Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Heated windscreens not working

Lee666

City
London
State
Non-US
Country
England
What I Drive
Fiesta 2013 mk7.5
Hi I'm new here
I'd be most grateful if some could advise.
Both my front and back windscreens are not working I've checked all relevant fuses they all all OK someone advised me that the climate control panel could be faulty so I purchased a second hand one from ebay and fitted it and I still have the same problem.
Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Not many people here in the USA have Fiestas with Heated Windscreens.

Did some research on that and it seems that FORD kinda' owned the market due to patent rights on the idea until 2011, so the concept of heated windows is not new (Ford Thunderbird and Mercury Cougar were some that used this) now many others are onto the bandwagon over this.

So if you're having trouble with your system, - has the (or any) window been repaired recently?

How about someone working in the car around the Console and radio?

You checked Fuses, but the wiring and Relays also need to be checked, which wiring is impossible because the wires to that conductive laminate sandwiched inside the glass, is buried into the console.

So if some damage has been done to the window - it can trigger the fuses to blow but if they have not - then the relays involved - since you've changed the console - are suspect - that means you have to more relays in the passenger compartment but they are under the dash. IN the USA they are behind the Glove box ON THE PASSENGER side - (right side) but considering UK - if you're driving on the Right - the LEFT side Glove box, behind it is where this fuse box might be.

Why two?
  • (In reality there are several - just read the threads left behind on other similar electrical topics to explain other issues around the Fiesta's Electrical problems in other parts of this Forum)
Because the Engine compartment uses many fuses and relays for the PCM and TCM modules - but the Body Control Module is in the passenger compartment and has a separate feed to it from the Engine fuse box to handle the current and also provide more access to convenience features like Heated Seats, Windows and lighting effects. There is extra wiring needed that would make the harness from the engine side thru it's firewall into the passenger side - a bit too cumbersome to handle easily to the Body Control Module is located in the passenger part of the car, but it is located differently due to UK/AU and USA/World seating arrangements..

If possible there may be another heavy duty fuse located by the BATTERY under it's Red Cover - and it may be bolted as an auxiliary and if that blew, all power to the climate controls can be affected.

Look up Ford Transit Vans and heated windscreens - it may help you locate and fix this problem.

To add:

The wiring to the windshield heater element - is embedded in the pillar - so if you can remove the pillar trim, you can locate the harness and wire strip and clips that pushes the current thru the layer in the glass, to the other side.

So that means you'll have to take apart the pillars and part of the front console again to check and verify the wires are clipped onto the element strip and the strip itself is not torn.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lee666

City
London
State
Non-US
Country
England
What I Drive
Fiesta 2013 mk7.5
Thread Starter #3
Not many people here in the USA have Fiestas with Heated Windscreens.

Did some research on that and it seems that FORD kinda' owned the market due to patent rights on the idea until 2011, so the concept of heated windows is not new (Ford Thunderbird and Mercury Cougar were some that used this) now many others are onto the bandwagon over this.

So if you're having trouble with your system, - has the (or any) window been repaired recently?

How about someone working in the car around the Console and radio?

You checked Fuses, but the wiring and Relays also need to be checked, which wiring is impossible because the wires to that conductive laminate sandwiched inside the glass, is buried into the console.

So if some damage has been done to the window - it can trigger the fuses to blow but if they have not - then the relays involved - since you've changed the console - are suspect - that means you have to more relays in the passenger compartment but they are under the dash. IN the USA they are behind the Glove box ON THE PASSENGER side - (right side) but considering UK - if you're driving on the Right - the LEFT side Glove box, behind it is where this fuse box might be.

Why two?
  • (In reality there are several - just read the threads left behind on other similar electrical topics to explain other issues around the Fiesta's Electrical problems in other parts of this Forum)
Because the Engine compartment uses many fuses and relays for the PCM and TCM modules - but the Body Control Module is in the passenger compartment and has a separate feed to it from the Engine fuse box to handle the current and also provide more access to convenience features like Heated Seats, Windows and lighting effects. There is extra wiring needed that would make the harness from the engine side thru it's firewall into the passenger side - a bit too cumbersome to handle easily to the Body Control Module is located in the passenger part of the car, but it is located differently due to UK/AU and USA/World seating arrangements..

If possible there may be another heavy duty fuse located by the BATTERY under it's Red Cover - and it may be bolted as an auxiliary and if that blew, all power to the climate controls can be affected.

Look up Ford Transit Vans and heated windscreens - it may help you locate and fix this problem.

To add:

The wiring to the windshield heater element - is embedded in the pillar - so if you can remove the pillar trim, you can locate the harness and wire strip and clips that pushes the current thru the layer in the glass, to the other side.

So that means you'll have to take apart the pillars and part of the front console again to check and verify the wires are clipped onto the element strip and the strip itself is not torn.

OP
L

Lee666

City
London
State
Non-US
Country
England
What I Drive
Fiesta 2013 mk7.5
Thread Starter #4
Hi Andy thank you very much for Yr advice and I will look into it further.(y)

OP
L

Lee666

City
London
State
Non-US
Country
England
What I Drive
Fiesta 2013 mk7.5
Thread Starter #5
Hi
Hope you can advise
I tried to set my alarm off on my ford fiesta titanium x 2013 to see if it works.
My car is push button start (keyless)
I looked up how to test which was to open window enough to get arm in then lock car with fobb the made several loud bleeps and wouldn't lock with fobb.
I then used the key blade hidden in fobb to lock car I then reached in and opened the drivers door from inside and alarm did not sound.
I then closed window opened bonnet or Hood latch and closed door locked car with fobb I then opened said bonnet or Hood manually and car alarm sounded with a very pittyful sounding alarm not good at all.i would have thought that owning a titanium x model fiesta the alarm would be of some better quality.
Please if you have any advice I'd be much appreciative.
Thank you

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Ok, step by step here...

The key fob, when the car thinks it's inside - it won't let anyone lock the fob in the car - it is programmed to think it's by accident that someone left the electronic portion of the fob inside.

So the keyfob has to be some distance - 3 meters away - to ensure that the car can be locked - from the inside - else it acts a lot like Nissans and vehicles with similar Keyless start systems. It annoyingly beeps and the car doesn't lock.

You can lock it from the outside - but it takes the KEY of the key fob - to do this.

You leave the fobb inside, secretly hidden - and you have the (physical) key.

But, if you left the Fob inside - it does know the windows are open versus secured - limit switches does that.

You close all windows, doors trunk and hood, and - just go to the keyhole at the Drivers side handle - lock the car with the physical key - the doors should now be locked and the key fob is safely inside - this also disables the key fob from making it active in case someone "copied" the codes from the Fob before it got locked inside so it protects itself from someone trying to get into it from the outside - like a thief would attempt to break in using a broadcaster device trans ponding with the keyfob code.

No method is truly safe from predators and thieves - but efforts to break in using the electronics which are harder to use as evidence versus a broken window or pried jambs which are physical efforts against them as evidence

Try the above to see if it helps you.

OP
L

Lee666

City
London
State
Non-US
Country
England
What I Drive
Fiesta 2013 mk7.5
Thread Starter #7
thanks Andy I will try this

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The physical key overrides the Electronic portion, but you need the Electronic portion to work the Start function - in a keyless entry system.

So the physical key - in the door lock, will let you lock the vehicle, and enter the vehicle - thru this key. The Fob - once inside this "shell" or the vehicle - would be active if the user only used the Fob part of it. The key cannot start the car, but the key allows entry into the car - the Fob allows entry into the car and lets you start it - so if the Fob is left in the car and you have the key, no one else can get into the car unless they have the key - but even if they did have the key, they could not start the car - they need the fob to do this.