Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

torque-converter automatic gearbox fiesta 2017 100 hp

flosfc

City
Geneva
State
Non-US
Country
France
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 100 hp automatic 2018
Hello I have a Ford Fiesta 7 eco boost 100 hp with a 6 speed torque converter automatic transmission. I have a problem with the automatic transmission. There are small shocks to change gears, especially from second to third gear. The transmission is not smooth. Has anyone ever had this problem? Thank you for your help.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The PRNDL (not PRNDS - or S for SPORT) shift - that may be due to actuators and some need of an oil change for the transmission - it comes "sealed" from the factory for the lifetime of the vehicle, but that is kind of moot these days for vehicles are lasting a lot longer than initially planned.

So if the shop can provide some help - change out the old transmission fluid and filter and, the actuators will need attention, as to what type? That depends on the inspection outcome. They are similar in design to the DSP6 type which is the SPORT version that has had PROBLEM with shifting. But the torque converter ones the slack and play the converter has - is what dampens the effects other notice with the SPORT DSP DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) and headaches from it.

Usually it's a programming problem, but in the torque converter PRNDL types it's the AGE and miles (or km) on the transmission that makes it do this. Hot weather does not help. Fluid gets too thin in the heat - on top of the fact that the actuators in the TCM (Transmission Control Module) develop a level of "slop" or free play - which makes it feel like it's stumbling.

How much work or service history has been kept on the motor?

OP
F

flosfc

City
Geneva
State
Non-US
Country
France
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 100 hp automatic 2018
Thread Starter #3
Thank you for your answer.
My gearbox is a PNRDS with torque converter. The car is from 2018 with 47,000 km. If I change the oil in the automatic transmission, would that solve the jerking problem?
If I understand correctly, the problems I am experiencing are known for the PRNDS gearbox?
Thank you for your answer.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Lot of them are timing, we here in the USA, have had several "recalls" not sure of what could be applied or done in other countries - but here, a "reflash" of programming updates usually cures much of the shifter problems.

Does not cure all of them though. There are issues around drivability and hesitation - which are a different set of beasts - which requires a tune up.

Spark plugs, air filter - even EGR - let alone regular oil changes...

The reason why I mentioned the change of fluid is that fluid, like any other, breaks down.

The sealed housing and the OEM oil used as it ages, with that and the mileage/km traveled - affect how the transmission continues to perform, is most instances the shifting and the shift points are different - so if the tune-ups, if they are not followed, it's harder to make the transmission behave

You use the 1.0L turbo'd model - so this changes how the DSP6 and it's DCT operates - the motor it's hooked up to is not the ones that gave many of us here in the U.S. those headaches (1.6L)

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Lot of them are timing, we here in the USA, have had several "recalls" not sure of what could be applied or done in other countries - but here, a "reflash" of programming updates usually cures much of the shifter problems.

Does not cure all of them though. There are issues around drivability and hesitation - which are a different set of beasts - which requires a tune up.

Spark plugs, air filter - even EGR - let alone regular oil changes...

The reason why I mentioned the change of fluid is that fluid, like any other, breaks down.

The sealed housing and the OEM oil used as it ages, with that and the mileage/km traveled - affect how the transmission continues to perform, is most instances the shifting and the shift points are different - so if the tune-ups, if they are not followed, it's harder to make the transmission behave

You use the 1.0L turbo'd model - so this changes how the DSP6 and it's DCT operates - the motor it's hooked up to is not the ones that gave many of us here in the U.S. those headaches (1.6L)