Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Ford fiesta St line

Louie02

City
Wirral
State
WA
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford fiesta
I have a Ford fiesta St Line, it has 39000 miles on the clock 2018 model MK8, I am currently experiencing a whining noise when I am moving forward and when I am braking there is a crunching noise, I have change breaks and pads, checked drive train, wheels bearing, engine mount, I have check gearbox oil no metal in the oil. I have had the car on a ramp and can’t see any issues with the car has anyone else experienced this issue, it will make the crunching noise with the car being on a ramp spinning the wheel.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Does it make noise when you turn? Could be a CV axle.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Spinning which wheel?

Steering?

Left Front?
Right Front?
Right Rear?
Left Rear?

Usually with "crunching" may mean Axle - as in CV joint.

Can also be interpreted as a clicking sound - very noticeable in tight turning radius.

Otherwise it (crunching sounds) would be specific to a rotation on a specific wheel.

You also have the front disc brakes dust shields - and their clearance to the rotor might make the sound you describe, but only in heavy steering and moving.

The rear brakes also have caliper and the bracket - but they also have levers for the handbrakes or for the E-brake (Parking brake) which can cause noises - first thing in the morning and when not driven enough - the rust accumulates and can bubble forth in a fashion where the hub/rotor combo and the pads own clearance - tends to drag - making a weird scraping sound (best way to describe it) like you have bad or too thin of pads on the rotors and they're scraping metal.

1681782227154.png

Other conditions can cause this - weak worn springs or rough roads - hard on the suspension - but if the wheel bearings are ok, and they are still OEM - they do have a bit of a runout as they age, so the weight of the load they bear shifts on them, that can generate a scrape sound simply from the nose dive, and even the sway bar link - to sway bar - or one of it's polyurethane cushions - can shear off and now you get a really loud rattle

So it may mean strut work or strut and shock mount issues - or perhaps even the sway bar links - occurs only in rotation and load bearing - sometimes even while steering.

Rear wheel has rotor and handbrake and a close clearance bracket on the inner towards the hub - which can make scraping sounds when it has not been driven much and low-miles usually kills the brakes due to the rust, reduction and oxides that form on the rotors that the pads have to grind away as you drive,

If you don't drive highways speeds often enough to re-polish that surface...
1681778146496.png
They may need to be replaced or turned to make them true again.​

Some surface rust is ok, but deep cuts from the pads covering a spot on the rotor while sitting and the open air and elements getting at the rest of the rotor surface can generate an uneven wear pattern causing you to have no choice but to have a shop check runout and turn the rotors to make them true - else a strumming and shimmy - even a pulsation in the pedal - can be felt from this out of plumb condition. It's simply a divot.

Still a little vague here, but pull off the wheel and look at the brake to dust shield / caliper brackets clearance...

Last edited: