Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2011-2018 Fiesta Handling Package, Anyone?

City
Longview
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta SE
Frustrating is being nice

I can live with the slightly higher shift rpm, but a close ratio 5 speed like the Tremecs would be just plain fun.

2014 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback
Cold Air Intake
OBX Header with high-flo cat, resonator, and DC Sports muffler and 2.5” exhaust
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s
3M Dark Smoke Vinyl Wrapped Lights

City
Saint peters
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta s hatchback
we
The fuel economy oriented gearing was my biggest frustration! I am searching the specification sheets of other, past Ford products that used the IB-5 transmission. Those the 2 and 3 ratios may be better in some other applications. The situation was very limiting in the Fiesta for people who autocross or attend track events.
Hince why we NEED A TUNE!! This drives me bannanas. Not going down The piggy back stand alone route. Nobodys been able to get these ECUs locked? On the nitrous topic I'll start off small and work my way up. I'll make a hit then check AF. and spark plugs. Rather be rich then lean. Ill put in safties in place like WOT switch/bottle warmer/purge kit/rpm window gauge 3000rpm up. Yada yada. On a other note im going to tap into fuel at the hose and not the rail. I think a T fitting would just be more practical I have faith that extra fuel will still be delivered.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
we

Hince why we NEED A TUNE!! This drives me bannanas. Not going down The piggy back stand alone route. Nobodys been able to get these ECUs locked? On the nitrous topic I'll start off small and work my way up. I'll make a hit then check AF. and spark plugs. Rather be rich then lean. Ill put in safties in place like WOT switch/bottle warmer/purge kit/rpm window gauge 3000rpm up. Yada yada. On a other note im going to tap into fuel at the hose and not the rail. I think a T fitting would just be more practical I have faith that extra fuel will still be delivered.
I hear ya. I have had a decade to stew about the whole thing. I would be on board with the stand alone route. But I am not well versed in how i could get the aftermarket EFI to control the somewhat novel advance-retard method of oil pressurized cam phasers. I understand that it is very fast reacting, which is great. But, i would have to do a deep dive into the aftermarket EFI systems capabilities to control the timing. Another issue is fuel delivery. The stock system is demand driven with no return line. A pump driver interprets throttle angle and sends a request for more fuel. So, added injectors or even just one injector is going to present quite a problem in terms of volume and pressure.
I believe that the fuel system in stock form may be very "upgrade limited" in ways that are not immediately recognized.
I am a big fan of Megasquirt. But, the cost of it on top of even the most elementary basic "must have upgrades" that we would require would blow the costs sky high.
I have began to collect various components, some of them i have threads here on, to do a two liter Zetec engine and controls into a Fiesta body shell.
The Focus 2.0 has a tremendous amount of aftermarket support. Better cams, bigger injectors and throttle body. Intakes, indexed cam gears. Chips and ECU's. The whole wet dream.
Plus the IB-5 transmission was behind the 2.0 in some applications.
I have concluded that the 2.0 swap is probably a more cost effective path, for a non turbocharged fiesta, than an extensive reworking of the 1.6 engine.
I guess that I am going to find out! I bought a rear hit Focus zx3 with manual transmission last fall for $375 bucks that runs great. I am going to strip the Zetec out of it and find a Fiesta body shell to convert to the Zetec- IB5. But i am going to have a transmission shop change the differential and some 2nd, 3rd and possibly 4th gear ratios for something less fuel economy oriented. The IB- 5 has been in several Ford cars over the years plus there are some racing and rally parts. So, it has some parts out there.
None of this really applies to someone who wants a turbo Fiesta. Those are available and getting cheaper every year! Cheaper to buy but more costly to maintain.
I want something that is in between the under powered basic fiesta and the high maintenance FiST.

Last edited:
City
Saint peters
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta s hatchback
Theres potential in the 2.0 duratec engine. Plenty for this motor but not the 1.6l. Im not savy with the whole tuning and computers . is there anyrhing stopping us from using the ECU in the 🇬🇧 market? If nit compatible whats stopping it from being?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Theres potential in the 2.0 duratec engine. Plenty for this motor but not the 1.6l. Im not savy with the whole tuning and computers . is there anyrhing stopping us from using the ECU in the 🇬🇧 market? If nit compatible whats stopping it from being?
Everything i have read indicates zero compatibility with the E.U. versions. I don't want to imagine the costs and importation hurdles if that were even possible!
As it is. I can walk around behind my shop and start the Zetec 2.0 i actually have! I didn't explore the possible use of the 2.0 duratec. It has many of the same types of controls as the 1.6 IE; throttle by wire, Stepper motor control of the throttle plate, and some other things to do with fuel economy and keeping the lid on peak rpms. I want something closer to cave man tech
The big issue with the Focus Zetec that I can see right now is the subframe will need to be altered to allow the reversed positions for exhaust manifold and the intake manifold versus the 1.6. The underhood fuse box in the focus is about where the brake fluid reservoir sits in Fiesta. Im not too concerned about that.

Everything else, the coolant reservoir, air box, 20210313_143718_HDR.jpg battery location and cooling system hoses are almost identically positioned.
I want to ditch the hydraulic power steering of the Focus AND the EPAS of the fiesta for pretty much the same reasons complexity and weight! I am looking at a simple early Miata rack and pinion. This car doesn't need a complex steering setup.
I've gone on too much here. I am going to have a build thread in the near future where i will preface the plan. This thread is for a suspension kit or combination of ideal parts for a Fiesta!
i loaded an image of the 2002 Focus 2.0 zetec -manual transmission engine compartment layout that i am going to attempt to cram into a Fiesta..

Last edited:
City
Saint peters
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta s hatchback
Everything i have read indicates zero compatibility with the E.U. versions. I don't want to imagine the costs and importation hurdles if that were even possible!
As it is. I can walk around behind my shop and start the Zetec 2.0 i actually have! I didn't explore the possible use of the 2.0 duratec. It has many of the same types of controls as the 1.6 IE; throttle by wire, Stepper motor control of the throttle plate, and some other things to do with fuel economy and keeping the lid on peak rpms. I want something closer to cave man tech
The big issue with the Focus Zetec that I can see right now is the subframe will need to be altered to allow the reversed positions for exhaust manifold and the intake manifold versus the 1.6. The underhood fuse box in the focus is about where the brake fluid reservoir sits in Fiesta. Im not to concerned about that.
Everything else, the coolant reservoir, air box, View attachment 4726 battery location and cooling system hoses are almost identically positioned.
I want to ditch the hydraulic power steering of the Focus AND the EPAS of the fiesta for pretty much the same reasons complexity and weight! I am looking at a simple early Miata rack and pinion. This car doesn't need a complex steering setup.
I've gone on too much here. I am going to have a build thread in the near future where i will preface the plan. This thread is for a suspension kit or combination of ideal parts for a Fiesta!
i loaded an image of the 2002 Focus 2.0 zetec -manual transmission engine compartment layout that i am going to attempt to cram into a Fiesta..
That be somthing id like to follow.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Make that 2!

Get more, you'll have an Audience...

Not that the pressure is on - of course...
The interest is appreciated. Also, if any of you guys have had Gen one Focus in the past that you did mods on, i welcome the input! Or if you have some of those parts i would like to be a buyer of those things sitting in a box in your garage! Bigger injectors, throttle body, intake, cams and underdrive pulleys, or whole Zetec Focus head with port work and better cams, im not really interested in either turbo or supercharger upgrades. I already have a header and stainless muffler.
I opened the discussion of this swap possibility because of the almost ZERO percent chance of anything happening with the stock 1.6 drivetrain. I only say almost zero because "hope" is free. I have never twisted the ignition key on any car built out of hope.

City
STL
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE
I'm going the opposite way with the 2.2L pushrod motor I'm building for my truck. I'll be using Megasquirt to move to coil on plug, change to a 60-2 crank trigger, maybe one day go drive by wire and somehow frankenstein the VVT systems from the LS and 60degreeV6 onto it. I'm trying to get my hands on some forged flat top pistons to get near 11:1 compression, ARP head and main studs, Cometic head gasket, H beam connecting rods, etc. Hoping to get the truck down to 24-2500lbs, 200hp and 8k redline. Fortunately it has a world class T5 transmission, so changing gear ratios and the like should be within reach.

Oh, I can also run a traditional return line or a returnless style. They used a regulator in the fuel filter on these.

Last edited: