Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2014 Ford Fiesta SE problem (it screams basically)

City
Morgantown
State
WV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta
My car has had a plethora of noises, such as it sounding like I’m dragging plastic when accelerating. However, lately it has had a sound where it essentially sounds like it’s screaming almost. I have had all the recalls fixed on it. It occurs when I’m slowing down, or accelerating after slowing down, and it also causes my fiesta to rev extremely harder than normal, out of nowhere. I almost thought it could have been my serpentine belt, however, I had it checked and apparently it is completely fine. The sound is hard for me to describe, it isn’t a squealing noise or a squeaking noise and it isn’t particularly very high pitched. It literally just sounds like my car is screaming.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Wheel bearing can do this but it's noise made is localized and not easy to tell unless you have a runout gauge.

Brakes can also squeal - but do so when applied - when they are at rest, they just ride along with little tension or surface pressure - they'd make a scraping sound like dragging or fingernails on chalkboard when you apply the brakes.

CV joints can also make a noise but start out as a low rumble - then in coast - no load or throttle - they groan and even vibrate your steering wheel if really bad. Leaky boots usually do this. Take off the front wheels and inspect - even inside the rims of the wheels they might get coated with the CV joint grease.
1684077520440.png

Did they check the exhaust manifold?

There is a heat shield, and the manifold itself uses several hangers thru the system - Heat shields can rattle loose over time and if a hanger "bushing" is worn out, the metal bracket that holds the exhaust pipe standoff, can rattle against the bracket.

The "causes my fiesta to rev extremely harder than normal, " part makes me think it's might be the water pump or timing belt tensioner inside the motor - which can set off a knock sensor making the engine sag under acceleration because the squeal causes the sensors to send a noise to the PCM, which cant figure out what to do so it "defaults'" to a low advance level of timing thinking something is not right - which makes the car seem sluggish.

The torque of the engine on it's mounts - that motion or shift - can twist the exhaust system and pipe to press against those mounts - making a noise travel thru the car that well, - making not unlike the sound of 4 baby bobcats fighting over a stinker - one of them left behind in a litterbox - the smell (or noise) goes away eventually, but not without a ruckus.

1684070769974.png
Ok, it's over, job done!
Time for a nap...​

Last edited: