Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

3 cylinder died. Engine swap options

City
Cypress
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SFE
At 196,500 miles, the 3 banger in my Fiesta lost oil pressure and was toast before I could get off the freeway. 3 cylinder engines aren't that common near Houston. How hard is to to swap in the common and much cheaper 1.6 liter 4 banger? Or is there a rebuild kit available for the 3 banger?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
No rebuild kits are available, or ever will be available. With close to 200 thousand miles on the clock you really have to assess how much other work will need to be done if you just replace the engine with another 1.0.
If you recently put new brakes, tires and shocks all the way around and maybe even did something like a new windshield or especially a new clutch and flywheel , then the economic argument could be made to just buy a low mileage 1.0 used engine or maybe even a engine and transmission if that is available!
As far as swapping out the 1.0 for a 1.6? I have no idea what it would take. Probably a whole 1.6 manual transmission fiesta that is the same build year. Because the gauge cluster will have to be changed too. Along with the engine harness, fuel system, dash harnesses and probably the front sub frame. That's just off the top of my head guessing.
It is a numbers game for if its worth the hassle. Or just take the dollar amount that you estimate the engine change would cost and go shopping.
Good luck , It sounds like you got pretty good service from the little turbo car. You shouldn't have any regrets about just moving on.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
IF the body is still good, a rebuilt 1.0L versus the 1.6L - the turbo side is going to cost more - considerably...

The 1.6L are more dime a dozen, not exactly a dime, but are far more plentiful and many of them are awaiting the chance at being used to extend the life of another body and frame.

But the 1.6L is EASIER to swap than the turbo - due to the 1.0L requires a lot more in plumbing and then becomes specific to that body and car.

The 1.6L because it's plentiful - can take to the new home because of required rework is less and much of the sensors used are compatible across several body styles - you just keep the original OEM PCM, Instrument Cluster and BCM and you're in like Flynn.
  • ONLY if it is the SAME Engine as the one it had before.
  • Cannot swap Turbo and NA (Normal Aspirated) the PCM's are programmed differently.

Due to the nature - your transmission can be kept but read another thread for the 1.0L might be only Manual - so of the motor arrives as an Automatic, you'll need to do some prep work.

Engine mounts are similar locations - so are the radiator and condenser - your totaled car is your template if you wish to swap out the useable parts from the damaged one.

Now, if you can get a totaled-out Fiesta that has little (to none - Rear ended sort of thing) engine damage but some miles then the swap to it (if it's a 1.6L - see above bulleted list) - is easier - the PCM, BCM and the Instrument Cluster can stay - the engine gets to the new home easily enough.

So can the 1.0L if you can find one in similar condition - but the issue of surviving that accident the other one had, might involve more turbo work than it's worth. You have to find a working 1.0L - far less choices too.

The biggest hints are - both cars can be different trim lines, but their engines HAVE TO BE THE SAME type for your original PCM, BCM and Instrument Cluster to wire up and work correctly - uses minimal changeover

As a basic reminder - it's a lot of work - not for the timid - attention to details are a must-have to pull this off.

Last edited: