Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2019 Fiesta Hatchback Quirks, Tips, Hidden Features, concerns etc

City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Fiesta
Hello,

I just got a 2019 Ford Fiesta Hatchback with less than 16k miles to replace my 2009 Ford Focus that is set to be totaled due to frame damage from a collision (the entire front end is bent to the left and the shop is fairly certain the insurance is going to total it)

But I've never had a car this nice before (i have heated seats and heated mirrors for example) I was wondering if there were Quirks, tricks (like my wife's 2018 Escape SE can be remotely started from the Ford Pass app) tips, hidden features of it, concerns about it (the dealer already checked the brakes and transmission before I bought it)

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Not too much really. The manual transmission Fiesta is very reliable. Some maintenance items like the coolant reservoir are best replaced by year three. But, they are inexpensive and easy to swap out yourself. Sync and the voice communication is sometimes flaky. But they improved it by the 2016 model year.
Being a small car, cargo organization and accessories like floor liners and mats are really important for keeping the interior clean and uncluttered.
The dual clutch automatic transmission was very problematic early on. But, the updates and material spec upgrades have improved it dramatically. It is best driven with the attitude that you are in a bit of a hurry to get somewhere. The controller doesn’t reward drivers who have “indecisive” throttle and brake behavior.

Last edited:

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Does it have a manual transmission, or the dual clutch automatic?
Your issues will vary, depending on that point.
If it's a manual, change your trans fluid with this: https://www.ravenolamerica.com/passenger-car-products/75w-80-gear-oil-ravenol-mtf-2/
Thank me later.

If it's the dual clutch auto, you need to understand that you shift it with the throttle. It's almost like a manual in that respect.
Also, change the fluid with some good synthetic. I can't recommend a particular kind.

Some LED lights in the interior really help. More modern light, and less draw on the battery.

Last edited:
OP
M
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Fiesta
Thread Starter #4
If it's a manual, change your trans fluid with this: https://www.ravenolamerica.com/passenger-car-products/75w-80-gear-oil-ravenol-mtf-2/
Thank me later.

If it's the dual clutch auto, you need to understand that you shift it with the throttle. It's almost like a manual in that respect.
Also, change the fluid with some good synthetic. I can't recommend a particular kind.

Some LED lights in the interior really help. More modern light, and less draw on the battery.
Mines the 6 speed Automatic trans.
I did discover 'Sport' mode (i accidently overshifted to sport instead of Drive driving it off the dealer lot) and that made me feel like I was back in an manual, but it was helpful driving in a rain/snow mix storm over some decent hills (I prefer more manual controls in that situation).

As for interior lighting, My Fiesta actually came with the Ford interior light add-on package so it has the footwells and cup holders for now.
It also came with heated seats (great for my back pain issues), and the Sync 3 upgrade package (traction control for example gets controlled there), which I love for the Android Auto capabilities.

It just reached 15.4k miles earlier today when I ran a grocery trip. The dealer I got it from did an oil change and all the 15k scheduled maintenance the same day I started showing interest in it (it was a 3ish day process).

It does have a few scratches on the interior plastic, but I dont mind since I have dogs who'd scratch it up anyway.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Nice! Every review I ever saw about the Fiesta talked about the cheap plastics. I like that because it's easy to clean. Cars get dirty, and having to be super careful about cleaning them is frustrating. I'd rather just wipe it down and use a little Armor All or something to condition it so it doesn't fade or crack in the sun. Easy-peasy. A wet vac cleans cloth seats very well.

OP
M
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Fiesta
Thread Starter #6
Nice! Every review I ever saw about the Fiesta talked about the cheap plastics. I like that because it's easy to clean. Cars get dirty, and having to be super careful about cleaning them is frustrating. I'd rather just wipe it down and use a little Armor All or something to condition it so it doesn't fade or crack in the sun. Easy-peasy. A wet vac cleans cloth seats very well.
Right!!!!
I was researching this car before I bought it (how I found out about thr brake recall, but my Vin wasn't affected, but the dealer did the repair anyway just to be safe) and I noticed a lot of focus on the 'cheap' plastic too.

My wife's dad has an Audi and mentioned that it is a pain to clean in the winter time in Montana due to the materials used. (My car came with Weather Tech floor and cargo liners which I'm excited about as I've had great experiences with those liners).

But I have animals that like to scratch things so they can look out the window (I've tried the doggy seat belts and they are not fans at all and tried chewing it of them or got stress poops for hours). So making it with cheaper plastic helps because the cost to fix that is a lot less than fixing them sratching a more expensive material.

I have noticed that when coming from a stop, the transmission almost feels like it jumps in the low gears (between 1 and 2) while accelerating. But I've noticed it doesn't do it if I'm in sport mode, where i can manually shift between 1 and 2, so I'm thinking it's just the acceleration was a bit faster than the computer shifting (could also be because my 2009 Focus took a little more weight on the pedal to get a decent start from a stop than this car does), or the speed wasn't constant enough to complete the shift (dipped just low enough that the computer tried shifting down).

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
I have noticed that when coming from a stop, the transmission almost feels like it jumps in the low gears (between 1 and 2) while accelerating. But I've noticed it doesn't do it if I'm in sport mode, where i can manually shift between 1 and 2, so I'm thinking it's just the acceleration was a bit faster than the computer shifting (could also be because my 2009 Focus took a little more weight on the pedal to get a decent start from a stop than this car does), or the speed wasn't constant enough to complete the shift (dipped just low enough that the computer tried shifting down).
The dual clutch auto has had lots of problems. In the US, that is.
Everywhere else, no. People in other countries can drive manual transmissions.

Learn to use throttle input to make it shift how you want.

OP
M
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Fiesta
Thread Starter #8
The dual clutch auto has had lots of problems. In the US, that is.
Everywhere else, no. People in other countries can drive manual transmissions.

Learn to use throttle input to make it shift how you want.
I mean I learned how to drive initially on old farm trucks with sticky manual transmissions in Montana.
I'm definitely rusty on manuals from driving an auto so long, but can run them better than 90% of my generation. I'm figuring out that throttle shift method and how it differs from a 'regular' automatic. It's kinda fun learning a new car. (Part of me wants to have a day when I exclusive drive in sport mode to really force my manual shifts, patt of me wants to save the engine long term though)

I did have one issue pop up. My outside temp is no longer reading properly. It's trying to tell me it's almost 60 degrees when it's below freezing outside. Since I just got the car, I'm not quite ready to be doing things like pulling the bumper off to manually reset the Ambient air sensor.

I do have access to the ForScan app (I used it with my old focus to do some engine tuning when a new air intake made it run rough), so if it's something I can fix in there, I can always fix it in there.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Most of the earlier versions of Powershift that are still on the road have had several different updates from the original version and are just fine.
I believe that the driver of a DPS6 should be more aware of throttle behavior than what’s needed to drive a conventional torque converter automatic transmission.

Last edited:

Mercurios2011

Premium Account
City
interlachen
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 fiesta se 5spd
Thank me later.

wow , I didn't know there was something else compatible with the manual trans fluid (other than super expensive Red Line) , I have 70 dollars worth of OEM fluid for just 2 qts :LOL:
that I thought I got a deal thru Amazon. anyway THANKS for the info!!!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I did have one issue pop up. My outside temp is no longer reading properly. It's trying to tell me it's almost 60 degrees when it's below freezing outside. Since I just got the car, I'm not quite ready to be doing things like pulling the bumper off to manually reset the Ambient air sensor.
Just don't have the fun I had back when.

The ambient temp sensor is to be found by removing the front left headlight assembly - two bolts, one plastic trim screw and the connector from it to the harness - a gentle lift (observe for the rear bolt has an alignment tab to keep it in place) and slight twist turn, you'll see a lot of open air for some air intake ideas and the ambient temp sensor is on the radiator front shroud, the front shroud that collects the air going thru into the nose.

If you know where the air snorkel is, then the sensor is right next to and just below it - on that front shroud.

Looks like this once it's off it's connector...
1679271633893.png

You may need a new one - for if it's "nose" is cracked - that will cause the errant readings - kind of turns it into a humidity reader than a temp reading - salt and dirt does that to it.