Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Help! Timing Belt?

Amanda29

City
Nashville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta SES
Hi all! Amanda here. First time in a forum, so forgive any newbie ignorance!

Hoping to get some insight on an issue that I’ve recently encountered with my 2012 SES (88k mileage). Recently, after a few weeks of not driving the vehicle, I tried to start the car, and noticed a terrible, grating sound, and realized it was not turning over.

Though it didn’t necessarily seem like battery issue, I called AAA and was told by their roadside assistance that it was most definitely not the battery; he thought it sounded more like a timing belt issue.

My understanding is that, replacing this is eventually a part of routine maintenance, however, I get the car serviced at least twice per year and was never informed by the dealership that this was needed or recommended...

For anyone who has had a similar experience, what did it cost to replace the timing belt, including parts and labor? Was it only the timing belt, or should I more than likely expect another part needing replacement?

Alternatively, what else could this be? Is timing belt a common misdiagnosis for other, underlying issues?

Thank you in advance for any guidance, and I appreciate the patience with this car-dummy!

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Hi Amanda. Welcome to the forum. It seems to me that it's a little early for the timing belt (88k) to need service. I also doubt that it would be making any noise, being a belt. My guess is that the starter motor is failing. Have you noticed that the car was cranking slowly or that there was a delay in starter engagement when you pushed the button to crank it?