Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2012 Ford Fiesta S Coilovers

MaxTheCar

City
Wichita
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta
I would like to know what kind of coilovers I can get for my 2012 Fiesta that will change the handling a little bit since I'm not really pleased with stock suspension. I am looking for something that will not dramatically change the ride height, but will improve handling, specifically around offroad corners. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I was considering these but I'm not sure:

https://raceland.com/product/ford-f...yb-XGde11Y_Ch80tVS5zWfLR_PFQZBEsaAkmiEALw_wcB

My budget is around $1,000.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
You would be much happier with a set of high quality performance dampers.
I have to assume that you find the stock suspension is "softer" than you like. You don't say exactly why you are considering the coilovers.
Either Bilstein B6 or Koni STR.T are very good picks. Either of those will work with the stock coils.
If you scan this section of the forums. There are several threads that would have some usable information about this subject.
Coilovers are great for track toys and race cars. But, they have several serious drawbacks on a street driven car.
I would be upgrading the tires to an H speed rated type no larger than 205/50 R15 if you want to improve the handling even more with the new dampers.

Lions tooth and I probably sound like kill joys. But we have both had cars and worked on cars with coilovers. We love the adjustable nature of them. But, daily use in the real world is too much hassle.

Last edited:

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
I would like to know what kind of coilovers I can get for my 2012 Fiesta that will change the handling a little bit since I'm not really pleased with stock suspension. I am looking for something that will not dramatically change the ride height, but will improve handling, specifically around offroad corners. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
I was considering these but I'm not sure:
https://raceland.com/product/ford-f...yb-XGde11Y_Ch80tVS5zWfLR_PFQZBEsaAkmiEALw_wcB
My budget is around $1,000.
The set you referenced say they drop 1-3-inches so that would preclude what say you want (1-inch? I consider a lot). I don't think coilovers do much for a street application other than complicate things. Once you get into COs you have to start doing corner weighting and they can get bound up on the threads; unless you are super anal about cleaning them like weekly at least. They add level of maintenance that most people don't want to deal with. There are others here that have more experience with what you are looking for...they will chime in.

OP
MaxTheCar

MaxTheCar

City
Wichita
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #4
I have to assume that you find the stock suspension is "softer" than you like. You don't say exactly why you are considering the coilovers.
Either Bilstein B6 or Koni STR.T are very good picks. Either of those will work with the stock coils.
If you scan this section of the forums. There are several threads that would have some usable information about this subject.
Coilovers are great for track toys and race cars. But, they have several serious drawbacks on a street driven car.
I would be upgrading the tires to an H speed rated type no larger than 205/50 R15 if you want to improve the handling even more with the new dampers.

Lions tooth and I probably sound like kill joys. But we have both had cars and worked on cars with coilovers. We love the adjustable nature of them. But, daily use in the real world is too much hassle.
I'm looking for suspension that's good both offroad for taking tight turns, as well as for daily street use. If you think B6 or Koni STR-T is good for that then I'll consider getting that. I called Team O'Neill and they also said they use B6's and Koni's.

OP
MaxTheCar

MaxTheCar

City
Wichita
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #5

On top of that, I just want all around better suspension. The stock suspension is too soft for my tastes like you said. Just need stiffer suspension as well in general.

City
Woodbridge
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE
Koni is a solid brand I’ve trusted with nearly all of my cars. The bilsteins would be a solid option if you expect you’ll be doing different suspension adjustments for track use, but the additional investment may go to waste with the beating you plan to put them through by going off road. The oranges would be great paired with nearly all of of the spring options I’ve seen available (-1-2”/15-40mm drop) and would provide a stiffer rebound rate with a comparable compression rate if I read the chart right.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
On top of that, I just want all around better suspension. The stock suspension is too soft for my tastes like you said. Just need stiffer suspension as well in general.
You will want to replace the suspension bushings. Front asb bushings too. There are discussion threads on all that, including pictures of the process.
If you are planning to play in the dirt, lowering coils might turn the Fiesta into a bulldozer. I would put it on whatever O'Neil uses.
I have to admit that I have never experienced an "all around better" suspension. Changes are made to make it "better for a given type of situation".

Last edited:
OP
MaxTheCar

MaxTheCar

City
Wichita
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #8
You will want to replace the suspension bushings. Front asb bushings too. There are discussion threads on all that, including pictures of the process.
If you are planning to play in the dirt, lowering coils might turn the Fiesta into a bulldozer. I would put it on whatever O'Neil uses.
I have to admit that I have never experienced an "all around better" suspension. Changes are made to make it "better for a given type of situation".
Well yeah. I mean, I just want improved suspension. I'm sure for normal people who go from A to B everyday and that's all they care about stock suspension is fine. For me, I want stock ride height, don't want anything lowered obviously because it would be a bulldozer like you said offroad. I was definitely considering what O'Neill uses. I even called them, they said they use Bilstein B6 with stock coils and Koni Reds sometimes for their work horse Fiestas. I'll look into bushings. Thanks for the help. :)

OP
MaxTheCar

MaxTheCar

City
Wichita
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #9
Koni is a solid brand I’ve trusted with nearly all of my cars. The bilsteins would be a solid option if you expect you’ll be doing different suspension adjustments for track use, but the additional investment may go to waste with the beating you plan to put them through by going off road. The oranges would be great paired with nearly all of of the spring options I’ve seen available (-1-2”/15-40mm drop) and would provide a stiffer rebound rate with a comparable compression rate if I read the chart right.
Could you possibly send a link to the Koni's you're reffering to? I'd like to check it out. Thanks!

City
Woodbridge
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE
Could you possibly send a link to the Koni's you're reffering to? I'd like to check it out. Thanks!
These are the Koni SRT.T's also known affectionately as "Oranges" : https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Products/Cars/1125-STR-T-Kit-(Orange)/

The Bilsteins (I'm currently doing my research so you'll have to bear with me here) seem to be much more well recieved than the Koni Oranges with a more predictable and stiffer valving according to the ST guys. There's also the Koni Yellows, which are an adjustable setup.

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I have purchased and installed both of those dampers on my Fiesta's if you guys choose either of them, please post up your impression of them and what springs you chose in the threads in the suspension section. Then we can have a current data base of what is out there!