Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

hi to all-INTERMITENT WIPER PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!

City
London
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2007 ford fiesta
HI TO ALL I HAVE A 2007 FORD FIESTA AND AS THE WEATHER HAS TURNED I HAVE NOTICED MY INTERMITTENT WIPER DOES NOT WORK.
DONT KNOW IF THERES A FUSE OR FIX,ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
...(The below is to help guide you...we presume you've checked your fuses and that the wipers do work, only the intermittent function is not doing it's job)......

Do you have the Wiper switch that has the "roller" or a multi-point switch that controls the time between wipes on the switch arm or on the Dash?

If it's on the Arm, you may have a bad switch - not the switch itself but the electronics in it that handle that pause.

That timer may be bad - the intermittent function needs to be able to know which level of time - so it uses a rheostat (potentiometer or variable resistor) in that arm that the "roller" or even the muti-point setting - these work to change your intermittent wipe times.

This communicates back to the wiper motor - which once one wipe is done - the thing is supposed to "park" until the timer tells - bumps it off-park to force the motor to cycle to move the wipers for a small length of time until the pause pulse has elapsed and the motor it left to think it needs to park itself and completes the cycle.

So if the other settings on that arm work, then the issue is with the switch - the rheostat is dirty and you'll need to take apart that switch to get at it - it's possible and it's SMD (meaning the technology is unique but common) and the composite used to make it variable is more than likely destroyed by time and age.

So you'll need a new one.

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Sometimes the operation becomes flaky. Or stops working altogether. Time to replace it.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Sometimes the operation becomes flaky. Or stops working altogether. Time to replace it. Not unlike this glitchy device that i am contending with right now

OP
G
City
London
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2007 ford fiesta
Thread Starter #5
...(The below is to help guide you...we presume you've checked your fuses and that the wipers do work, only the intermittent function is not doing it's job)......

Do you have the Wiper switch that has the "roller" or a multi-point switch that controls the time between wipes on the switch arm or on the Dash?

If it's on the Arm, you may have a bad switch - not the switch itself but the electronics in it that handle that pause.

That timer may be bad - the intermittent function needs to be able to know which level of time - so it uses a rheostat (potentiometer or variable resistor) in that arm that the "roller" or even the muti-point setting - these work to change your intermittent wipe times.

This communicates back to the wiper motor - which once one wipe is done - the thing is supposed to "park" until the timer tells - bumps it off-park to force the motor to cycle to move the wipers for a small length of time until the pause pulse has elapsed and the motor it left to think it needs to park itself and completes the cycle.

So if the other settings on that arm work, then the issue is with the switch - the rheostat is dirty and you'll need to take apart that switch to get at it - it's possible and it's SMD (meaning the technology is unique but common) and the composite used to make it variable is more than likely destroyed by time and age.

So you'll need a new one.

Many thanks
is it easy to change?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Its not too involved. You need a couple screwdrivers or a multi bit set. It is nestled against the turn indicator switch with a couple of screws. The white plastic thing in front of the switches is the airbag clock spring. You don't need to take the steering column apart to take out the wiper control switch, these images are all i have on my phone of that area.
20220623_193700.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
G
City
London
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2007 ford fiesta
Thread Starter #7
many thanks will give it a go and let you know how i get on? ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

OP
G
City
London
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2007 ford fiesta
Thread Starter #8
Its not too involved. You need a couple screwdrivers or a multi bit set. It is nestled against the turn indicator switch with a couple of screws. The white plastic thing in front of the switches is the airbag clock spring. You don't need to take the steering column apart to take out the wiper control switch, these images are all i have on my phone of that area.
View attachment 8597
View attachment 8597
many thanks will give it a go and let you know how i get on? ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I didnt intend to make a specific guide
With that image. I should do a switch pictorial on one of my cars. I don't recall ever seeing a how to of that.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Unless you like reading engineering exploded drawings - it explains it nicely - layer by layer of that "onion".

- nice work!

Have a good day!