Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2013 straightpiped ford fiesta would this exhaust work and is this a legit website????

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Looks a little too good to be true.

EDIT: I'd call the number and ask about it.
J2 has a website. https://j2race.com/

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Read the wording carefully...

2.75? Thats the outlet tip - and its twin outlet - but what about how much (diameter and length) of it has to get thru first to get there?

Shows 2.25 OD (Outer diameter) (See: INLET) but has less than that for actual working volume for passage (2.14 - what is inside as diameter of area for that exhaust to pass) so you get 2"-1/4 pipe, but only have about 2" - 1/8 to 2"-5/32 to pass exhaust thru, now that can help in reducing backpressure - but Catalytic (that cat back - from Catalytic on downstream) will be needed for else O2 sensor issues will come up.

So, measure your own exhaust pipe first before you commit.

• Understand too: you are limited to the sizes of the exhaust ports and their collection system (header) - so if the pipe fits the catalyst outlet - that's the only true limitation - the catalytic converter and its construction.
  • Another aspect is "how fast" that air passes thru the pipes to get to the muffler - and it's pretty fast at mid throttle - we are not talking road speed, actual air volume uptake - those exhaust ports will have a considerable amount of puff to them (volume) so the outlet and that long run puts you at a disadvantage - the resonator near the cat on the typical Fiesta develops the smooth stream to the rear muffler and tries to take up some of the puffs of volume for performance and take-off effects
    • - hence; all those restrictive elements and their effects on the downstream - make the Fiesta work, drive and sound the way it does
    • - its' not a Focus or one of those tuned systems designed for high performance free-flow.
      • Ford has tricks up their sleeves - but it was not applied to a typical Fiesta for the commuter car that it is - it can be a lot more - just Ford didn't invest that into this - they did that to their ST lines.
      • In light of lowered notes, the pipe will have those puffs of exhaust gases passing under - there is no collector - so that noise will simply be a vibrating pipe under your seats - the noise will be towards the back - and if not done right will make for a noisy commute, an embarrassing sound effect and deprecate the investment your car is.
  • I'm not saying you can't - just be ready to have somewhat of a mess on your hands if this turns out to be an epic fail.

Compare the sizes - determine if it's Strong enough and durable enough - for if you're into low rise - rides - then potholes and road debris are going to be a major worry - did I forget to mention crossbucks?

1664120966944.png

Deep Tone? Unless you're into Musical Instruments (even if you are you know) there is not enough room in those end-pipes to lower the tone by any sort of means - you'll need more emphasis on the resonator - and if its' outlet is their claimed 2.75 - then the blow-thru and the chamber behind - is not enough to change tone - it needs a longer larger chamber to obtain those lower notes.

I know this may be overkill, but understand that as you make your effort to develop the tones, remember you're own working with two values - the air volume and the speed - both depend on the RPM which is a scale in itself but the Volume of air required to produce the notes from such a system - the lower note requires up to four times the amount of air in volume and pressure to obtain it, this works against you as you try to provide it using RPM and speed - so you need the resonator to help "shake" out those lower notes.

1664623198851.png

Review the photos - there are different ways to upgrade - this is a good way, but are you doing this for those right reasons or attempting to achieve an annoying noise you, your passengers - and those around you and your radio - will have to drown out because the install went bad, and it can't be tuned?

As per the site, size looks more like a trumpet or Saxaphone - but nowhere close to being a Tuba...

Last edited:
City
St Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'14 SE Sedan
I got this for my sedan and it didn't fit. Could not get ahold of anyone from J2 or the seller to see if a pieces was missing. I didn't mind the sound. pops if you want that too

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
I got this for my sedan and it didn't fit. Could not get ahold of anyone from J2 or the seller to see if a pieces was missing. I didn't mind the sound. pops if you want that too
Take it to a pro who can make it fit. Anything's possible.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Now, if you're inclined and have a good welder nearby, they can put the pipes on, but what you may want to look more for is a Resonator - a extra section of tube that's got more area to collect and utilize those puffs for extra effect.

1664190490511.png

The sausage thingy the middle is what I'm talking about - the Fiesta already uses a resonator but designed more for collection (It's pretty short and not designed for tones) and it's for the backpressure that would build immediately upon acceleration - that is usually what kills any effort to make a system have a lower tone - what works against you is the backpressure - it tends to wash out any ability to collect and time that energy in straight pipes - so you take that backpressure and use it in the system as a means of developing a tone.

The problem with a Fiesta is the dynamics of only so much air - so the range or span for tonal range is limited by the airflow present - so lower notes require more air than the system can supply - so you get a flat note - not a dynamic range and tonal range for tune. Thats the reason for that extra wide tube to help you develop the notes.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The site looks dodgy to me. You would be much happier with a name brand aftermarket performance muffler and tailpipe tip.