Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Hello trying to replace both front 2 struts and

City
Rapid City
State
SD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 SE Ford Fiest 4 door Hatchback
wondering most likely and obviously these are the mounting 1657386581448.png g bolt that hold the top of the strut in ? Thanks.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Yes. Those are the strut mount nuts. They are 15mm. If you are not familiar with changing mcpherson struts, i would suggest that you have a shop do that for you.
Without the proper tools and a spring compressor you could severely injure or possibly kill yourself doing that job.

OP
S
City
Rapid City
State
SD
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
I APPRECIATE your candor I think you have me sold on that statement.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
To help...
1657421191189.png

You have to lift the car and those 3 bolts on the PAINTED part of the Chassis side of the mount, use 13nn Anchor nut.

They are a special LONG (height - wise) bolt but if needed you can use KEPP or Serrated nuts if needed, Grade 8 hardened or higher grade.

The strut top mounts look like this...
1657421338780.png Hopefully yours are in better shape than mine

OP
S
City
Rapid City
State
SD
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #6
I was doing pretty heavy extensive research on trying to replace my own struts myself because it is pretty tough to get into a damn repair shop and have them even do the repair job correctly lol but after you told me this I think I may be having 2nd thoughts on because I thought it was a little more simple like you removing 3 to 4 bolts from the bottom thus removing it from the rotor then 3 from the top that I had just shown you but if I could die from this then not my cup of tea lol I will die when I am ready and old enough to lol. So thank you again and I REALLY WANTED TO DO THIS JOB ON MY OWN because now I have to take it into the repair shop and they will spend an eternity on repairing them lol let alone won't even be able to get you in for 3 to 4 weeks lol.

OP
S
City
Rapid City
State
SD
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
Well I truly believe this is my last help me please kind of deal would happen to know how to fix this little issue ?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
If you have some metric 1/2 inch drive sockets and combination wrenches you should be able to do a pair of pre assembled struts. You can get them from websites like Rock auto or cargeeks. They already have the springs and upper bearing and mount installed. So, just unbolt the strut assembly and put the new one in place. No spring compressor required.
The one downside to these are the quality of the struts has not been very good. I think that these are under 200 bucks a pair dropped at your door.

OP
S
City
Rapid City
State
SD
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #9
These ? Also since they are already put together now in my car I can remove them and not have to worry about accidently killing myself from doing so and thank you for that stern warning.

Attachments

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
To remove the "strut assembly" (the whole shock and coil) - you won't get killed if you just undo the 3 TOP bolts (not that bigger center one) and using a pair of long handled socket wrenches (18mm being one "odd size") you can remove the lower two bolts the hold the strut to the steering knuckle.

There are two other things you'll need to remove, the drag link (sway bar link) and the wiring clips that hold the speed and ABS sensors to the strut thru clips.

And the Brake caliper - hung on a hook so it doesn't pull on it's hose - so you can even remove the strut.

But to save the headaches of broken or stripped bolts - use new bolts during the install you can get when you buy the strut package.

OP
S
City
Rapid City
State
SD
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #11
in my 2013 Ford Fiesta SE is the fuel pump located under the back seat ?

OP
S
City
Rapid City
State
SD
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #12
So will the rotor fall down or can I remove the 2 lower bolts without it falling down or is this just for certain types of Ford Fiesta I know if you do not place something solid under the rotor could fall after removing the 2 lower bolts. Thanks.

OP
S
City
Rapid City
State
SD
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #13
So I leave the big middle bolt in the Black 1 like you said obviously so after removing all the bolts that are required to be removed leaving the Black center bolt completely untouched the strut will still come loose and out ?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Don't completely unbolt the strut mount. Thats the last step. 20220712_093903.jpg

You will want to get the anti sway bar link loose first. If it's original equipment, it should have a 15 M nyloc nut. You will also want to have a 6 m allen wrench to hold the shank still or better yet, a mid sized pair of curved jaw vise grip pliars. It would be worth it to wire brush the threads and spray some penetrant on that one. It is often a tough nut to turn off. 20220712_093733.jpg

Then you can take that wire brush to the two pinch bolts for the strut to knuckle connection.
These are not reusable bolts and nuts. The bolt head is 15M and the nut is an 18M.
If im not using an impact wrench, i like to put a 15M wrench on the bolt head and then the 18M socket on the breaker bar for leverage to get the nut loose.

20220712_093536.jpg

The lower strut pinch bolts and nuts are available from a Ford dealer parts department. These are critical bolts, but not really expensive. 20220712_091246.jpg

OP
S
City
Rapid City
State
SD
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #15
Ok most excellent help thank you I have 1 last issue with my car my driver's side mirror stays perfectly still no matter what but my passenger door mirror likes to shake and move when I shut the door but not open it and when I drive over pot holes but not when I am driving on a very smooth surface if I were to completely remove and replace the mirror would this completely solve this moving and shaky mirror or will it still happen if I remove the 2 screws in there get a whole new mirror and screws and tighten them down would this work ? Thank you very much I am out for now unless you would be so kind again as to answering my question if my fuel pump located underneath my back seat ok stay safe and take care.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
in my 2013 Ford Fiesta SE is the fuel pump located under the back seat ?
Yes. Under the round plastic plug on the floor.
And to catch up on your question about placing something under the lower control arm. No need to do that. The travel of that arm is limited.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The door mirror issue is something to tackle in another thread. It might be loose but if it was struck by something it is probably broken. Show us some images in a new thread, so we can keep thing's somewhat organized.