Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Dual clutch transmission

Lisag

City
Newport
State
RI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta
Ok, so I'm new to this whole automatic dual clutch transmission. I've never driven a stick before but my car feels like this is how it would drive if it was a manual transmission. Has anyone had any issues with a jerking feeling when either turning a corner or sometimes coming to a slow stop? It makes a noise too like almost a rattling sound. Is this normal? I've had a mechanic look over a few things and nothing seemed to be mechanically wrong. Please help!

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Welcome to the forum.

I have a DCT with no issues @ 67k miles. It is a stick-gearbox with a computer-driven dual-clutch; not a slushbox automatic. There are others here who have more experience than I do on this and I suspect they will chime in. My DCT, I drive it like a stick. I am not hesitant with the throttle. A slushbox deals with that a bit better than the DCT. The DCT needs me to be committal to the throttle. The throttle is not an on/off switch, but a DCT doesn't seem to like the mess around. The gearbox is pre-selecting the gear based on what it senses is going on; so if you get going in 1 first, the gearbox has already pre-selected 2nd in anticipation of continued acceleration...then third, and so on. Hence the dual-clutch...one clutch for 1st gear, second clutch engages 2nd, then first clutch engages 3rd gear, and so on. SO you can, sort of mess up its understanding by being hesitant with either throttle or brake. The jerky feeling may be the gearbox or how you drive it. If you are braking and turning and coasting (no throttle), the gearbox may not know whether to go up or down a gear. Best to drive it like old-school race cars. Get all your braking done in a straight line. Back on the throttle while cornering. A DCT doesn't seem to understand trail-braking very well; it confuses the computer trying to figure out if you are stopping (trying to downshift next) or getting ready to accelerate (trying to upshift). On the other hand, as I said earlier, the gearbox does have some issues. What year is your car? I see your profile says it's a 2013.

The rattling may not be the gearbox. Could be a CV joint or a motor mount or a bad exhaust hangar. How many miles on the car? Tell us more about the rattling. Is it consistent...same conditions all the time? Have you changed anything lately that now could be loose? Because you hear the rattling when you turn, I immediately go to CV joints, but more detail would help.

Last edited:
City
Saint peters
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta s hatchback
The shudder jerking feel is not right....it SHOULD NOT FEEL LIKE YOUR ABOUT TO DUMP THE CLUTCH!! ive had this happen. Its leaking fluid into the dry clutch assembly do to bad input shaft seals. Now on the 123 downshift and rattle thats the gear forks selecting and pre selecting gears for you.

City
Longview
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta SE
Ok, so I'm new to this whole automatic dual clutch transmission. I've never driven a stick before but my car feels like this is how it would drive if it was a manual transmission. Has anyone had any issues with a jerking feeling when either turning a corner or sometimes coming to a slow stop? It makes a noise too like almost a rattling sound. Is this normal? I've had a mechanic look over a few things and nothing seemed to be mechanically wrong. Please help!
2012 Focus shuddered like massive wheelhop. I don’t know if they improved in later years, but the early ones are junk.

2014 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback
Cold Air Intake
OBX Header with high-flo cat, resonator, and DC Sports muffler and 2.5” exhaust
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s
3M Dark Smoke Vinyl Wrapped Lights

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Welcome to the forum. I would be visiting a Ford dealership service department to find out what level of software updates that the car is currently at. I also understand that the service history of the car should be viewable to the service manager. Some material changes occured along with the software updates. Clutch pack material specs and seal material specs have evolved in the past few years. It would be good to know what has been done!
Lions tooth has explained very well that the DPS6 transmission prefers to be driven in a decisively firm and direct manner. A neighbor of mine said that the shifting behavior became better when he began to treat it like a dog that needed to be given firm direction and handling! I thought that was a brilliant analogy. He is a gun dog trainer. So it makes sense.

Jo Ann

City
Waterford
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta SE
Would a Ford dealership service department automatically update software when you bring the car in for a diagnostics test regarding the transmission? Nothing was ever said to me about any kind of a software update that the car had or needed. I bought the car used from a used car dealer and have no history on the car other than what Ford sends out as recall notices. I will ask when I drop the car off to Ford next week for a new clutch if current updates have been made to the car. I am hoping that the new parts they put in are improved over what was put in the car originally. I wish the warranty was still in effect but it's not and it is costly; $1,600 my out-of-pocket cost.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Would a Ford dealership service department automatically update software when you bring the car in for a diagnostics test regarding the transmission? Nothing was ever said to me about any kind of a software update that the car had or needed. I bought the car used from a used car dealer and have no history on the car other than what Ford sends out as recall notices. I will ask when I drop the car off to Ford next week for a new clutch if current updates have been made to the car. I am hoping that the new parts they put in are improved over what was put in the car originally. I wish the warranty was still in effect but it's not and it is costly; $1,600 my out-of-pocket cost.
Yeah have them do all the recalls and insist they fix any old issues. If you are persistent, they may fix more than you expect. Ask them about software updates...I am not sure what you have and what might be available.