Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Fuel Filter on 2009 Fiesta WS (Duratec 1.6L)

techfixes

City
The Range
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2009 WS Hatchback 1.6L Duratec
OK. I'm really stumped. I've consulted the service manual, google, youtube etc. but can't find the location of the fuel filter on my specific model (Fiesta 2009 WS Hatchback 1.6 i FWD Petrol 1.6L 4cyl 88kW HXJA)

It's not under the back seat and it doesn't appear to be under the car in front of the fuel tank, nor can I spot it obviously in the engine bay. Photo of the new filter is attached, it seems to definitely be the correct part.

Just for context, I ran a can of "decent" fuel system cleaner ($33) through recently before a trip of a few hundred K's. Before the trip my idle was just a little bit rough. However after my return idle is really unstable. The RPMs seem to drop all of a sudden as if the engine is being starved of fuel. I'm thinking that possibly the fuel system cleaner mixed with some gunk in the fuel tank and clogged up my filter.

The car has 133,000 KM on it and is otherwise operating fine. It hesitates sometimes up to about 50KM but is fine at highway speeds.

It's possible the servicing on the car has been neglected a bit prior to my owning it, so quite likely it is still on its original fuel filter.

Attachments

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
In North America the filter/screen is built into the body of the fuel pump. You should be able to get the pump out of the tank through a access panel under the rear seat cushion. At least then you can get a good look at the situation.
In line fuel filters went away when the evaporative emissions regulations tightened up. They don’t want any potential leaks no matter how tiny.

OP
T

techfixes

City
The Range
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
It's possible the fuel filter on my particular WS is a different type but this one in the photo above is listed by major manufacturers as being used on this model / year.

OP
T

techfixes

City
The Range
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Thread Starter #4
In North America the filter/screen is built into the body of the fuel pump. You should be able to get the pump out of the tank through a access panel under the rear seat cushion. At least then you can get a good look at the situation.
In line fuel filters went away when the evaporative emissions regulations tightened up. They don’t want any potential leaks no matter how tiny.
Yeah, it definitely doesn't have anything under the rear seat. I'm leaning towards it being a different type of filter located in the engine bay somewhere.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
In America, we have no familiarity with Fiesta after 1980 or prior to 2011. Good luck.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Ok, in 2008 the Fuel Filter was under the car, behind the Fuel Tank - just in front of the Rear Crossmember.

Where is the Fuel Line in your car? Where is that routed?

Watch here...

1667962186439.png

To continue:​

The latter generations of Fiestas use the "screen in the pickup tube" that blocks most of the debris - I say "Most" loosely because in latter engines (Sigma - current callout of the name) the injectors bodies are different than the older style.

The Duratec motor - great little motor they should have kept using - aside from the overheating conditions it tended to find itself in - otherwise seemed to handle this better (even the 2.0L used in Focus Duratorqu) - at least if water got in the gas from too much Ethanol or the Methanol contaminates, started to make it sputter - they drained the tank and replaced the filter and pretty much fixed the problems.

The switchover then may have occurred (in 2009-2010) and now you have to drain the tank and pull the pump to check the screen.

Look in the tank - if there is a lot of condensates - then this may be the whole problem - might want to use Isopropyl alcohol for a few treatments and see if this will drag out the water. Don't be afraid to use Isopropyl on a regular basis

Last edited: