Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Power Comes on but will not start whether in PArk or Neutral

City
Topeka
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SES
2011 Fiesta SES. This car is killing me. I have replaced the TCM, Neutral Safety Switch, Shifter Assembly, checked all fuses and relays along with the brake switches. When i turn on the car it will not start. I have power going to the Shift Solenoid but will not engage. Then sometimes out of the blue it will start. Maybe run for the day then back to nothing. I can move to neutral and it tells me to put it in Park. I do and still nothing. What am I missing? Whats left?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Have you cleaned the ground connections?
The primary targets for attention are under the battery tray and near the lower side of the transmission bell housing. You will need to remove the battery and tray to get clear access to the upper ground connections. The lower connections are easier to get to by getting the front of the car up on a pair of ramps.
You will need a few basic metric wrenches and a couple of small wire brushes and or sandpaper in 80 to 150 grit. Once you have the connections cleaned up and snugly tightened down, you need to put some petroleum jelly aka Vaseline onto the connections to seal it from moisture and corrosion.
You should also take the opportunity to get the battery load tested to ensure that it is in good condition. Weak batteries are not uncommon and can cause problems with the CanBus network. Just as bad ground connections can also do.

Attachments

OP
C
City
Topeka
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SES
Thread Starter #3
I cleaned the two of the connections, the one from the battery and the one on the front firewall. Did not know about the one on the tranmission, will dig into that one as well. I did a load test on the battery and it passed, have even had the charger on the car when trying to start as well. I hope it something simple as that. Thank you for the input.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
There’s more than one ground connection. Clean them all while you are in there! Modern cars are predominantly controlled by electrical and electronic components.I am guessing that you have had some other strange behaviors that would happen and then magically disappear. Maybe even a MiL that just appears and then goes away.