Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Ford MyKey, Master Keys and Security questions

City
Cole Camp
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta Sedan
Howdy, all!

We bought a 2015 Fiesta Sedan for my daughter for her first car. It unfortunately only came with one key.

At some point in the past, a Master Key had been set up in Ford's MyKey software. The key we have is not the Master Key. This wouldn't be an issue except the key we have is set up with a speed limiter and a maximum radio volume.

I purchased two new keys (the one we have is fairly banged up) and I took the keys and car to the local Ford dealership to have the keys programmed and the MyKey stuff disabled or reset. (They are genuine Ford keys)

The dealership was unable to program the new keys to the car at all... the keyless portion (lock/unlock/trunk/panic buttons) wouldn't work and when they attempted the procedure, the security system would "brick" for 15 minutes and prevent them from doing anything at all. They gave up on the keys and suggested I have a plain key (no keyless buttons) programmed instead. I agreed and they took one from their inventory to cut and program but they couldn't get that key to work, either.

They mentioned that the "PATS" system was interfering with the procedure somehow and blamed the fact that it has a "rebuilt" title. (It had hail damage and was totalled by the insurance company) I doubt the mechanic who replaced/repaired the body panels would mess with the electronics of the car but who knows, I guess.)

I'm not really sure where to go from here... we have three "spare" keys now that will unlock the doors/trunk but won't start the car, which is better than nothing but I'd really like at least two functional keyless entry keys.

Anyone have any ideas about what's going on here? Do I just have an incompetent dealer?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Your repair invoice should have a fairly detailed explanation of what code was displayed when the system refused to accept the "new" keys. The security system will set a code for one or more reasons. Mostly communication failures or unresponsive transponder or failed signals. When they tried to clone the new keys there should be a stated reason WHY the pats didn't accept them. That WHY has a code number. Performing a "hard reset" should clear the previous mykey. Depending upon the build year and model, that process involves disconnecting the positive battery cable and then inserting a currently functional and recognized key into the ignition and turning it to key on engine off position. Then reconnect the battery and alow it to suck on that for about ten minutes. If the system is functional, it should revert to a proscribed factory preset. If the service department didn't mention the specific codes it found, i would be suspicious of the effort. Did the invoice they gave you have a paragraph or two of the actions taken and codes displayed?

OP
T
City
Cole Camp
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta Sedan
Thread Starter #3
... Did the invoice they gave you have a paragraph or two of the actions taken and codes displayed?
They kept me two hours after my appointment time (for a "30 minute appointment") and didn't charge me as a result. So no invoice.

Thanks for the reset procedure... I'll give that a try.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Wow...usually when you have even one My key, that should allow for the "Master" to be programmed in.

The understanding is, the keys that are not programmed, are still "seen" by the system as Administration Keys - a universal code.

So I hope the Dealer did not program all the KEYS as My Key was originally programmed - you need one programmed to be seen as Administration.

All need fresh batteries and all need to be present -

The MY Key - or the original - can be made Administration - by allowing ANOTHER key - being an unprogrammed Key (Read not set as MY key - you'll see them in your Menu display as Administration Keys - those keys becomes your new lease on the vehicle) You have to tell the system the old key is the My Key, then the old key is used to start first, then you turn off, then insert the new "fresh" Admin key to help the system see the new key. The Proceedure for that step is located on Page 58 of the Owners manual.

I looked up the 2015 My Key process for your vehicle - starts on Page 47 in your Owners manual - since you have time now, you may want to spend some time going over what the MY Key and the Administration Keys and see if the Administration Keys can start the car then you can clear all the keys and My Key original too - and start over.

Heres' what I got...
1628128408248.png

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
2nd half - when you go looking for that PATS system, locate Page 58 on your manual
1628129043694.png

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
After the MASTER Relearn procedure from @scotman - you should be able to get at least one of the new keys to be recognized as an Admin key.

Then you can help the system relearn the other keys. The Procedure is above.

Sounds like the Dealer just missed a step - you have time and nothing to lose at this moment - so try the process.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I'm interested in learning exactly what the dealership service department "did" that didn't work.
There is a defined process to remove the established master key- mykey controls.
The security menu is at the drivers fingertips. The system might have some failed component or bad connection at the ground.
The tech should at least be able to get a determination that the pats is functional and enabled or NOT. With two new keys being programed, it either accepts the new keys or there is a system functionality issue.
The argument that hail damage destroyed the Pats is patently lame. That's as close to diplomatic as i can be for that excuse.
What Andy provided is correct. I have always understood that the system had to get a "hard reset" before new keys can be cloned to the module.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
They kept me two hours after my appointment time (for a "30 minute appointment") and didn't charge me as a result. So no invoice.

Thanks for the reset procedure... I'll give that a try.
So they sold you three keys and never created a repair order to either program the keys and or diagnosis for a malfunction? I am totally confused by this approach.

OP
T
City
Cole Camp
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta Sedan
Thread Starter #9
Thanks, everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to try the reset procedure that @scotman suggested.

Regarding the MyKey procedures @Handy Andy posted, I'll try those as well; they seem straight forward enough.

However the PATS instructions present an issue. The instructions start with "You must have two previously programmed coded keys and the new unprogrammed key readily accessible." This is the issue that prevented me from following those instructions to begin with and the reason I went to the dealership to sort this out. I only have one key.

I don't think the dealership knew why the car had a rebuilt title, just that it had one. They suggested that during rebuild, something might have been damaged. I didn't feel like arguing with them.

I purchased the two transponder keys from locksmith keyless and I still have them. The normal key (without the keyless buttons) was left with the dealer; since it didn't work they didn't charge me for it.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Ok. The circumstances of how-where you got the new keys is important. I still don't understand why no repair order? No R.O. no technician. That's the way tbe whole thing works, or is supposed to work. I suspect that no technician looked at your problem.

OP
T
City
Cole Camp
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta Sedan
Thread Starter #11
Are there problems with aftermarket keys? I thought I bought Ford ones but apparently not. I did make sure the FCCID was the same, though. I went through this with a Focus and an F150 (both pre 2012 models) and the aftermarket keys worked fine.

OP
T
City
Cole Camp
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta Sedan
Thread Starter #12
This is not going to be possible for me to do on my own. Everything I'm reading indicates that I need 1) an admin key to clear the MyKey and 2) both keys to program a new one.

First, the reset procedure had no effect at all. I disconnected the battery, put the key in and turned it to the first position and re-connected the battery. The Sync system said "Performing scheduled maintenance" then started up as usual. The MyKey is still active.

After that I tried following the instructions in the manual to clear MyKeys from the system:

CLEARING ALL MYKEYS
You can clear or change your MyKey settings using the information display control on the steering wheel. See Information Displays (page 83).

Switch the ignition on using an admin key or fob.
To clear all MyKeys of all MyKey settings, press the left arrow button to access the main menu and scroll to:

Message/Action and Description
Settings/Press the OK button.
MyKey/Press the OK button.
Clear MyKey/Press and hold the OK button until the following message displays.
All MyKeys Cleared
The only key I have is not an admin key. Also, the instructions reference buttons I don't have in my car. The only way I can interact with the MyKey stuff is by starting the car. At that point I can get to a MyKey menu in the Sync system but all I can do is view the status. there's no "Clear MyKey" button.

If I look at the troubleshooting, the section that says "I cannot clear the MyKeys" says:

The key or transmitter used to start the vehicle does not have admin privileges.
So moving on to the topic of programming new keys, I have a similar problem. The instructions starting on page 59 state:
You must have two previously
programmed coded keys and the new
unprogrammed key readily accessible. See
your authorized dealer to have the spare
key programmed if two previously
programmed coded keys are not available.
Again, I only have one key.

So it looks like I'm at the mercy of my dealership or maybe another dealership if this one isn't going to put the effort in to figure out what's wrong with it.

That, or I could get FORScan and try it myself, I guess. The procedure seems simple enough.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Are the keyfobs OEM Ford types?

You only need one Admin key to fix the My Key one - you need to make one of the keys you have, Admin.

So, don't use the MY (Old one) Key in the ignition during the Reset - use your (one of your many) new one that when the reset occurs (reload) the system may know the My Key exists - but the key in the ignition is FORD OEM and should acknowledge it sees the key and puts it as Admin (not MY Key programmed).

This is why I have the issue about the Dealer - the fobs are about $250+ from the Ford Dealership and are Genuine - you should not have had any issues with these keys and no, you cannot simply regrind a key and use it - the system will refuse to cooperate unless the mykey is there by you as you drive, and you will have all the limitations of the My key even though you are using a simple key - no fob. It (My Key) and the PATS see each other and only work within the programmed limits of that old key.

My own experiences tells me the Dealer has the problem - but if it is not a Ford dealer or they grabbed a book off a PDF found on the Internet to try and fix this condition using non-Genuine key fobs - both of you wasted your time there.

When you use a key "cut" to fit the door, the system sees the effort as a keyswitch, there is a chain of events that occurs - including a solenoid engaging to unlock along with the key making the physical action for the engagement of a switch and the solenoid electronic action - that confirms the system "sees" the key it's already got it's number and PATS is letting you in.

When your fob is dead, and your car is locked - you can try to press the fob, but that won't work if the batteries are dead.

The next effort is why not unlock using the key? Well you can, but the horn will sound and if you don't have a working fob - the PATS won't let you start the car. IF you manage to start the car - then PATS fails and you can drive away - but that puts PATS in ARM mode for next time.

Which ad infinitum - places you back to RESET and starts this all over again.