Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

15 Fiesta "J" code timing and p0017 code

Ecmech58

City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Expedition
Does anyone here have any REAL experience with this timing disaster that ford built.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
It’s not a disaster. It is pretty sophisticated and allows us to use 87 octane fuel In an Engine with 11:1 compression ratio. If there is any caveat with this engine it would be that regular oil and filter changes are even more critical to longevity than cars from twenty years ago. The coolant reservoir is also a weak area. If you don’t know how old it is, get a new one! When it fails it won’t be in a convenient place or time compared to just spending $40 and taking half an hour to get peace of mind.

OP
E

Ecmech58

City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Expedition
Thread Starter #3
I Saw a web site that has actually put a life expectancy on cars. The ford Fiesta was rated at 100k miles. Sounds like a throwaway car to me.
I told her once we get it running, it's gone and we aren't buying anymore Ford cars that are billed as "Global Manufacturing"

This engine was designed in Dunston something or other in England.
It’s not a disaster. It is pretty sophisticated and allows us to use 87 octane fuel In an Engine with 11:1 compression ratio. If there is any caveat with this engine it would be that regular oil and filter changes are even more critical to longevity than cars from twenty years ago. The coolant reservoir is also a weak area. If you don’t know how old it is, get a new one! When it fails it won’t be in a convenient place or time compared to just spending $40 and taking half an hour to get peace of mind.
I disagree. It IS a timing disaster. The crank sprocket isn't even keyed to the crankshaft! I'm not an engineer, but that has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen on a car. And I have never had a problem with the coolant resevoir. But then I didn't ask about that.

I have done the timing on a number of cars over the years. I certainly know what im doing. Never EVER have a run across this problem. Look on the internet, see the issues proffesional shops have with this. The engine is a disaster. As soon as I can get it to hold time, it is outta here. I will buy her a different car. Something that wasn't designed by Ford of UK or wherever this heep was designed.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I have seen fiesta’s with 260,000 and 300,000 on the odometer. So,like almost every other mechanical thing, maintenance matters.
You should get a Mercedes or BMW. I hear that they are so well engineered and designed that they get cheaper to maintain as the miles increase!

Last edited:
OP
E

Ecmech58

City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Expedition
Thread Starter #5
I have seen fiesta’s with 260,000 and 300,000 on the odometer. So,like almost every other mechanical thing, maintenance matters.
You should get a Mercedes or BMW. I hear that they are so well engineered and designed that they get cheaper to maintain as the miles increase!
The maintenance was done regularly. I'm curious what year yours is. Let's say it's a 2012. 10 Years old. At 300000k miles, that would be 30k miles a year? Really? 30k? I don't know anyone who drives that much. 15k maybe. 20 on the outside. But not 30k. I think you should start your post with

Once upon a time.... because it sounds like a fairy tale.

Hey admin... I don't see a way to disengage this blog/forum/fantasy land. Please delete me.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The maintenance was done regularly. I'm curious what year yours is. Let's say it's a 2012. 10 Years old. At 300000k miles, that would be 30k miles a year? Really? 30k? I don't know anyone who drives that much. 15k maybe. 20 on the outside. But not 30k. I think you should start your post with

Once upon a time.... because it sounds like a fairy tale.

Hey admin... I don't see a way to disengage this blog/forum/fantasy land. Please delete me.
Please go away. We don’t “delete people “.

Last edited: