
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
Hey! While you're here...

I started to write up a separate word or two about others that may have parking brake problems but I'll keep it at the bottom of this post so others can at least see it.

To help with the "hill assist", turn off traction control - it may have triggered the hill assist - but by having wheel spin - even simple spin from takeoff at a light that turns green and your tires slip on the walk markings - mine gets triggered for it. Happens the most of Right turns since they're sharper and when the spin occurs - is where you're car is trying to change directions from one vector to another vector direction - that can make the wheel hop and spin and set the condition.

How's the Parking Brake - that has a "bellows" on it from the front of the rear wheel you can see it - and the cable pops out into the Drum Brake assembly.

There is the "arm" that it pulls and pivots against to multiply the force used to pull the brake shoe (separates them) so it applies that force to the drum.

If your brakes are "sticky" might want to take a moment or two and look to "pry" gently the shoes off their rests on the outer side of that drum. and see if their pivot points are seized to the holsters (by spring tension these holsters simply seat the shoe to keep them evenly spaced in the drum, but if they shift and cant return that seizing can easily drag brakes and keep them applied until they're smoked.

Thanks for the ideas Handy Andy!
My 2013 manual trans doesn’t have an On/Off for Traction control 😂, or it’s labeled as something else that I’ve never tried

Parking Brake adjustment is on my list to work on, should’ve done so when we had all the brakes off and replaced.
We replaced the whole drum kit on both back wheels as they were shot. That solved a lot of the issue, it’s less frequent now, but it’s still sticking off and on, or on inclines.

City
Glendale
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thanks for the ideas Handy Andy!
My 2013 manual trans doesn’t have an On/Off for Traction control 😂, or it’s labeled as something else that I’ve never tried

Parking Brake adjustment is on my list to work on, should’ve done so when we had all the brakes off and replaced.
We replaced the whole drum kit on both back wheels as they were shot. That solved a lot of the issue, it’s less frequent now, but it’s still sticking off and on, or on inclines.
E57F67DD-85A6-48D6-98F9-BB0030D38D0E.jpeg 👀 Okay, so maybe I do have it 😂 I’ll have to roll through my system, but pretty sure I don’t have the “Information Display” it is meaning in this book. Haha

I feel dumb 😂 TCS was On, it is now Off. We will see haha 7F8F9AF3-4A3D-4CC8-8E91-456AE143F18E.jpeg

Last edited:

Rico

City
Surry
State
NH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 ford fiesta
...2014 ford fiesta “manual transmission”...will not shift i.e. lever will not move into 1st from neutral or out of 1st to 2nd or out of reverse (usually from a stop)...even if you have you have held the clutch pedal down during the stop (if it is in 1st it does not bog the engine i.e. with the pedal down) or will not shift (usually from a stop) into 1st from neutral or out of 1st to 2nd or out of reverse when the clutch pedal is pushed down to shift...shifts normally if ignition is turned off briefly and then turned back on...does not seem to be related to hydraulic issues...

...Ford tech said “could not reproduce owner complaint” and would not allow me to demonstrate (Covid etc.)...stated could only be hydraulic related...replace master/slave @ $2k...occurs intermittently...worse in cold weather...pedal cannot be pumped up...only responds with ignition turned off/on...they say the clutch has no electronic connection...does the trans have any electronic controls...or...they threw up their hands and didn’t charge me for the “diagnosis”...surprise...

Rico

City
Surry
State
NH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 ford fiesta
That’s what is happening with my 2014, what did you finally do?

City
Glendale
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
Excellent breakdown and thorough breakdown. Wishing I had found this two months ago when my clutch went out and we tried just flushing the system ourselves. But wound up having to have the master cylinder and clutch replaced ($1400). I never flushed the brakes/clutch fluid in the nearly eight years I have had it 🤦‍♂️, it had sat for 5.5 years of that with infrequent usage (only about one fill up a month) up until recently as I had a work vehicle I was driving daily.

I’m still having some brake issues afterward, where the brakes aren’t releasing unless I double pump the brakes or shift in the reverse to “break loose“ the system. Definitely a problem when I am sitting on an incline up or down, even just stopping at a light, which is why I’m highly suspecting the Hill Start Assist system, but haven’t found much written up on repairing it. This issue started happening just before the clutch issue (it literally failed on me and I limped it home) and we have since replaced the suspected culprit driver side caliper that was damaged (smoked it) from driving with it locked up, and replaced both rear drum brakes completely.
map now that I’m 10ish months removed from it, the brakes issue is still happening, BUT only after the car has been sitting a while, OR mostly when I have to stop at an incline (nose of car going up hill, haven’t had much issue going down hill) when the brakes will lock up and I have to power through them until I get to a level place where I can pump the brakes to clear it up and release them.

It isn’t worth the money to swap rotors and pads onto it until it’s fixed finally.

But I think we’ve found the culprit- it is the “Hill Start Assist” system. It’s apparently been an issue, well documented but not worth a full recall for them. It’s a unit that WILL FAIL eventually, maybe a few weeks after rolling off the lot, 6 months down the road, or 10 years, but it will fail.

this modular unit in the brakes is what holds the hydraulic pressure for 2-3 seconds after release on inclines.

solutions: replace unit and hope it works, or rebuild it with aftermarket parts for more durability.
I have it ordered, along with a rebuild so we can beef it up.

https://www.ecutesting.com/common-faults/ford/brakes-locking-fiesta-b-max-and-transit/

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
While your awaiting the decision to go forward, take a moment and read this and decide and whether you're Auto or Manual...

Apply your brake pedal to hold the vehicle - leave engine running - not firmly - just hold the vehicle

Put the car in Neutral on a flat parking lot - open area.
(LEGACY _ Manual : Keep in NEUTRAL - with Brake Pedal pressed)

Check parking brake lever, just lift - one click at a time, count the number of clicks - until you feel resistance.

Place vehicle in D (safer) or R - not Park - we are trying to find a brake drag condition.

(LEGACY: If Manual - use 1st Grear - lowest creep but highest torque)

Keep your hands on the wheel - prefer you stopped with wheel straight on...

Gently easily lift your foot off the (Brake) pedal (Release clutch to engage lightly) - does the car move forward?

IF it does, cautiously note the "drag feel" the steering wheel places in your hands.
(If you can not feel any drift one way or another - just reset and go one click more on the parking brake handle and repeat)

You can do these steps repeatedly until you get a feel or notion about the parking brake aspect of how the rear brakes grab and as you learn to feel this grabbing action the gentle tug, lean or pull in the steering wheel tells you which side of the rear brakes are grabbing first - this helps you find a course of action to take to balance out the uneven braking.
  • I can't stress enough the importance of knowing this condition - for in the event you are in severe winter icy weather, the vehicle will attempt to stop and ABS will kick in - but the ABS becomes less EFFECTIVE if the brake to drum clearances are too tight.one wheel simply drags - that might be the direction of slide your vehicle will take in the event of the skid were to occur.
  • The Brake Fluid is DOT5 / DOT4 - not DOT3 - so there is a viscosity "latency" to applying brakes using ABS systems with solenoids used to apply small amounts of fluid into the line to increase the pressure and as they "ring" the solenoids release and engage this small reservoir of brake fluid they have - little good does it do anything if the line to the drum can't release pressure back to the solenoids to regain some rotational traction and torque.
  • If you can't seem to generate any sort of drift or pull in the wheel, you can then park the vehicle - chock the front wheels and use a simple 2-tom floor jack and lift rear wheels in the center of the rear "axle" crossmember brace to lift it up evenly in balance - then simply spin the rear wheels to determine if one even drags (spins less) and even check for mild noises not present or washed out in the road noise while traveling on roads - bearing roll, runout (crooked or bent action - rim or otherwise) shoe scrape even the tink tink of debris caught in the drum.
  • Another aspect is removing the rear wheels and check to see if the rear drums can be pulled off easily without too much effort.
    • IF the drums are "frozen" to the hub, might want to investigate that, for if one hub or both hubs, are seated, rusted - onto the drum - then the issue of runout becomes more of a potential rollout where the hub to drum seat may not be exactly centered - this causes the wheel to "lob' on the drum. It is the shift from wheel to drum to hub offset unbalance - causing uneven tire wear, rough handling and eventual bearing failure caused by this offset.
    • IF you have the ability to remove the drum, a simple hammer along the front of the hub to drum to "ring" the parts loose can help - else it is better to remove the drum by hand - note there is a 5mm threaded hole to install a bolt to help pull the drum off. But if you have to use this method, it is a good idea to be prepared - ready to find yourself in a repair than a simple inspection.
    • It is also a good idea to loosen and remove the drum to inspect the inner surfaces for dirt grooving and debris, especially if you hear noises from shoe knock or that tink-tink noise of something rattling around in there.
      • In the examination - look to see if the shoe to drum surfaces is free of debris and grooves - using simple vinyl or nitrile gloves, feel the drums inside surface for groves especially along where the inside of the drum both at the drum to hub and drum to outer rim edges to see if the shoes are wearing a groove into the drum - these are potential pinch points for binding, wearing and failures in the near future

But to get back on track - You might feel a tug in one direction or another - even hear groaning - it's from the "drag" the rear brakes are doing to the front wheels.

IF you feel the car - thru the steering wheel - a desire or tendency to drag in one direction - that pull signals you have an uneven brake cable parking brake issue - either caused by uneven wear, improper length of "throw" or the parking brake cable is binding. The direction the wheel wants to take is the struggle on the SIDE of the car the sticking brake or drum is on - so if it pulls to the left, suspect the left side brakes. Same applies to the RIGHT side if the steering wheel wants to pull to the RIGHT.

Also - count the number of clicks it takes to apply the parking brake. Less than 3? You have to loosen the parking brake tensioner - it's under the handle and the trim that the brake handle uses to keep dirt out - has a cutout - use a deep well 8mm Socket (1/4 thin-wall works) and just loosen the tension the bolt under that cutout cover - it has to increase the slack in the cable - the bolt will allow you to adjust the number of clicks the handle has to lift up from to engage the parking brake.
  • Myself I use 5-7 clicks - in the first year I've owned it the vehicle tended to "stop" on longer duration slowing down the drive and forcing the driver to find gears to pull out of the condition - only to have to scramble to find methods and remember to use the TRAC OFF ability and let the ABS do its job, but not let TRAC Control take the wheel away from the driver. (It's a Manual!)
  • I also took to the task of do the above test and removing the drum of the side affected and back off the tensioner for that drums' shoes so I can restore equal braking "feel"
The Hill assist - uses these same solenoids for the ABS system - to apply the fluid to the rear brakes - the system does this PAST the proportioning valve that would apply pressure to the brakes evenly to prevent uneven braking and skids. As you use the "hill assist" and have contaminates in the brake lines - the solenoids will become less effective, and debris will flood the lines - forcing you to purge them in a master brake fluid change and bleed down.

The issue around the parking brake and the slack adjustment - applies for the lifetime of the rear brakes. The Adjuster built into the rear drums only adjusts the ASPECT of the two brake shoes distance from each other - as natural wear occurs - the shoes have more clearance between them and the drum - so the THROW the piston has - increases - but the ADJUSTER is designed to keep the shoes close enough in clearance and centered equally (supposed to) - to keep the Piston's throw in balanced amounts (so the pedal doesn't dive to the floor when you apply the brakes - the piston isn't forced to refill each time with a lot of fluid displacement.)

This does not apply to the parking brake cable - it uses a lever to pry the shoes towards the drum - a mechanical connection and USES the aspect that the adjuster the drum has. Meaning if the parking brake is set close tolerance - the shoes will also stay in this close tolerance throughout the course of their life. The Adjuster simply keeps the shoes "close enough to the drum" - does this as an equal measure of distance in the piston the shoes rest against. The Adjuster will not go as far "back" or return to its stop as the parking brake cable will allow it.​
Again, if the cable is too short or too tight in tolerance - the adjuster will set to this point - it doesn't know the difference. As, the Emergency Brake action is similar in function - but uses a different method to apply the force. The effort is not reciprocal - the adjuster works all the time - so the parking brake lever also gets "adjusted" in aspect - but not in tension - the tension will stay the same throughout the lifetime until the brakes are worn down to less and less material but the parking brake if not adjusted correctly - it will affect this clearance for a long time - most of the brake pads service life.​

So, if the parking brake is set too close - the adjuster may not work properly, as well as the ABS system will be less effective.

Why Auto or Manual - as a manual driver myself - I find using the parking brake as a necessity and as a means to double down the effectiveness of keeping the vehicle under control - if it is not right - the driver will have issues in the ability to keep their vehicle under control.

• In Automatics - the parking PAWL (transmission) is the default go-to to hold the vehicle in place, but in the event of uneven braking - the issue of a parking brake lever too tightly adjusted might leave you in the ditch when it comes to applying steering and ABS control in icy conditions - the sensors only work with what the wheels are sending them - the dragging on one wheel aggravates the condition to a point where you get "locked down" because the brake drum won't turn because the d*mn shoe is stuck to it from a poorly adjusted parking brake system - leaving you with a potential big bill you could have avoided.
Had to stop for the night to continue this today:

I'm not beating up the maker of the car that sponsors this forum, I'm beating up EVERY car maker evenly - when you drive ANY Brand of vehicle - if the Emergency Brake is adjusted too close (referring to slack adjuster for the mechanical handle side) at the start of its life (New car) then the issue or wear, braking and other issues like the emissions and fuel economy even safety - becomes paramount

Contaminated lines may be an excuse, but until you can resolve that issue, - review your cars; redundant backup systems like the Emergency brake - on a regular basis. For if it doesn't operate properly - then the system can become compromised, and you're left with a mess you don't want.

Last edited: