Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Ford Fiesta 2012 Intermittant Start

Dnaiel

City
Brisbane
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta WT 1.6L AUTO DCT
My 2012 Ford Fiesta has been having this issue lately. When I get in turn the ignition to ON, dash lights come on, turn off and all that stays is the engine, oil, battery and brake. But the PCM light also stays on. The car will not start when this PCM light is on. In order to start the car I'm having to wait for it to turn off, this takes sometimes a couple seconds sometimes a 45 minutes. I do not know what is causing this. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Attachments

OP
D

Dnaiel

City
Brisbane
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta WT 1.6L AUTO DCT
Thread Starter #2
When the light turns off, Car starts and all lights turn off

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Hmmm. Ok, please understand that we work in the USA, so to see someone from Down Under...Welcome Mate!

If I gather your photo correctly you have two lights signifying types of conditions that a malfunction is occurring or has occurred.

Bear with me...
1683852134970.png
In the case of your vehicle, you have two one the upper one that looks like the Engine in outline, is what we call the MIL or Malfunction Indicator Light - our system is similar to a dumb waiter - only good to bring attention to your system - it is up to you to figure it out.

When these light up, in the USA we often use a Code scanner to obtain the Code as to the WHY it is on.

You have BOTH lights on, you have a serious condition - one light on, means a fault is happening and it will take time to sort it out.

Your situation - I see the Exclamation point one, which is specific to the POWERTRAIN - so that is how the system sees an error.

You own a DCT - looks to be that either you have a weak battery or there is a problem with the PCM and TCM (your DCT transmission module) are not communicating, or one is telling the other that I have to do a calibration.

So this may mean a trip to the dealer and you might want to do some checking of your battery and it's condition - make sure the cables and ground points are firm and clean so you can have a good connection condition.

I'll stop here and see where you want to go with this.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Do you live near the ocean? What engine and transmission is it equipped with?
Have you fully charged the battery and done a load test?