Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Flywheel Options

City
Longview
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta SE
Does anyone have a source for aluminum flywheels or a machine shop who is knowledgeable about lightening a flywheel? I found a place several years ago somewhere on the east coast but cannot find it again to save my life.

2014 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback
Cold Air Intake
OBX Header with high-flo cat, resonator, and DC Sports muffler and 2.5” exhaust
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s
3M Dark Smoke Vinyl Wrapped Lights

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
That might be a part you could source from the U.K. the close equivalent to our 1.6 is called Sigma 1.6. The controls are different in the U.K. so that might not be a good match.
The other issue we have here is the throttle body has a stepper motor on it that's sole task is to prevent rapid throttle plate movement. It is a hydrocarbon reduction strategy.
The SCCA B-Spec and Grand Am series specifications did not allow for a lighter flywheel to be used. So, i think that the feasibility of using one is not great.
I also have some concerns about how much "meat" the stock flywheel has for machine finishing when doing a clutch replacement.
There seems to be more than one issue getting in the way of upgrades in this area.

OP
Dean72
City
Longview
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #3
From what I’ve read before, Fiesta flywheels can lose between 6-8 pounds of material and still be safe for daily use. If I knew where to take it off, I’d be able to do it myself. I lightened a VW flywheel 11-12 pounds years ago and it made a world of difference for the 2110 I built for it.

Thanks for the info on the throttle plate issue. I’ll do some more digging and see what I can find.

2014 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback
Cold Air Intake
OBX Header with high-flo cat, resonator, and DC Sports muffler and 2.5” exhaust
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s
3M Dark Smoke Vinyl Wrapped Lights

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Yes. I had looked at the possibility of the flywheel upgrade early on. But, it became apparent that no path to reflash was going to happen that would have made it doable, i just gave up on engine upgrades and concentrated on lightweighting.
If a lighter flywheel could be made viable, in concert with a reflash that would mitigate the throttle control issues and allow upgraded injectors, camshafts and a larger throttle body, i would be on board with that.
The cost of the upgrades would be pretty expensive.
I have been preparing some components on this forum to install on a future project hatchback that will get a 2.0 Zetec dohc engine and manual transmission from a gen one Focus. Those engines are very mod friendly and have support to do it. They also happen to have
a similar transmission as our Fiesta. So i plan to gut the Fiesta drivetrain , harnesses and controls and substitute them for a more tunable setup.

Last edited:
City
STL
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE
If you live in an area without emissions testing, just rip out the stock computer and throw in a Megasquirt. Then you can do whatever your heart desires.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S General Automotive Discussions 3
MKVIIST Ford Fiesta Ordering 10