Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

looking for advice

davekb

City
East Kilbride
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
fiesta zetec
my daughter recently purchased a 2018 zetec eco boost fiesta, it constantly chimes (very quickly) low fuel, we had to film dash display to see what message said, no where near low on fuel when it chimes, tonight display said zero fuel but dial showed quarter full (which is what it should be) any ideas to cause and fix would be appreciated

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I don't believe that North America has an audible low fuel warning chime. I can't recall ever hearing one. I do see an amber light and a message of "50 miles to empty".
This issue seems to be an electrical fault within the area of the fuel level monitoring of the fuel pump assembly.
Being a 2018 Fiesta, i would visit a Ford dealership service department and have them review the warranty service history of your Fiesta. Perhaps it has had the issue prior to your purchase.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Hmm, 2018?

Well, that has "sync"

Were you aware that you may have OTHER MESSAGES? Besides the one you see on the front console display.

1626831481269.png

Look in your Manual, start at about Page 87, then while you sit in the car, turn the key to ON, Don't Start it just yet.

Leave the key in the ON position - let the system run a self check - if things are bad, you hear the chimes BEFORE you go anywhere.

Your Dashboard "pods" display - DASHBOARD...Indication Lights - Instrument Cluster...

1626832219744.png
(To Help - I had my Sealt Belt on - so you do not see that light on on the Dashboard)

See the Circled ones? Those are the ones that once the SELF-TEST is completed, they DO NOT wink out...they stay on!

The other non circled ones - yours may have different symbols or not even there - it depends on the feature level of the vehicle...these will eventually wink out...

Ok, the Blue circled one is if your using a Manual or need Parking Brakes - BRAKE light is if you use the E-Brake...
  • - but at least 3 of those lights stay on,
  • OIL PRESSURE
  • CHECK ENGINE
  • and BATTERY (Electrical Alternator Charging system)
  • BRAKE is if you have The Parking Brake engaged, or you may have the reason for the chimes if this light is on when you DON'T have the Parking Brake Engaged. Check your Handle on the Parking Brake - make sure it's all the way down to the console holster.
The above are the ones that REQUIRE the engine to be running for the status of them to change and go off.

Start the Engine - you may get a DING-Ding from the Seat Belt Chime - different pulse rate then the typical alert chime.

Stay STATIONARY - keep the Brake Pedal Depressed, don't go out of Park of engage in a gear just yet - keep yourself stationary.

Do you still have a Chime (Ding - Ding even after being belted in?)

Check your DASHBOARD pods - any lights? Still lit? Or anything new? Note what they are - you may have a safety issue.

If not - Now, begin to drive - put yourself in a position though, to be able to pull over and stop safely once this DING DING begins - if it occurs when moving there is something else seriously wrong...

The Reasons for the chime may be for other reasons.

Here are a few...
1626835332004.png
1626837135849.png

[wrenchin] read your owners manual [wrenchin]
[ohcrap]
Each of the above will have a different pattern of Chime to signal issues...

The Seatbelt reminder - check the PASSENGER seat if you have your purse, heavy object or a 2-Liter of Diet Soda on that seat - there's enough weight to make the occupied sensor go off and you hear chimes...one particular pattern...

Same goes for SRS - if you are driving - this may chine in a different pattern of chimes - annoying as heck but it happens - have the system checked...

The Low fuel light, will have a particular chime to sound - but also remember that to reset this - your need to FILL UP THE TANK past 3/4's full to reset and clear this annoying alert.

1626837699659.png

• If you have MY KEY enabled - a specific key can be programmed to display Information and Chimes if some conditions is/are, not - met.
You have to OPEN MY KEY in the Console Menu using SYNC menus to obtain and gain access to see these settings.

DOOR AJAR - can become a concern if all the Doors are not fully closed, the Trunk, Hood as well as all the Side Doors - if you open and reclose all the doors and this condition still does not clear, remember that the Door Ajar symbol is alerting you to what it thinks is a dangerous condition

The above are some that will "chime" incessantly until you repair or clear the condition

1626831481269.png 1626831709339.png

Then look at your console - and also look and get familiar with the "OK" home cursor keyboard - press up or down - Why? Look for a little

1626831826690.png
INFORMATION ALERT
Symbol in your Main Console Display
Located in upper Right Corner.
1626836778235.png

Your Console may differ - but will have "OK" button....

1626831709339.png

Find your Manual - you may have some other more immediate information to look for up to and including Seat Belt and or Engine Malfunctions you may have to scroll past the immediate information to get to.

...start on Page 87...

Last edited:
OP
D

davekb

City
East Kilbride
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
fiesta zetec
Thread Starter #4
I don't believe that North America has an audible low fuel warning chime. I can't recall ever hearing one. I do see an amber light and a message of "50 miles to empty".
This issue seems to be an electrical fault within the area of the fuel level monitoring of the fuel pump assembly.
Being a 2018 Fiesta, i would visit a Ford dealership service department and have them review the warranty service history of your Fiesta. Perhaps it has had the issue prior to your purchase.

Thanks for that, might be worth a go