Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

First gear trouble

Jackie

City
Preston
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford fiesta
Hello
Can anyone advise on my problem. I have a ford fiesta 2015 plate. Recently I am struggling to get it into first gear. Although this doesnt happen every time I drive it, sometimes it's quite often. My local garage had a look at it and typically it didn't do it with them, so the problem couldn't be diagnosed. It is worrying me driving it in case something gors wrong. Also, since it went in to be checked, I now have to press the clutch and brake to start the car, when I have had it 2 years and only had to press the clutch to start. Sorry for the ramble....can anyone help?

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
The shifter is cable operated. You may need to adjust the cable.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I would find a more dedicated transmission shop to help you.

Why? You have a housing that encases the shift levers - and if the cover is damaged or cracked, water can get in, or it can hinder the shifting.

You'll need to get under there and investigate. The housing is on the left side, under the battery - it is the cover that keeps the shifter assembly from getting whacked or struck by road debris.

IF you have not found it by now, it is why I strongly urge you to find a local transmission shop to help you diagnose this could be something as simple as a little oil to free up the shift levers onto a more serious condition of a damaged shifter fork which is an internal to the transmission - issue.